2023 Baseball Offseason Thread

Phillies spring training facility on the Gulf Coast serves as the site of the AAC baseball championship.

clt says that is a fun stadium to watch baseball. great choice!

And a Toyota dealership across the street.

1 Like

Significant upgrade from Hattiesburg & Ruston. Will be nice to be in the Eastern time zone too!!

Mr B invites clt to meet up at Frenchy’s for a Zima or 2.

3 Likes

New AAC looks to be a bit better, no? We bring better RPIs which is better for everyone. Be interesting to see if the non-conference game selections differ. 4 ACC series was strong and helped our RPI.

Old AAC and CUSA

New AAC (since North Texas doesn’t have a baseball team)

UH did OK, but UCF & Cinci didn’t have great seasons or schedules. UCF really fell apart.
The AAC Baseball is definitely improved with CUSA’s additions of UTSA, CLT, FAU.

I know Football and Basketball get all the press, attention, love, and money, but AAC baseball seems to be an improvement? No?

1 Like

I think the new AAC will be very similar competition wise to CUSA last season. The biggest difference I see is the investment in the baseball programs from the AAC. Top to bottom, I think the AAC teams are more invested in baseball facilities and coaches than what we saw in CUSA.

I broke down the programs back when we announced in October of 2021, but it’s a little outdated now.

Here’s my brief look at 2024:

Contenders

ECU- perennial Regional team, conference favorites
CLT- 2 regionals in last 3 years, on the rise
UTSA- Bubble team the past 2 years, need better facilities.
FAU- Top 75 team year after year despite facilities

We have 3 traditional baseball powers that have struggled of late, need them to figure it out.

Rice- 3 coaches in 5 years
Wichita State- 3 coaches in 4 years, new coach for 2024
Tulane- struggled but won the AAC Tourney last year

The rest:
Memphis- lost their coach to Mizzou
USF- nice facility, made a run to Super Regionals 2021
UAB- took a big step back last year, doesn’t seem like the investment is there

1 Like

Good looking spread.

1 Like

clt has visited that stadium for spring training and pounded some zimas!

BIG upgrade from cusa

1 Like

https://twitter.com/willbutcher15/status/1675518066027896836

Lots of new faces on the roster. By my count, we are up to 28 in this recruiting class between HS, JUCO, and the portal. Still sorting it all out.

49 days until the 1st day of classes!!

Why Butch? Come on man… I guess good luck and congratulations to Butch for graduating. I will always remember his long ball to deep left center, which set off a windfall of runs scored vs App State at the canon ballers field. Clutch Niner

Dont understand him or Jackson.

Yeah, me either-----------BTW, I really hate the portal.

2 Likes
1 Like

Hope he’s recovered! Saw him pull himself and felt for him. Speedy recovery!!

(must be a 6’6" thing. He’s got me beat! I wear a size 14 glove and I can almost wrap my fingers around a ball as well.)
lol

)

1 Like

6’6" 300 lbs, you ahould have been OL for the Cowboys!

LOL, I was a lot skinnier in college. Probably 220ish. I’ve eaten a 3rd grader since then.

I actually played junior olympic soccer in Ohio a few years in High School. I was a goalie. My senior year I was a placekicker on the football team. That was way back in 87/88 (Scab year) and the Bengals wanted me to try out for the Scab team. I had a few 65 yard field goals and a 49 yarder on TV. I walked on at Univ of TN as a placekicker. But 88 was the last year they let people use blocks. That got rid of the big guys with big feet…

1 Like

Do you have a recommended Niner gear preference?
I saw the OneCampus link on one of the podcasts and love the idea of baseball gear and the gear the guys had on (hats, sweatshirts, etc). But will have to wait until next window in March 24?

Fanatics and Niner Shop won’t ship to a PO Box.
Not that either selection was a nice as One Campus’ per the Podcast I watched.
Sucks I have to get 3XL or better 3XLT so options REALLY limited…

Want to represent this fall. Trying to gear up.

4 Likes

One Campus is great. I think they will be opening up for orders in the fall.

Honestly, the best baseball gear that I have has come from joining the Grand Slam Club. You get team issued gear and help the program raise money.

Another spot I’ve noticed some baseball gear is Norm’s Closet.

3 Likes

Thanks!
I signed up for One Campus. Fingers crossed for Tall sizing.

We’ll do the Grand slam club too. For sure. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes