3 Year Contract Extension for Alan Major

Dude, you’ve always said that if we want to be a bigtime program you have to act bigtime. Whether he is the answer or not is debatable but you can’t have the coach of your flagship program trying to recruit as a lame duck. You know that.[/quote]
Why wait until signing season is over? If this was in works, annc it 2 mo ago and maybe we arent looking for warm bodies.
Just sux, the guy is a ymca level coach, motivator, public persona. It will never work and its sad as an ex fan who used to love uncc hoops. Its just pathetic what she is doing long term

[quote=“marcushe, post:38, topic:27813”][font=Verdana][size=78%]Earlier today I thought Major’s original contract was three years not five. So a three year extension means five more years (two existing + three new) instead of 3 more years.[/size][/font][/quote]Who the hell is going to sign a 3 year deal to coach somewhere?

I think the conversation went something like this “Judy, I cannot recruit because I only have two years left on my contract.” “No problem Alan, here are three more years”. “Thanks Judy!”

Dude, you’ve always said that if we want to be a bigtime program you have to act bigtime. Whether he is the answer or not is debatable but you can’t have the coach of your flagship program trying to recruit as a lame duck. You know that.[/quote]
Why wait until signing season is over? If this was in works, annc it 2 mo ago and maybe we arent looking for warm bodies.
Just sux, the guy is a ymca level coach, motivator, public persona. It will never work and its sad as an ex fan who used to love uncc hoops. Its just pathetic what she is doing long term[/quote]
don’t disagree about the timing- kinda odd

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:34, topic:27813”][quote=“X-49er, post:32, topic:27813”][quote=“hootie, post:30, topic:27813”]Why is this a big deal?

So what if we fire him after 2 more years? It just means the University owes him money. Nothing more, nothing less. And in the grand scheme of things, it’s peanuts.[/quote]

It’ll be a million wasted peanuts if we were to fire him with two years left on his contract.[/quote]

Are you saying peanuts are worth $1 each!?! I have a bunch of peanuts I can sell you for only $.90 each! Think of the savings!! :))[/quote]
Hootie said that the million dollars paid in a potential buyout was peanuts. I don’t Know what the cost of one peanut is, but it’s going to take at least a million of them if we have to buyout 2+ years of Major’s contract. I hope we don’t have to, but extending his contract 3 more years was excessive given that we still don’t know if he’s going to get the results we are after.

It’s possible the 3rd year is “optional” for both parties? I’ve read some contracts structured that way. Very few coaches get into the last year of their contract these days. They’re either extended or fired.

I would have preferred a shorter extension.

However it is quite obvious that the Ogbueze, Blakely, and Sullivan signings (along with a 21 win NIT season) moved the needle for the AD. That explains the timing. If he had signed equivalent talent back in Novmeber, it would have already been done.

Now that it’s done, I hope it helps us with some of the high profile kids we are looking at for 2014.

I’m indifferent about it right now. It’s a risk. If he wins, it’s a sound investment. If he doesn’t, things will get ugly among the fan base as well as the alumni, especially with the Lutz situation.
All of the chips are on the table and the AD is making a gamble. Let’s hope it pays off.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:47, topic:27813”]I would have preferred a shorter extension.

However it is quite obvious that the Ogbueze, Blakely, and Sullivan signings (along with a 21 win NIT season) moved the needle for the AD.[/quote]

Without a doubt it did. The AD is hedging their bets on the fact that '14-'15 will be a winning season.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:47, topic:27813”]I would have preferred a shorter extension.

However it is quite obvious that the Ogbueze, Blakely, and Sullivan signings (along with a 21 win NIT season) moved the needle for the AD. That explains the timing. If he had signed equivalent talent back in Novmeber, it would have already been done.

Now that it’s done, I hope it helps us with some of the high profile kids we are looking at for 2014.[/quote]

I think that’s a good way to look at it. Could be the AD was as concerned about the lack of recruits signed as we were and were in wait and see mode.

This is proof positive they Judy learned NOTHING from the Lutz fiasco… We just extended a coach that after 3 years we have no clue if he can actually coach.

We have no idea what the terms are so I would start going crazy yet. If it is a 3 yr extention with a $500K buyout then I have no problem with the move. Lutz got the deal he had because he was a much more proven coach, I don’t think Alan has the same leverage.

Does Judy comprehend leverage? She hasnt in past. I will be shocked if the terms were intelligent.

We fired Lutz and crippled out program (went cheap on the replacement, cried poor because of it)… Extending Major who has NO RESUME is stupid beyond words.

NLP had a twitter back and forth with David Scott about this, Scott said there were no buyout clauses… we did a good job finding the public contract on Lutz hopefully we can find this one also.

Everything has been said, extending him one year would have solved the recruiting problem as well as put some heat on him that he needs to get the the NCAA tourny, I guess Judy and Phil are preaching one thing doing another.

The roster as it sits right now has lots of holes, 3 bigs out of 13, no backup SF and a harder schedule are going to make it hard to get to 21 wins again, doing an extra 3 years was dumb… oh well.

our program has sucked since the Spring of 2005

I’ll part from the masses and say I’m fine with this. Would’ve preferred a 2 year extension, but I’m okay with it.

This! Wow.

This also! A 1 or 2 year extension (on top of the 2 years he already had left) would be MORE than enough at this point. Unreal. :frowning:

He had 2 years already. I think at most a 1-2 year extension. Some of you act like a guy can’t recruit if he has less than 5 years left on his contract.

I’m a little surprised also. I think 1 year would have been enough. Save the big extensions for getting us back to the NCAAs. I really hope we have an easier out for the contract.