2023 49er Football Week #2 - Charlotte @ Maryland 9/9 7:30 PM NBC

Our first ever broadcast on a national OTA platform. This is as big as it gets. Also, though Iā€™m sure Poggi will downplay it, this game has to be one he has had circled since he interviewed for the job - between his background in Baltimore HS football, the number of Baltimore HS and even University of Maryland transfers we have, and the Terps being a previous B1G foe - this is one you know he really wants. And it will be one of the toughest games we play all season.

Getting up to speed on how week 1 went for the Terps:

Lots of concern about their O line play in week 1. They are missing 1 starter and lots of new faces.

Five minute highlight reel of their victory over Towson:

Box Score:

Taulia was 22/33 260 3 TD 86 QBR; also ran 2 for 28 and 1 TD.

TE Corey Dyches had 6 catches for 108 yards and emerged as Tauliaā€™s go to.

I might post some from Phil Steele if I get around to it.

Did they score TDā€™s on their first 3 possessions? Box score said they were up 21-0 in first qtr.

Seems they were able to play 3 QBā€™s.

Line prediction? Maybe + 18 or +20??

Tagovailoa threw for three touchdowns and ran for one in the first half of Marylandā€™s 38-6 rout of Towson on Saturday. The Terrapins took their standout quarterback out late in the third quarter, allowing backups to play against an FCS opponent. But that was after Tagovailoa attempted a whopping 32 passes in the first half as Maryland pulled away.

I predict Maryland (-19.5), though Iā€™m no gambler. If itā€™s bigger than that, the oddsmakers are either leaning on last yearā€™s score and/or have the same concerns I do about our pass defense.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFTBL/status/1698365033284325379

2 Likes

For those who are not making the trip up to College Park, MD, where are you guys watching the game? I got the email about all of the ā€œwatch party locationsā€ but I honestly think there are too many. We should just all meet at one or two places. Thoughts?

Here is the list they provided:
Cabarrus Brewing Company
329 McGill Ave.
Concord, NC 28027

D9 Brewing Lake Norman
11138-C Treynorth Dr.
Cornelius, NC 28031

Dilworth Neighborhood Grille
911 E Morehead St.
Charlotte, NC 28204

Matthews - Macā€™s Speed Shop
142 E John St
Matthews, NC 28105

NoDa Brewing Company
150 W 32nd St.
Charlotte, NC 28206

Picassoā€™s Sports Cafe
230 E W.T. Harris Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28262

Sammyā€™s Neighborhood Pub
25 S Main Street
Belmont, NC 28012

Is anybody going to the game and tailgating? Me and a buddy are going and are wondering what lot other Niners will be in to set up.

1 Like

I think this dude will have no problem with the Maryland QB wanting to run. He is the Terminator!
Nikhai Hill-Green says ā€œIā€™ll be back!ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be there with another niner and some friends was just looking at the alumni meet up spot ā€œThe Hall CPā€ email says starts at 5 but Iā€™m looking to get to the area by 1-1:30. Does look like the Hall has a good venue so it might be a good spot to camp out atā€¦ :call_me_hand::call_me_hand: :beers:

Iā€™ll be there with daughter and cousin. I havenā€™t really looked into tailgate or anything yet.

My wifeā€™s aunt and uncle just sold their vacation home in Maryland. So rude.

https://twitter.com/Hunter_Bailey45/status/1698388501434073230

kate upton si swimsuit 2017 GIF by Sports Illustrated Swimsuit

clt says this game is big

Bumbles bounce

https://twitter.com/Hunter_Bailey45/status/1698405245267661213

Yeah. I think Vegas thinks they are going to throw all over us and we will struggle to score. With that O/U they are predicting a final score of like 40-14 Maryland.

GA State -7 vs a UConn team that only lost 24-14 to NCSU is also kinda :eyes:. Either NCSU is overrated or that GSU team is damn good.

Iā€™m thinking NCSU is overrated, or URI is in line for an FCS title.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering what look weā€™ll present to our first national prime time TV audience. Iā€™m guessing green pants, white jerseys and gold chrome helmets.

I think we wear St Francis something some where

God bless you ghostofclt

Could we pull a shocker? Something tells me yes. I donā€™t know, I just have a different feel about this game. I may be embarrassed butā€¦

We will shock Maryland after Saturdayā€™s tune up. Time to hit them again n the mouth.

I think our offensive coordinator knows Marylandā€™s strengths and weaknesses, and so I expect all our coaches to exploit that knowledge.