2022 49er Football Season 🏈

Send Hunter some good questions please. He cares and wants to do a good job.

I might ask him about existing DL depth. Are there any guys currently on the roster who can step up and replace the departures.

5 Likes

I know this was mentioned elsewhere but indulge me. When is the spring game?

Its on the first post. April 2nd.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised to hear “we interviewed a lot of people for DC but at the end of the day Marcus West is just the best fit for the job”.

Welp, Glenn Spencer took a job as WF LB coach instead of our DC position.

Either it’s West, money, or both, but there’s a problem when someone would rather be a position coach at Wake than DC here.

Friend move with passive rebellion

I mentioned in another thread how the shine is falling off in layers from Hill…it’s starting to come off in chunks off of Healy now too. With the debacle he’s endured from the 2nd half of the season collapse to the West friendship & hesitancy to fire/demote and now hiring ANY Defensive staff (where I’ve now heard up to 5 have declined the DC role).

3 yrs ago we had 3 extremely shined and buffed figures at the top of our AD and revenue sports in Hill, Sanchez & Healy…now, they are in a contest to see which one can deteriorate into a pile of rust the quickest!!!

I thought we were ready to go bigtime…but now, what a cluster/sh!tshow this is turning into…from basketball to football to AD all included!!!

1 Like

Sanchez is the sin. I am worried about Healy, but convinced about Sanchez. I can’t subscribe to bashing Healy as a bust and certainly cannot about Hill for Sanchez

I didn’t meant to imply they were all “busts.”

When Hill was hired and he subsequently hired Sanchez and Healy…it looked & felt like these 3 men were the saviors to our AD. These 3 men were going to turn everything around and take us to heights never seen before.

Now…all 3 seem to be nothing special at all.

Not busts per say…just very very meh.

The “shine” is gone…and still going.

1 Like

If Will fixes D and we go bowling next year then we are on track. If Mike releases MP and we have over $100 mil committed then we are on track. Both of those are still in the window of likely.

Ron on the other hand really feels like what he can do he has done and we are over due for his turnaround. Can’t fault the hire, but similar to Will and West - when it becomes apparent it isn’t working, you have to be able to cut bait. 4 years is enough for that. Last year I don’t hold him responsible for the record, but I also won’t give him credit for the jump from last year to this. Needed to see him pick up from the 19/20 season.

2 Likes

Still shining for me. Some damn good times with Hill and Healy and Woodard.

2 Likes

I agree that your “if’s” could change the narrative for Healy & Hill…but I I’m not sure I’d agree with calling both of your "if"s likely.

It could be slightly likely that Hill releases this grand plan with $100million committed…but it’s been 2 years since it was originally leaked and even after the AAC courtship…not a peep.

And Healy…how likely is it that he turns the Defense completely around in one season with no significant changes or additions…and the cluster that has been created on the defensive side with West still involved and a staff he can’t beg people to fill!!! Very tall task I am hopeful for…but would say is unlikely.

Woodard is certainly the shining star…just a shame Baseball isn’t the revenue generator that Basketball & Football are.

He is to baseball what I thought/hoped Sanchez and Healy would be. Healy’s 1st year was…and he has struggled since.

And I guess to be fair…Woodard has only done it for one year to this point. Let’s see where he is in years 3-4. But for now…he’s certainly appears to be the exception that we need to be the norm.

Healy lost his last 3 games of 2021 and our Niners offense scored 34,28 and 32 in these games. We don’t need the best defense, we just need a better defense

3 Likes

I think the MP is very likely. Yes it has been a few years since it was announced, but as I mentioned the AD was instructed to put it on ice when it wasn’t clear what funding was going to look like at the early stages of the pandemic. I have no idea what direction AD is getting from both school and system admin but that could have something to do with it as well. I have heard good things on the funding front.

With Will, as mentioned he doesn’t need to construct a top D, just a decent one. The offense typically scores enough and O is the calling card for the team. I think getting the D to a place where it gives up 14/20 is very doable. Hell just changing the scheme some might do that. Look at the turn around we had when Spencer came in. I still think money being paid is a bigger issue than West’s pressence.

He actually lost 5 of his last 6 with the lone win being against Rice in overtime.

The average score in those 5 losses was 46-23. Double our score…on average.

Again…we were ranked 120 out of 130 in all of D1 Football defensively.

Our D needs a lot of work even to get us to where the offense can carry us. And to this point…we lost our best LB, have yet to see any real impact stud transfers/additions…and no idea if there will be a scheme change because we can’t get any coaches to come here.

I’m hopeful…but again, not sure I’d call it likely.

clt bets the master plan is funded bigly…

we were the 2nd school into the AAC, they saw the deets

#P6

For the old folks like me, those home runs were probably just a few feet from being “too high”

2 Likes

One day this season, I think Big Maple could be the first ever to hit one that never comes down. It will be a satellite and weatherBrad will give us twitter updates on nights we will be able see the ball fly over in orbit

4 Likes