2023 Baseball Week 1 - Ball State (ESPN+/ CUSAtv)

Very impressed with our pitching tonight. Definitely pitched well enough to win the game.

Ball St also pitched really well. Their starter did well and we were finally starting to get to him. Their coach saw a chance to ‘steal one’ and put in their best pitcher to go the rest of the way. Ryan Brown was a freshman all American last year and is supposedly the top draft prospect in the MAC. He pitched well, but we had him on the ropes multiple times and couldn’t get the clutch hit to break it open.

Credit to them. They made the pitches they needed to, when they needed them. They’ve burned up their 2 best pitchers in game 1, so lets see how the remaining 3 games go.

1 Like

They have to lay off the bad pitches. Sims was great

We lost our home opener last year to WVU. I think whoever threw out the first pitch for both of those games is bad luck.
:flushed::eyes:

1 Like

Mean Girls Reaction GIF by filmeditor

clt says this season is dun

The last out was another great catch

Hudepohl was good. Hale Sims was superb! All of our pitching yesterday was very good. Need to get the bats going! Defense was good. Base running hurt us a few times too. Much to look forward to this season.

Yep. Just throw it all out and try again next year.

Ran ourselves out of a couple of potential innings and couldn’t get a big hit when we needed.

I guess bunting just isn’t something we’re gonna do. Couple of times yesterday it woulda been a good time to lay one down and get runners moving

1 Like

Win first game of double header today 9-4 over Ball State.

3 Likes

Looked good in the first game today, but not good at all in game 2. Where is this great pitching ive been hearing about?

1 Like

Team makes great come back after being down 0-5 to beat Ball State in the second game 9-5

4 Likes

Yep…Thompson answered the bell and the bats came alive.

1 Like
2 Likes

I agree with the bunting. Around the 6 th inning it became apparent that runs were going to be hard to come-by. In games like this, you may have to steal a base or move a runner with a scrifice. I guess steals were out because their catcher may be tough to steal on. But you can move a runner with a sacrifice and squeeze him in. But it is just first game. No need to get alarmed. The bats came alive on Saturday.

Data Analytics has absolutely destroyed bunting and stolen bases.

Per the data…outs are far too valuable to “give up.”

I hate it. So much strategy taken away just to “play the odds.”

2 Likes

sexy kate upton GIF

clt says we won 2 nice ones today

2 Likes

I doubt that we spend much practice time on learning to bunt. Guys can’t just turn on and off the ability to do it. We seem to have the ability to “steal” bases by knowing the strike zone very well, which may be the result of hours spent taking pitches from a pitching machine set to miss the strike zone slightly. BTW, I personally enjoy the traditional “get 'em on, get’em over, get 'em in” approach. I don’t get a vote on how the game is played, however.

We better practice bunting, individually or team. Bunting is baseball. 15 stranded base runners and we scored one run in game 1, it happens. It should not happened regularly if a team moves runners with an out. We have a great coach and I doubt he thinks bunting is useless. He might think he has enough studs to swing away. I thought I saw a video of them with a bunt during practice, but maybe I am too old.