2024 Baseball - Week 6: Davidson @Kannapolis (YouTube); Gardner-Webb (ESPN+); AT FAU (ESPN+)

Geez…another terrible game…this is getting bad. We are now tied with a 6-13 Gardner Webb team who came in on a 4 game losing streak. Of course, we came in on a 3 game losing streak. Edit…we are now losing 4-3 in the 6th…we are literally making multiple errors in the same inning now. We are brutal. 2 errors and then a wild pitch on 3 consecutive plays. 4 pitches later, another wild pitch scores another run for GW. We are now down 5-3. We are now making the Davidson game last night look great. :face_vomiting: . Now 6-3 after we misplay a fly ball in right field that should have been the 3rd out. We are terrible in the field, below average in the BP and terribly inconsistent at the plate. Another wild pitch and misplay by 3rd base. Now down 7-3 and counting… We are the Bad News Bears!..8-3 now…all this is in the 7th inning and,STILL going.

I would generally defer to your expertise on this team, but i just dont see much talent on this team. They have been too consistently poor in all phases of the game. If it was just pitching or just hitting i would have more hope of better results but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. I 100% hope i have to eat my words.

Rock bottom. Punked by GW.

1 Like

clt says an at large bid is done, we are having bigly issues

1 Like

No doubt.

Great to see Sarver back and getting an inning !
I know Cas has had a little set back but are Jones and Okerholm hurt as well ? Havent seen Jones throw at all and Christian had some good numbers but has been a ghost. He gave up a couple homers but very few havent.

I feel certain that there have been worse two days stretches in program history, but I can’t think of them at the moment.

I have been following this program a long time and i can’t either.

I don’t really follow the baseball team very closely. I don’t follow our signees. I don’t attend the games. The info I get, I get on this board. Maybe it’s me, maybe I’ve read stuff here and got the impression our baseball team was supposed to be good. Now I read the last week of posts about the games and it seems we are majorly bad, if not terrible.
Very disappointing and I guess shame on me for getting an inaccurate impression of the team from what I’ve read here.
Bottom line, I want every NINER team to win every game in every sport. Sadly disappointing season.

There was too much turnover to have accurately predicted what sort of team we would have this season.

Like basketball and football, we never know what we have anymore until the games begin.

And this is one BIG reason I’ve lost interest in college athletics. I’m guessing that the big drop-off in interest will eventually affect NIL money. Wouldn’t THAT be the S###S!

Predictions are never guarantees (obviously) but with our success over the last 3 years AND the fact that we were picked 2nd in the AAC (preseason poll) behind ECU I assumed (mistakenly, I guess) that we would at least not be dramatically down from last season. Those “experts” (coaches, I think) seem to have been wrong. I’m confident we will improve over the remainder of the year, but the “eye test” tells me that this team is by far the weakest in Woodard’s tenure and weaker than some of Hibbs as well. It reminds me more of some of our A10 teams.

Hopefully we get better as the season goes. I bought into the hype around being picked #2 in conference but unfortunately, we’re not very good.

1 Like

That was the league’s coaches that voted us 2nd. I was surprised. However, I took it as a show of confidence in the coaching staff. There wasn’t anything else to base it off of. We’ve got 29 new guys on the roster. We’ve put a bunch of guys in the minors the las few years. You don’t just go find a plug and play Cam Fisher, Jake Cunningham, Jack Dragum, etc.

Some of these guys are obviously having a hard time transitioning to D1. I’m not surprised by this. Thad Ector is the exception, not the rule.

These guys have got to decide how tough they are. Crap happens in baseball. You’ve just been handed two of the most pathetic losses in recent memory on back-to-back nights. You couldn’t combine the rosters of both opponents and have more talent that the our rosters has. It’s unacceptable. The question for these guys is: what are you going to do about it? Hang your head or get pissed off make it better?

In the end, I have every confidence that this staff is going to keep pushing buttons until something works. It takes what it takes. It’s just a matter of guys deciding what they want to do with their talent. Conference play starts in about 24 hours. Let’s go.

6 Likes

clt says we have to win the AAC tourney now, that should be our only focus

1 Like

There is plenty of talent on this roster. If they weren’t talented then they wouldn’t have been recruited to come here. We’ve seen glimpses from some, but most have been very inconsistent. I guess that is all part of adjusting to the game at this level. Some may click this season, others may take a year to settle in at this level. I would say that we are inexperienced, not untalented.

The defense this season has been very uncharacteristic of our teams for the past 3 seasons. We’ve had some of the best defense in program history the past 3 seasons. We took for granted having guys like Dragum, Furman, Knight, and Cunningham up the middle for the past 3 years. Hard to replace those guys.

3 Likes

I agree that we have been great defensively for several years (even solid under Hibbs, but exceptional under Woodard until this year). I agree to seeing glimpses of real talent (Ector, Sutryk, Lastres, Correa) with the bat but I can’t say I have seen much real glimpses on the defensive side. For example, Lastres, has not been good at most games defensively—at least not compared to Hopsen---- and I really hoped he would be good as Hopsen’s inability to throw guys out is his major weakness, while he is good all other facets.

Our starting pitching has not been great (with a few exceptions) but it is better than our bullpen, with the exception of Rossi and AJ Wilson, of course. So, this really shows up during the week. I think we have been lucky to have played a pretty weak mid-week schedule so far.

I’m a glutton for punishment when it comes to all Niner teams so I will still be watching but this (so far) has been the most disappointing baseball season in a long time.

Tony Rossi has now entered the starting rotation.

Afternoon baseball today!!

3 Likes

I don’t think we’ve ever played a series on schedule down at FAU. Rainout today, DH tomorrow.

1 Like