2023 49er Football Week #11 Charlotte vs Memphis 11/11 2:00 PM ESPN+

Well, a huge opportunity for a shock the world moment. :rocket::rocket::rocket:

If we can jump on them early we might pull it off. Would be the next step for the program to win a game like this and absolutely huge to do it at home.

2 Likes

Winning this one would definitley shock the league. Memphis fans would be in shambles. Lets hope Ivey and the offense can come alive and clicking in the first quarter.

clt says beating memphis in fb and mbb is necessary after the wsoc debacle

2 Likes

Yeah sixth seed mempiss women won the conference tournament. :face_vomiting:

Itā€™ll take a miracle but Iā€™ll be praying haha. Memphis is in SMUā€™s weight class, it feels like theyā€™ll be too much for us barring some breaks.

1 Like

They were the top seed and defeated the 3 seed in the final.

We canā€™t make the game Saturday unfortunately. I have four tickets in Section 104 on the aisle and red lot parking pass to transfer. No charge IF you are a Niner fan and IF you promise to use the tickets yourself. First person to message me. $1,000 each ticket if you are a Memphis fan.

GONE

2 Likes

Funny. Thought I saw they were the sixth seed. Needless to say I donā€™t keep a close eye on WSOC standings. :rofl:

If both quarterbacks are healthy, who should be the starter? Personally I have went back and forth on this each game basing it upon the previous weeks performance

I dont think that we can outscore Memphis, even if our defense plays well, they are going to put up points, I think that we have to slow the game down and dominate time of possession to win, keep their offense off the field, and Jones is best for that

I think Ivey can put up more points in a hurry but we wont win like that unless Memphis beats themselves with turnovers, or our defense plays lights out, if we get down big early in the game, put Ivey in open up the passing attack

Interesting logic. I understand where youā€™re coming from as far as clock management. 2 practical problems with it:

1. Jones is still hurt. He was hurt worse than Ivey.

2. Hard to deny Ivey after that performance.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/camwillsports/status/1722022343113912768

1 Like

On top of that, Ivey is more amusing. With him, the bandaid is ripped off if the play-calling doesnā€™t work, causing the drive to be quick. I hate watching Jones chip his way down field for nothing to happen. Ivey also opens up the opportunity for big plays (which we got a few of against Tulsa). Lastly, Iveyā€™s confidence is probably very high after the win, which has been lacked all season long on offense.

2 Likes

Ivey can hand off just as easily as Jones can run. Bottom line to be successful they need to stay out of 3rd and long. Canā€™t do that without throwing the ball and keeping defenses from stacking the box.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always wondered about handling the rotation between the 2 if Poggi really is committed to playing both when healthy.

Instead of switching back and forth based on whatever reasonsā€¦why not start one and give one a full half to perform. After halftime when teams make their adjustmentsā€¦come out and let the other play the 2nd half. At that pointā€¦there is no other halftime to re-strategizeā€¦and the adjustments made at halftime were geared towards the other QB that has a completely different skillset.

And if the starter is playing wellā€¦You could always leave them in for the 2nd half as well.

Just thin kthere could be a better way to rotate between the two other than whatever logic weā€™ve been using to date.

Conventional logic is to play one of them, period. Our coach is anything but conventional.

3 Likes

They may be #6 in the nation. I know they were top 10 when we played them.

Memphis is, indeed, the #6 seed in their bracket. However, there are 4 brackets, so that is equivalent to about 24th in the nation.

Correct. Memphis WSoc is 18-1 and ranked #8 in the latest USC Top 25.