2023 49er Football Season ๐Ÿˆ

On paper, all signs point to significant improvement, but we still have to prove it on the football field.

3 Likes

92 days until the Spring Game

1 Like

Post this article in the teamโ€™s locker room and in the coaches offices.

1 Like

I can certainly understand why anyone not as familiar with Biffmas as we are would think we were a bad team that lost a lot of our best players and are moving up a conference while taking on a HC with no significant college coaching experience, and see us as coming in last place.

1 Like

We have them right where we want themโ€ฆMuhahahaha

2 Likes

โ€œCollege Football News
2023 College Football Rankings 1-131 Offseason First Look
125 Charlotte - Defense, defense, DEFENSE. The 49ers have the guys on one side, but the defense needs to be night and days better.โ€

Doesnโ€™t appear that someone has looked at what we have done with the portal and recruiting.

4 Likes

Who will be the starters at the cornerback position? Anyone want to share their thoughts?

1 Like

Way too many new names to predict much. Maybe the spring game will give us some hints.

4 Likes

Tracking the AAC thru the years and there is a direct correlation between quality of the QB/rankings in the league of QBs and where teams finish in the league. Many of the top teams have had QB1 & QB2 as highly rated P5 transfers.

It is an offensive league, until we show that we can fill those QB gaps we will continue to rank and possibly finish very low.

Yeah I just donโ€™t know how anyone can get a clear read on next season. Even after spring game we wonโ€™t know what this team really looks like. Just going to have to wait for first game. Logic says we wonโ€™t be good, but nothing about this hire or process has followed normal logic.

2-2 at minimum is a must in non-conference play!

1 Like

Good point and it is pretty clear what the view is on success of stepping up from College level to NFL (Urban Meyer, Spurrier etcโ€ฆ).

Would have to think the HS to College coaching step up is even considered more challenging and more frowned uponโ€ฆ Gus Malzohn did it but started as OC for a number of years first at the College level, also was a QB/Offensive innovator.

This is my biggest concern. I am not trying to be a pessimist but the QB room is not established enough for what I think it will take to be competitive in the AAC. I have expectations of defensive improvement, but we just lost a 6th year QB and 3 stud WRs. OL should be better but we donโ€™t have established playmakers. Iโ€™m hoping I get wowed by some new faces at the spring game.

Maybe somewhat ironically, we might end up with the complete opposite problem we had last season. A solid defense but an offense that has trouble scoring.

1 Like

The guys are putting in work. That makes me feel better.

3 Likes

I agree with what you are saying about QB. But, I believe a strong defense is where it starts to be competitive. If we go 0.500 next season I will consider that a win. Mainly because of where we finished last season, and the tougher conference we are going this coming season. But, that wonโ€™t happen without a strong defense.

In my opinion, I believe a dominant defense can make up for lots of warts elsewhere. Not a good defense, but a dominant defense. The better our defense is, the more we can rely on running the ball and field position. With a dominant defense, punting is not a bad outcome for your offense.

They literally just every new team entering the AAC and dumped them at the bottom of their rankings

Top 7 AAC offenses last year averaged 31 pts +โ€ฆโ€ฆ bend but not break D is key to success if you can manage FGs instead of TDs.

I hope we do have a dominant defense. When I see teams with bad offenses, they have hope. They think they are close; maybe a play or so away.

When I see offenses dominated by a superior defense, I typically see offenses give up and try to survive to the next game. It gets into their heads and that tends to carry over to big plays on special teams. I love watching great defenses.

Any more names we want to pick out?

2 Likes