2023 Baseball Week 9 - Winthrop (ESPN+); at Rice (C-USA TV)

One last game at The Hayes before heading on the road for the Weekend.

Winthrop is 15-18 overall, 4-8 in the Big South. RPI is 117. The Niners are starting Hale Sims.

This weekend the boys travel to Rice. The Owls are 15-17 overall and 6-6 in the league (1/2 game behind the Niners). Their RPI is currently 88.

1 Like

Time to improve the old W/L ratio this week.

1 Like

Yep, time for a winning streak

1 Like

Good start. Winthrop pitcher taking his lumps in the first so far.
3-0 Niners

Okay that was clutch. Two Ks to get out of a bases loaded jam. I didn’t even catch the pitcher’s name, but that was awesome.

Still 4-0 good guys.

Here it is:

1 Like

Danye Evans

Fisher getting hurt seems to have “hurt” the team as well. No offense the last 2 at bats, after that play gifted Winthrop a second run. Now, an error leads to another W run. Lead down to 4-3 headed to B7.

1 Like

One other note…this HP Ump has given the BIGGEST strike zone i think i have ever seen. He has been consistent though. Both sides are getting 6 inches of extra SZ on all sides, high, low, left, right…Not pretty, but Niners hold on for a 4-3 win…it would have been nice if Fitzpatrick would have given ANY kind of update on Fisher. Not one word about him after he left the field.

2 Likes

Any updates in Fish ?

I’m sure he’ll be evaluated for a concussion as a matter of protocol. I wouldn’t expect to hear anything official until the lineup is announced on Friday.

2 Likes

6 Likes

2 Likes

Sitting 3 games out of first, we are going to have to start stacking wins to have a chance at the title. UTSA will likely go 9-0 over the next 3 weeks vs MTSU, FIU, & UAB.

Rice is improved from last season, but I’m not sure how much. We swept them here at the Hayes last year in a rather uncompetitive series. Against similar opponents this year we are 5-3 and they are 5-4.

Any rumors yet on Fisher’s health/availability?

We probably won’t know anything until Friday when the lineup is put out. He did appear in this video today FWIW.

1 Like

Looking like the AAC is just ECU and then everybody else. No one is in the Top 100 RPI besides ECU. Good thing the good baseball teams in CUSA will be coming in next year.

Here’s a peek at what the AAC teams for next year are doing in RPI:

East Carolina 11
UTSA 38
FAU 40
Charlotte 66
Rice 92
South Florida 128
Wichita State 136
UAB 183
Tulane 188
Memphis 192
1 Like

clt says the memphis folks claim to be investing more in baseball, we will see

They just hired a new coach this season and installed a new turf field so lets see if they can turn it around.

Game Notes: