2026 49er Football Week 3 - Game #3 @ App State - 9/19 6PM ESPN+

Any watch parties at any local bars/restaurants?

Watch party in Hooties garage. Anybody close to Asheville come on over.

2 Likes

clt says we win by 4

4 Likes

Only App state watch parties come up when you search it for Charlotte

Albin’s coaching philosophy is descended from Tom Osborne by way of Frank Solich. Osborne believed that it was bad to hype the team up. He wanted the team to play consistently, not emotionally, because emotions have lows as well as highs. As a result, Osborne had very few games where he lost to a bad team. On the other hand, early in his career, he struggled to win key games.

Note that I’m not saying this philosophy is right or wrong, just saying what it is. An example was the change they made in the weight room. The prior strength coach was good, and motivated the players by trying to challenge them and fire them up. The new coach is also good, but motivates differently, by educating the players about why they are doing what they are doing, and how they will improve if they do. Both work. They are just different approaches.

As for the coordinators, I’m satisfied with Fitch. Everyone complained about his calls last year, but he had nothing to work with. If he called runs, they went nowhere. If he called passes, the QB got hit. This year, the QBs have time, and the offense has been doing a decent job of moving the ball. They need to get better in the red zone, but the offense is definitely good enough to win games.

As for Faanes, I wouldn’t call him boring. He has been mixing in blitzes, and changing fronts, etc. On the other hand, I also wouldn’t call him effective. The only reason Charlotte lost to Citadel is because the defense was totally ineffective after halftime. The defense did not slow Old Miss down at all in the first half. There was a glimmer of hope in the third quarter. If the defense is developing, and plays better from here on out, I may change my opinion, but for now, he will have to convince me that he can do the job. He is a great LB coach, but can he handle the DC job? I’m not convinced.

6 Likes

We could always hire this guy

I agree. So far I think the offense is looking much improved and capable of winning some games. The defense looks worse than last year so far and if it doesn’t improve will lose us nearly every game Do you think maybe having Nardo around last season helped Faanes run the defense more effectively? I know he wasn’t very good at Ok State, but he had at least been in charge of a P4 defense.

1 Like

Just got an email - apparently we haven’t fully sold out of our tickets allotment for App if you were still debating going.

If you are, please go ahead buy Tix - otherwise we have to return them and they will get bought up by App fans.

How many did they give us?

Not sure but we’ve sold about 500. Which is far too many for what this team deserves so nice job by fans

2 Likes

Nardo and Mattix. Mattix was co-DC last year, and previously, he had been DC for San Diego State from 2020-2023. Nardo was replaced by Tre Bell, while Mattix was replaced by Vic Cabral. Both are position coaches, for Safeties (Bell) and DE (Cabral), but I have no idea if the overall defensive knowledge that Nardo and Mattix possessed has been replaced.

Faanes is an outstanding LB coach, but he needs to grow as a DC, and he needs to grow fast.

1 Like

Yeah forgot about Mattox being here too. Doesn’t seem like we did a very good job of replacing all of the experience we lost on the defensive staff.

1 Like

I don’t think it will matter what watch party you go to watch the CLT game, at 7:30pm you will be moved to the small Black and White TV in the corner because the LSU/Ole Miss game coming on most TV’s

Found Footage Video GIF by Eternal Family

https://x.com/appsteve/status/2100961803790434432?s=20

1 Like

https://x.com/CharlotteFTBL/status/2101073435753373989

Would Picasso’s near the university have the game on?

Speaking of Picasso’s, has anyone been to the new uptown location on West Trade?

1 Like

I popped in and looked around. They had a good crowd for the panthers game.

I couldn’t get a seat at the bar so I left.

2 Likes

https://x.com/CharlotteFTBL/status/2101086123632271391

1 Like