2022-23 Niner Basketball 🏀

Paging Gregg Marshall…

2 Likes

I just don’t see how Greg Marshall could recruit in todays world. What parent would sign off on their kid being coached from him? The stuff hes accused of at Winthrop and WSU just seems to make him untouchable. Sex scandals and cheating and all of that I think guys can recover from. Being a racist and physically assaulting players though? Not sure there is a statute of limitations where that is forgiven - especially when dealing with kids and predominantly African Americans

1 Like

Not necessarily. There are plenty of other coaches that have there own set offensive/defensive schemes that may fit our current personnel even worse. Instead of losing by 1 - 3 possessions a game, we could be losing by 10 - 15 possessions. Keep in mind that even Bobby was no better than middle of the pack in the A10. I do know that as it stands looking at next year, we will bring most everyone back a year more experienced in the current system and I’ve heard very good things about Rolf. If Folks, Graves & Berry work hard over the summer and take a leap up strength and aggressiveness wise, we should be able to compete in AAC 2.0. We still have time left in this season, especially if we win out at home, to get a top four seed in an improved CUSA. And if we finish those 1 - 3 possessions where we miss a layup or a wide open 3, we could win the CUSA tournament. As we’ve known for a while, unless you’re 21-1, you’re not going to the NCAA tourney without winning the conference tourney, so let’s wait till then and then start bitching. If Ron loses out, then yes it’s time, but unless you’re blind or just hold a grudge, you have to admit that the team is better than last year on the court (no matter what you think of the schedule) and as stated, should be even better next year.

1 Like

OMG…seriously???

Criticizing Sanchez…a career underachiever who has yet to win even ONE cusa tourney game in his tenure is absolutely 100% justified at this point. Because…yes the team is better and he still can’t do anything other than mid pack cusa with them.

And for you to take ONE season from Bobby and characterize him in the same manner we are characterizing Sanchez is laughable, insulting and stupid.

Bobby would run rule this team with ANY of his rosters…including his mid-pack A10 team. 4 out of 7 20 win seasons in CUSA 1.0 vs Cincy, Memphis, Louisville, Marquette, et al; 4 NCAA Tourney appearances and 3 NIT appearances in his 12 years; Career record 218-158 vs MUCH MUCH tougher competition…and you characterize him as a mid-pack A10 coach??? Jesus. Get your head out of Ron’s ass.

Oh yeah…and Bobby (even with his storied career) was fired after a 19-12 season, 9-7 in conference and a 5th place finish because it was deemed not worthy.

WTF has Sanchez done in 5 years remotely close to anything resembling worthy??

Bobby was let go when he started to slip…Ron is perpetual slip at his ceiling and yet here we are preaching continued patience, a lot of if’s and moral victories to justify keeping him. Why?

I don’t get it.

2 Likes

I could have sworn that Bobby coached more than one year in the A10, which was considered a major step down in competition based on some of the posters at the time as I recall, and I must not remember all the top 4 A10 finishes we had an NCAA tournament appearances during those years.

You’re making a pretty big assumption that everybody will come back. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if we get hard by the transfer portal. Actually I’ll go a step farther and predict we lose a couple of big pieces.

I agree. Brice is one I really worry about losing because he is our leading scorer and most talented offensive player, yet he can’t get in the starting lineup. If we don’t somehow finish the season up strong I wouldn’t blame him one bit for looking for a place he can start and win.

1 Like

Milocic is the main one I’m concerned with

2 Likes

Exactly. Sanchez is about his process and system, not coaching to his player’s’ talent

1 Like

Yeah I could see that too. He would have to sit if he transfers again but I’ve seen Ron get on him pretty hard a few times like they may not be on the same page.

AMEN and AMEN. WELL SAID AND KEEP IT COMING!

GO NINERS!!!

1. Lutz was canned because Judy hated him. What he did or did not do is no longer relevant.
  2. Sanchez has had ample time to build the program. Before I call for his job I want to see how we close.
  3. Ron has basically only had one year where conf tournament was in play, last year. His first year it wasn’t going to happen no matter the coach, year 2 and 3 were covid impacted. That leaves last year and this.
  4. The OOC doesn’t really matter if you can win in conference as FAU is showing. We all know conference play is all that really matters.
  5. I fully expect to see the transfer portal impact us again.
1 Like

Nope, just pointing out that the program has been on a long decline, that the last 4 coaches have not been able to reverse. Don’t know what the answer is going forward, just pointing out that changing coaches constantly is no guarantee of long term success. I doubt that Dean Smith or Roy Williams would have been Hall of Fame coaches if they were coaching in CUSA now and my fear is that the AAC could turn out the same long term based on how some of the teams are doing this year.

Covid? Are we the only team to deal with Covid? I admire your optimism, but I don’t share it

No, but the portal wasn’t open then and our recruiting channel had totally dried up with Judy’s failed Biff hire of Mark Price. The hire made an initial splash pub wise at the time, but I worried correctly that he had no recruiting network at all in place and that it would be an issue for a protracted time unless he could convince a bunch of NBA players that he knew to send their kids here. Thank goodness Biff seems to have a better pipeline base and thank goodness for the portal and thank goodness that the NCAA lifted the recruit class limits for the next two years.

Ron, if he’s still here, needs to figure out Alan’s secrets to bringing in more athletic rectuits. Whether it’s the head coach or the staff that’s primarily responsible for it, until he got sick, he had it starting to roll (even with the hair cut).

1 Like

Wah poor Sanchez. Alan sucked ass!! How old are you?

1 Like
1 Like

I have said this before. COVID happened to all teams, but they didn’t impact all the same way. We had kids with direct family members in ICU and had family and friends die. You might hold a 19 yr old kid to an emotional level to handle that and stay focused on a game, but I don’t. We also ended up with practices missing the coaching staff and had half the team in quarantine.

It isn’t Ron’s fault season 2 tourny got canceled and I am not going to hold him accountable for Ws and Ls when his team had far larger concerns than basketball. I also didn’t expect him to have the team turned around in year 1.

So if you are being objective that means Ron had last year and this to show what he can do in the tourny.

1 Like

Major’s success at recruiting was Desmond Oliver.