2023 CBI Tournament, 3/18-22 FloHoops + ESPN2

Niners will next face the winner of Sunday’s #6 Stetson vs #11 Milwaukee game. As mentioned as nauseum by moi, UWM is coached by former Queens HC Bart Lundy and team is led by 6-6 BJ Freeman (17.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3 apg) of Selma, NC. Need to do my “homework” on the Hatters!

1 Like
4 Likes

Man, I had the Cullowhee Catamounts as the tournament Cinderella team in the office pool. How did you guys do in your CBI Tournament Office Pools?

Awe shucks, it was a glorious first half holding the Sanchez powerhouse to just 20 points, but alas, everything turned to pumpkins. It could be all the readily available alcohol in Daytona compared to Cullowhee.

Is flosports streaming this from a flip phone? That looks like terrible production value.

Yep, no alcohol in Jackson County :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So you would have had an NIT office pool?

1 Like

Naw. The CBI pool is for big money. You have to pay to play the pool.

They’ll bet on anything in Vegas. We covered yesterday.

1 Like

All kidding aside, if this gives the team a chance to continue doing something they enjoy, then who are we to belittle them? Maybe if the games don’t really matter, then maybe JT can get out of his head and find success. Maybe Brice will realize if he plays the 1st half, the way he played the second half every game, he can be a player of the year in conference. Maybe it gets Igor a little more time playing center, which I think depending on match ups, he could thive at if he develops a back-to-the-basket game. Maybe it gives staff more time, if they’re back, to figure out what lineups work best in which situations

With the limited amount of practice that teams are allowed now, any additional time can only be beneficial. If for nothing more than the players getting a chance to get better going into next year, accept it as an opportunity for that much.

2 Likes

Why would this extra practice time help when the last 20 weeks didnt? We got worse as the season went on. Why would that change? This is major college athletics. Its not about doing these kids a solid and let thrm keep playing.

4 Likes

The only way it even remotely makes sense is if Ron can hold roster together and even then it’s debatable if it’s a smart investment. If it didn’t cost us nearly 30k plus travel to participate I wouldn’t be as critical. We already did this in the preseason trip they took. Spent extra money, gave them extra practice time and our ROI was pretty crappy final half of the season out of that investment.

I don’t see why we think the minimal extra practice and playing time we are picking up from this exhibition at the end of the season will yield any different results than what we have already invested.

I think Aly could dunk on that goal :thinking:

1 Like

Then why ever play a tough schedule if one game in no way helps prep you for the next? Teams that have lost for a while, have to learn how to win. Same in any sport. That’s why so many people were criticizing the Tarholes for not competing in the NIT.

2 Likes

In today’s action, #8 Eastern Kentucky beats #9 Cleveland State 91-75 in OT after dominating the extra period 17-1. Quiet day for ex-Niner Cooper Robb with 3 pts, 3 rebs, and an assist. A CLT vs EKU match up can only happen if both make it to the championship game.

BTW, #12 Rice over #5 Duquesne 84-78.

Practice at Daytona State College (20,000+ students JUCO):

1 Like

We should be inspired by the school colors here. :laughing::wink:

5 Likes

The issue is these are games at the end f the season in a crap ass tournament. Like I said we already did this. We did it in the preseason.

1 Like

No sense in debating this. It’s a crap tourney and everybody knows it even though some try to prop up its merit

3 Likes