2023 Football Recruiting Thread

I’ve honestly lost track now so maybe it’s not as bad as I’m thinking. But it seems we’re bringing in a ton of talent on the defense to make an immediate impact. But it also seems like a ton of them will be one or two years and done. We’ve got to either hit the portal hard every year if this is the way we’re going to do it or we have to make a change and bring in some younger talent too. Hopefully Poggi has that planned out and this is only for the immediate impact.

Hey. A good 6’6” German kid, sorry, grown man, that the real USC offered? I will take a one and done year! We are looking scary good

1 Like

If a guy is 6’7”, does competitive skiing, can play soccer, then he must be a natural defensive end. Que up some work out sessions with Alex Highsmith, please. Dude has NFL size and skills, just needs experience to get there. Nice story

1 Like

We are going to need bigger stairs!

1 Like

And bigger uniforms. I actually thought that.

1 Like

I am excited about all the great defensive players we are getting. But, one thing I definitely believe is that a good offense can help your defense. We have some young talent at QB, I would like to see a QB with some experience from a good program.

2 Likes

Catching up after being sick today.

The Biff love is real. These guys are flocking to their former coach because they love and respect the man.

My assumption is he will be effective in developing that same loyalty with his own fresh recruits and he will also be a very strong recruiter.

As far as having to hit the portal every year because a lot of the guys will only have one year, I think it will come down each year to a baseline level typical of a strong G5 team (yes I said strong G5 team because that is what we are going to be) because the coach and his staff will establish their recruiting and development timeline.

Winning will help develop that pipeline and these transfers can help us win.

I could not be more excited.

5 Likes

Most of the guys have 2-3 yrs instead of just one which gives us time to keep the recruits coming to us

Even better!

Yeah, but remember, we have had zero defense for 2 years or more. We will never go back to anything close to an equivalently bad offense; especially with an offensive with stud running backs and alpha offensive linemen

2 Likes

OK, I am sure this will not be popular, but we lost our QB1 and our top 4 receivers from last year. Not sure how we go “over the top” after establishing the run. We picked up some portal WR’s but we seem to be focusing mostly on D. Here is where everyone is going to go nuts… I am afraid we are falling into the Sanchez issue, the game has changed and their game plan hasn’t. FBS is now about offense, look at the final 4 in playoffs. I look at the final scores of all the AAC team scores from last year and they all put up numbers. flame away :slight_smile: believe I want to be wrong

1 Like

The NFL is about quick strike offense now. FBS is still about having better players.

2 Likes

clt says biff isn’t finished recruiting

1 Like

Lets just enjoy the moment !

5 Likes

Have we confirmed how the 85 players on scholly cap works?, my guess is when spring semester starts you can only have 85 players on a scholarship……when summer starts you can have as many players working out on campus as you like, first day of summer practice you have to have your official scholarship roster for the fall. But again not sure, as Summer school is probably another component here.

https://twitter.com/j4ymyles/status/1615420738457968640?t=AUQBD-K9ngGZxQtFEKGL8g&s=19

https://twitter.com/Hunter_Bailey45/status/1615428302654562325?t=4ITNRoZ99qXYrgpZULPRNw&s=19

https://twitter.com/Hunter_Bailey45/status/1615428306353938441?t=ePmvHIaymz9xIAuhsXKkow&s=19

Looks like QB commitment is in. Transfer from Jackson State by way of Bethune Cookman last season.

H.S. Scouting Report

EVALUATED 08/31/2018

JohnGarciaJr

John Garcia Jr.

PROJECTION

Power-5 Starter

COMPARISON

Brett HundleyARIZONA CARDINALS

Tall, well put together dual-threat quarterback prospect. Run-first threat as a prep star in the Washington, D.C. area with good production at multiple stops along the way. As a passer, very compact release, over the top motion and good arm strength. Mechanics improved junior to senior year. Can stand to improve accuracy in short to intermediate throws. Can make throws fairly consistently on run but takes risks outside of pocket. Nimble in tight quarters with great change of direction. Natural runner in the open field with vision and shiftiness in space. Strong relative to size and position. Comfortable in pocket but lacks considerable progression reps.Experience in RPO game with quick trigger. Decisive as runner with good burst and some power. Great bloodlines as mother was 1992 track and field Olympian and father was captain of Colorado’s 1990 national title team. True dual-threat with improved consistency in passing game could lead to starting Power Five gig down the line.

Athletic Background

Jalon Jones is a 6-3, 205-pound Dual-Threat Quarterback from Baltimore, MD.

Below is an interview he did when he left JSU for B-CU:

2 Likes

Scarlett Johansson Reaction GIF

1 Like

I believe this is a PWO spot:

2 Likes

My first thought on the Jones commitment, especially after watching his interview - he is a sharp, older guy with good experience. He will bring all those qualities.

That said, I think the battle for QB1 is gonna be interesting. I wouldn’t count Xavier Williams out just yet.

2 Likes

Big man can run!

1 Like