2022 College Hoops Coaching Carousel

Can’t fight the hate. Judy elevated us over the time she was here. We can all look back with 20/20 vision and wonder on some hirings, but none of the haters truly know all of the decision points she did/or didn’t have at the time. We are all tired of being irrelevant in BBall. I believe a change will be made, if warranted, after this seaon. That also is a big reason we may be having trouble getting transfers in this year.

Now I will wait for the usual suspects to assail me.

1 Like

Judy did a lot of good things, but she missed the boat on a lot of things, and yes, I blame her primarily for the demise of our crown jewel, men’s basketball.

1 Like

On transfers, I don’t think coach contract or hot seat matters as much. So many transfers are one and done. Those aren’t gonna care about what happens after they leave.

If that is what is preventing our recruiting, then it’s another reason to ask why we didn’t make a move to get a different coaching staff in here. The only thing I can figure is it is the current contract and it’s length.

1 Like

Mikes hire in basketball could not have been better on paper, he nabbed the top assistant on a Virginia team that was the most dominant team in the country the past 3-4 years previously, and in football he originally wanted Mike Houston who led James Madison to an FCS championship, and an appearance in the championship game, he settled on Healy after Houston reneged on his commitment, but Healy turned around what was the worst program in NCAA football at the time, and brought in top FCS recruiting classes to the worst program while he was there, so I personally have faith in Mikes ability to pick coaches based upon potential and credentials, and this is something that I had absolutely no faith in Judy to do

2 Likes

Judy did more harm than good, but there was some good. I’m not gonna rehash it all. I wish she had stuck with coaching womens bball and that Jeff had opted for staying the AD and elevated Melvin to HC. Mike has done mostly good thus far, but mens basketball is still a disaster and a lot is riding on the MP and fund raising. We shall see where we are in a few years then I’ll weigh in on how he compares.

“If “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts, oh what a Merry Christmas we would have!!”

3 Likes

Nah, I’ll come out and say it. Hill isn’t getting it done. At all.

Who was ad when we played in the soccer finals? Who was ad when golf finished 3rd in the nation? Who was ad when we were beating Cincy and Memphis? Who was ad when football started and we went to D1 with a wink and a nod?

As Joe Friday used to say. Just the facts ma’am.

It’s only Judy or Mike Hill.

Re-instate Judy as AD?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

If she had started football when she was given the chance or if she had supported the push for it then I might change my tune. She and Phil wanted us to be FCS the only reason we ended up FBS is she couldn’t find home for us without moving basketball. The disaster of basketball started under her watch and all of the success of basketball was in the back of Jeff.

I felt about Judy that I did about Bobby. It was simply time for them to move on. My point is that it hasn’t better. And I mean not at all. It should not take this long to show progress. I don’t feel that that is asking too much

1 Like

You mean progress in basketball. That I agree with. We should have moved on from ron this season. Good hire turned out to be a bad one. The rest of things point to better and football had its best season with a bowl and his biggest thing is the MP which is something Judy never attempted.

My feeling is that Hill did the same thing Rose did. Price looked great as a hire but shit the bed. Sanchez is the same thing. Y’all can bag on the Major hire but the dude recruited better than anybody in the last 15 yrs. At least I had some hope with his guys out there.

And bringing up Mullins is a fallacy. Lutz was a coach removed from Mullins and recruited pretty well on his own. I could list them but y’all know the names. That’s a little revisionist in my eyes

4 Likes

Price was a desperate move, NBA players rarely work out in college. Major was was also a horrible hire on paper. He was an end of the bench assistant not the #2 guy ala Snchez.

All may end up failing but I see a stark difference in methodology with coaching hires.

1 Like

FWIW, Mullins was a desperation move too so we’re one for two on those. And, of course, he was a pretty good pro as well.

The Price hire was almost universally applauded as a “great hire”.

Many applauded it. I did. However the track record is still legit bad for pro guys in the college ranks. It was a well shit why not kinda move. Worse than that though was how terribly mismanged the program was and still the only reason Judy fired him midseason was to throw the heat off of her after she extended Lambert after his 1 win season.

He was a shooting coach with no prior head coaching experience. It seems to me like most thought it was a high risk high reward hire.

Maybe I’m remembering through my prism but don’t feel like it was as you stated.

It ended up being a catastrophe of epic proportions though, don’t think anyone can dispute that.

1 Like

And Mullins was a car dealer and an ACC television color commentator. Even bigger risk.

1 Like

I believe Mullins may have worked at Duke as an assist AD in some type of basketball role for a year or two….

And he brought a very successful HS coach in NC who played at Duke as well so they were connected to the region and used this to build their teams.

I promise you it was hailed far and wide, even nationally. You can look it up if you want.