3 Year Contract Extension for Alan Major

I would have preferred a rollover that could be terminated with a buyout clause. Be creative. Have a de-escalating buyout clause that is punitive in the first year and drops from there. Rollovers be easily spun as indefinite.

I have no problem with the extension. IMO Major has done well with the talent on our roster.

Does the Athletic Department meet with the Office of General Counsel for the U when negotiating these deals? A. Major has ZERO leverage right nowā€¦ I agreeā€¦ extend him with a creative contract for two years that wonā€™t hurt the U if he doesnā€™t deliver and has to get firedā€¦

We should have learned our lesson from Lutzā€¦ Just think what happened last time we gave a guy a big extension after an NIT one and doneā€¦

Thx Ken

[font=arial]His recruiting model is based on getting quality young men into our programā€¦ good basketball players with strong character [/font][font=arial]
Major is replenishing his roster after one player (DeMario Mayfield) was thrown off the team during the season and two others recently transferred (Darion Clark and E. Victor Nickerson).

??? [/font][left][font=arial]Read more here: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2013good [/font][/left]

The last coach who choked at yearā€™s end to turn a Ncaa team into a non-Ncaa team got fired, not extended. Hmmmā€¦

[quote=ā€œhootie, post:44, topic:27813ā€]donā€™t disagree about the timing- kinda odd[/quote]As mentioned above, Iā€™d guess the recent transfers and recruit are seen as positive signs. Iā€™d also add that recruiting is not a months long process for a program like Charlotte, the coaches have to be in on better recruits several years before they are seniors to build relationships. This is about 2014, not about 2013, which I doubt was much impacted by whether the coach had 2 years left on the contract or more.

Not sure I like a 3 year extension. I suppose the AD is ready to pay a lot more money if it doesnā€™t work out. But at some point they have to make a decision to extend or not. Seems like 2 years wouldā€™ve been safer. Hope it works out. At least Lutzā€™ contract will finally be off the books soon.

Major disaster !

Being a 49er hoops fan just gets harder and harder.

Alanā€™s part of the ā€œ49er Familyā€. Why would you be mean to him and only give him a one year extension? Yā€™all are talking like this is a business or somethingā€¦ ::slight_smile:

Omgā€¦nice. Favorite post Iā€™ve seen here in long time

Nothing says confidence like a 1 year extension.

Iā€™m not buying Major yet, but Iā€™m not ready to sell either. I donā€™t mind extending him for recruiting purposes, but Iā€™d rather see him get a two year extension. Three is just too risky to me.

It is a business whose customers are forced to pay for the product regardless of the product or if they even care (student fees). This is the way the AD likes it so that they donā€™t have to answer to anyone other than the non existent student voice and a handful of bigger donors. Everyone else with an opinion or thought is not of their concern.

It is a business whose customers are forced to pay for the product regardless of the product or if they even care (student fees). This is the way the AD likes it so that they donā€™t have to answer to anyone other than the non existent student voice and a handful of bigger donors. Everyone else with an opinion or thought is not of their concern.[/quote]
Bullseye

Can we change our mascot to a chicken with its head chopped off in honor of our fanbase?

Might as well have more than one mascot. We have plenty of brands already.

Might as well have more than one mascot. We have plenty of brands already.[/quote]

Really? I think we only have oneā€¦ a bad one LOL

I suppose Iā€™m in the minority but Iā€™m fine with this. All it really means is that weā€™re giving him another 2-3 years to figure out if he can coach. You have to give a coach at least five years to prove himself after the previous coach was fired.

This is like a bad nightmare I cannot wake up from. I originally though this thread was a joke. You are telling me iā€™m going to have to endure through five more years of Alan Major basketball? I am really on the fence on buying basketball season tickets next season and this announcement today doesnā€™t provide me any enticement to do so. Judy and Phil please retire!