2023 49er Football Season 🏈

Yea I had to put the governor on, would have been real easy to kick it into second gear last year haha.

1 Like

Have to agree with NWA. The last time I really pulled a huge drunk was the Spring game. Tequila shots will do that. Hopefully I have learned my lesson.

1 Like

New guys out there doing workouts.

1 Like
  1. Charlotte
    Another 49ers season in the books full of disappointment following yet another losing season. The young program ended their 10th season since reviving the team in Charlotte tied for last in the Conference USA (the 3rd time since joining the conference in 2015) and had very few good moments, other than a rout against conference opponent Rice. Charlotte hired new head coach, Francis “Biff” Poggi hoping the former Michigan Associate Head Coach can change the story 49er fans have endured for too long now. I think the conference change is a step in the right direction for this program, but the loss of redshirt senior QB Chris Reynolds as well as having an atrocious defense, giving up the third most points per game in all of FBS football, may prove too much for this team in its first couple years entering The American. Early trips to Maryland and Florida in September will test this team beyond doubt before a tough and familiar conference schedule.

clt says that author clearly hasn’t looked at our new croots

2 Likes

Taking into account the source of the article; I’ll pass.

1 Like

On paper, all signs point to significant improvement, but we still have to prove it on the football field.

3 Likes

92 days until the Spring Game

1 Like

Post this article in the team’s locker room and in the coaches offices.

1 Like

I can certainly understand why anyone not as familiar with Biffmas as we are would think we were a bad team that lost a lot of our best players and are moving up a conference while taking on a HC with no significant college coaching experience, and see us as coming in last place.

1 Like

We have them right where we want them…Muhahahaha

2 Likes

“College Football News
2023 College Football Rankings 1-131 Offseason First Look
125 Charlotte - Defense, defense, DEFENSE. The 49ers have the guys on one side, but the defense needs to be night and days better.”

Doesn’t appear that someone has looked at what we have done with the portal and recruiting.

4 Likes

Who will be the starters at the cornerback position? Anyone want to share their thoughts?

1 Like

Way too many new names to predict much. Maybe the spring game will give us some hints.

4 Likes

Tracking the AAC thru the years and there is a direct correlation between quality of the QB/rankings in the league of QBs and where teams finish in the league. Many of the top teams have had QB1 & QB2 as highly rated P5 transfers.

It is an offensive league, until we show that we can fill those QB gaps we will continue to rank and possibly finish very low.

Yeah I just don’t know how anyone can get a clear read on next season. Even after spring game we won’t know what this team really looks like. Just going to have to wait for first game. Logic says we won’t be good, but nothing about this hire or process has followed normal logic.

2-2 at minimum is a must in non-conference play!

1 Like

Good point and it is pretty clear what the view is on success of stepping up from College level to NFL (Urban Meyer, Spurrier etc…).

Would have to think the HS to College coaching step up is even considered more challenging and more frowned upon… Gus Malzohn did it but started as OC for a number of years first at the College level, also was a QB/Offensive innovator.

This is my biggest concern. I am not trying to be a pessimist but the QB room is not established enough for what I think it will take to be competitive in the AAC. I have expectations of defensive improvement, but we just lost a 6th year QB and 3 stud WRs. OL should be better but we don’t have established playmakers. I’m hoping I get wowed by some new faces at the spring game.

Maybe somewhat ironically, we might end up with the complete opposite problem we had last season. A solid defense but an offense that has trouble scoring.

1 Like

The guys are putting in work. That makes me feel better.

3 Likes