2023 49er Football Season 🏈

I’m telling you Bobby made his schedule, Alan made his, Mark made his and Ron makes his. ADs do not make basketball schedules unless the staffs need assistance lining up certain high profile opponents or playing somewhere like Spectrum center. There is a site coaches go to ask for games. Think of it as dating for college basketball programs.

A big part of the reason our ooc schedule sucks is because we suck. We have to win more games in OOC and in conference to build a better schedule.

Football schedules take more work and more contacts and because there are far fewer ooc games lined up years in advance ADs take the lead in crafting those schedules. Mike has absolutely taken the lead on foot schedules and has a ton of contacts - especially in the SEC.

FWIW baseball staff crafts baseball schedules not AD.

It isn’t an IQ test. It’s basic knowledge of how scheduling works in college sports. Apparently you were not aware that this is how it worked. Now you are. The more you know….

5 Likes

As far as football schedules go we played at Kansas State in 2017 because Lambert wanted to play a game verse his alma mater and we are playing at Florida this upcoming season because Mike and Jessica wanted to go back to their pals in Gainesville.

1 Like

Looks like we are ECU’s homecoming game. I hope we can represent well on the field and off.

2 Likes

Memphis was ECU’s homecoming this past season. So there’s that.

2 Likes

Never implied Mike made Ron’s schedule, but I believe Mike could have influenced the decision to schedule softies to get people like many of you excited about this season. It worked. Like you indicated, attendance improved to nothing to brag about levels. The basketball program has been leaving big money on the table in the form of empty seats. You are damn right to add our basketball program sucks. It’s an embarrassment and has been for way too long.

I am not nervous about football’s difficult schedule. It represents what our football program aspires to become. Same for our baseball program.

1 Like

Show me

Oh, I’m not going to go back and look up posts from long ago. You for sure said Hill kept the schedule weak to make Ron look better.

1 Like

You win.

No idea on predictions, but I find solace in that I doubt our new coaching staff is wasting time finding a trash can for turnover dunks or interviewing DJs for the locker room.

3 Likes

I neither know nor care who makes the schedules.

What I do know is that we scheduled soft as Charmin in hoops to pad the numbers.

In football we’ve got a big boy slate.

Those two things tell me all I need to know about both programs

6 Likes

From the tweet.

New Coach with way bigger expectations. I think we will sell tickets just fine for this home slate.

1 Like

I mean sure it would be much better if we had ecu and one of the p5 teams at home, but I don’t know if I’d call it horrible. Navy and memphis are going to be better draws than anyone we had in cusa.

1 Like

I hope we never schedule GA state again.

4 Likes

Bobby once told me his assistante schesules games.

GA State is a must win!

1 Like

Let’s hear everyone’s assessments of easiest games to toughest games next season!

1 Like

I’ll take a stab:

Easiest to hardest…

SC State
@USF
Ga State
@Tulsa
Rice
FAU
@ECU (lost a lot, I believe, still a tough game)
@SMU
Navy (pain in the ass)
Memphis
@Maryland
@Florida

It gets really hard to do in the middle. I put a lot of weight on road games and I dunno exactly how tough Navy is to prepare for. I may be overstating that. I think Memphis is gonna be really tough. Glad we get them at home.

Would like to hear some other opinions though. There are a bunch of you that know a lot about these programs.

Pretty much agree with your assessment. I do believe SMU has hit the transfer portal hard and may be as tough as Memphis.

1 Like