2023 Baseball Week 2 - at Clemson (ACCNx); Host Army (ESPN+/ CUSAtv)

2 Likes

clt says it looks like no one has purchased anything from the CLEMPSON baseball store.

Where Are They No Fans GIF by Hashtag United Official

Look, I don’t want to make a big deal of this. Coach Woodard is a great coach, and we are fortunate to have him. Clemson plays a different style of baseball. Their style is not necescarily better, but it is different. And maybe we don’t have the speed to play a style like Clemson. I don’t remember how many runs Clemson scored off steals. But that style of play puts pressure on the opposing pitcher because he has to worry about a base runner more when he gets into scoring position after a base hit and a stolen base. In most games, that style of play will generate more runs. And it is a more exciting style of baseball. Most teams may not play that style now, and that makes it more difficult for teams to defend. But my main point is that we don’t have to develop that style of play on a day to day basis, but in a close game like opening day where runs are hard to come by it may be advantageous. And we should not be above , in a close game like opening day, trying to advance runners by a steal or bunt and try squeeze one in. But nevertheless I am excited about this team. But this is just my opinion. Others have a right to disagree.

3 Likes

Not a big deal at all. We specifically asked Woodard about it on the show (at the 22:00 mark of the youtube link). He went through their thought process and philosophy about it. I don’t think we are ‘above’ doing anything.

There are a few teams that play like that, ECU is one of them except they are more aggressive. They will bunt and steal until you make them stop.

On the base stealing aspect, keep in mind that our leading returning base stealer, Jake Cunningham has not played yet this year.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the last couple of years that for whatever reason we look really really easy to steal.

Maybe it’s just me

Army’s Friday starter last week was Hopewell HS grad Tanner Gresham.

https://goarmywestpoint.com/sports/baseball/roster/tanner-gresham/19724

His father was a catcher for the Niners 89-91 and played professionally for 9 years, mostly in the Orioles organization.

2 Likes

Promotions for the weekend:

Seems like weather will impact this weekend’s series in some fashion.

1 Like

clt says our baseball cars are upper deck, collect em all

Rotation for the weekend:

FRI- Hudepohl
SAT- Evans
SUN- TBD

Tanner Gresham will start for Army tonight.

Im starting to doubt some of the preseason hype about our pitching staff…just not seeing it YET. Offense not really coming through much yet either. I hope Cunningham can give that a boost, and its soon…looks like pitching will require us to have more offense if we are to do good things this season.

1 Like

Just as i posted that, Spolyar comes in for his first appearance and looks pretty good…Niners lose game 1 (again) 7-6 in 13. …looked like Austin may have pulled a hamstring too.

That was a great game. The Niners hit some long balls, but it was like heavy dead air tonight

The offense isn’t where it needs to be. The lineup was switched around a little bit tonight. Had the one big inning but could not get much else going. This offense is capable of more but they’re just not clicking yet. I hope Austin is Ok and he won’t miss much time.

Pitching was the question mark coming into the season with all the new arms but I’ve been happy with what I’ve seen overall. I think we’re still figuring out exactly how everyone fits in.

clt asks when Cunningham will be playing

I’ve heard he has been taking BP. I’d guess we might see him ease in as a DH soon.

I thought they hit very well tonight. They just didn’t fall their way. There many big hits that couldn’t make it into a gap. Their third baseman made solid plays on infield choppers. Army’s pitchers did well. I have to give Army credit and our guy’s credit for a hard fought game that went 13 rounds

Dragum has really struggled at the plate so far. Only 2 hits and 9 SO’s in 20 AB’s. Hope he gets going soon. He was a big part of our offense and such a clutch hitter particularly late last season. Butcher has been getting the bat on the ball, but right at someone it seems. Hope his hits find the open spots soon too.

1 Like

Play of the game