2023 49er Football Season 🏈

We were not really staying in the SMU game. They averaged 6 yards per carry with almost 230 yards rushing.

Georgia St killed us.

Maryland outscored us 29-6 in the 2nd half, so were we really staying in that game?

The only bright side to Florida was keeping it close enough to keep their backups and 3rd string from getting game experience.

The Niners are not any good. I will not be shocked if lose to Navy and EZU.

1 Like

I won’t be shocked if we lose either. I just said we wouldn’t get destroyed.

I do think we were in the SMU game and MD and UF. Just depends on your disposition on how you view those games.

1 Like

I would not be shocked if we get destroyed either. Maybe I should try to sell my 4 Navy tickets and spend all the proceeds on a $70 bottle of Glenmorangie. Maybe I could break even

You probably should. Additional alcohol would likely help your life view. I have a bottle of that you can have.

I disagree with NWA often, but not this time. He is correct, we were IN the SMU, FLA and UM games in the 4Q. No debate.

1 Like

Eh, “in” may be a bit of a reach but we didn’t quit I’ll give us that. UF prolly the closest tome

1 Like

No…we were IN them.

Agree to disagree

Early 4Q scores: UM 17-14, UF 19-7, SMU 27-16.

2 Likes

I think it speaks to our offensive woes that we can’t all agree that we were in them :slight_smile:

Uville beat me but:

I count being in the game as being within 2 TDs at the start of the 4th.

MD 17-14 in the 4th
GSU 34-25 in the 4th
UF 19-7 in the 4th
SMU 27-16 in the 4th

Now you may have felt like we weren’t going to win any of those games, but we were in them.

Our challenge is with the exception of MD we dug ourselves holes and with MD we played not to lose and acted like 14 points was going to hold for a W. If we can run a regular offense and give the D a break and minimize our own mistakes to a a manageable amount we can win some of these in the 4th.

2 Likes

I get your points but Maryland was wearing us down, that was easy to see. Maybe you’re correct, a better way to put it was I had absolutely no belief we were going to win them.

1 Like

I agree with Hootie and MJG on this. We were closer in the GSU game at the start of the 4th than we were with SMU. I realize it doesn’t matter how you score, but the 2 UM scores were a bit of a fluke. We’ll probablly go the rest of the season and not have another 48 yd passing TD. At the start of the 4th against UF, yes the score was relatively close, but UF had 5 scoring drives to our one.

I think part of the reason people feel this way about UF and UM is because we didn’t lose as bad as we “expected” to lose (we covered the spread).

1 Like

Having said that, I’m not done with Poggi. Even with all of his brevado, I never fell for the quick turnaround predictions. It takes time for a first year coach. The keys for me have always been are we getting better and is Poggi able to sustain or improve on the season 1 recruiting.

1 Like

No debate? That’s right, you are one of the insane ones. You guys have different definitions of being in the game. Like, showing up doesn’t count. Not quitting doesn’t count. Statisticians could debate probabilities. The only they that should be considered in the game is if a team is a legit threat to win the game. The Niners showed no evidence of being in those games.

Which ones were the Niners “in the game”? At least half that list, and especially SMU and GAST prove my point. This team does not have an offense. None. Zip. Nada. No bueno

1 Like

You really arent very smart are you?..go back to telling us about Kenny Montana being a lock for the HOF. Yeah, that was a brilliant take.

If being within 2 scores in the 4th isn’t in the game to ya I dunno what to tell ya….

Like I said maybe you didn’t feel like we were gonna pull any of them out because the O sucks and the D was gassed but they doesn’t change the fact that all of those games we had a chance going into the 4th.

It’s aren’t, not arent. I have one of my kid’s old LeapPads for you.

You are right. I mean, how are we not 4-1? We had those teams right where we wanted them, and we let them off the hook! Thanks. I will take that Scotch now