49ers NASCAR Sponsorship Idea

While I was watching the race yesterday, I got to thinking it might be a good idea for us try and sponsor a NASCAR team for one race, possibly every season.

Before I get into cost and affordability, I’ll go over reasons for it:

[LIST]
[*] NASCAR is the fastest growing sport in America and many reports cite it as the 2nd most watched in America, after the NFL. This would be excellent exposure for us, especially in our own region where NASCAR has its biggest following and also in our own city, which is regarded by many as the capitol of NASCAR. The level of exposure we would get in our own city would be unreal.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] This would be excellent exposure (probably some of the best we could get) for our motorsports program. While this is not a major program at our school, it is one of the programs that is more unique to us and in a position (location wise) to excel.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] This would be an extremely unique opportunity for us because it’s never been done (that I could find) and not many other schools could really do it because it wouldn’t make so much sense for them. Being in the heart of NASCAR land, this makes great sense for us and could kinda be [I]our[/I] thing.
[/LIST]

Some might say that NASCAR’s audience is not who we are targeting, but demographics show that the viewership of NASCAR is not the stereotype of rednecks in trailers drinking beer, but more typical of America in general with educated, employed, home owners. The highest age group is people who would be thinking about college or sending their kids to college. The image of NASCAR has changed a lot as well, and of course some not so scholarly activities are still associated with it (drinking obviously and others), they still really try to push the family friendly image that NASCAR has been moving to.

Of course the cost is the big catch. From the sources I found, many said a full sponsorship of a team for one race is between $350K-500K. Not chump change at all. For getting our name on a rear quarter panel or the rear lid, and on the uniform, it would be about $100K. And for just the quarter panel or lid, it would be about $50K.

However, with our location and connections, and being an academic institution, I think it might be possible for us to get a deal. One that came to mind quickly was Lowes and Hendrick. We have several people at the top of Lowes and Hendrick, who owns the team sponsored by Lowes, is also a big player in the city. Not to mention, if this would work out, being Jimmy Johnson’s sponsor for that one race would be perfect. He rarely wrecks so he’ll probably be in the whole race, he wins a lot so that’s a great chance for us, he is already very popular, and he has one of the cleanest images in the sport.

If we did primary sponsor for one race, I think that would be huge. Perhaps in years following we could go with the much more affordable associate sponsor.

Lemme know whatcha think. If you think it would be a good idea before the money aspect comes into play, please say that.

:49ers:

On the surface I don’t think it’s a bad idea for the reasons you cited. In fact, I think Charlotte needs to exploit more its NASCAR ties, including Charlotte alum who work in NASCAR (not just me).

However, I think in the current economic climate, there will be a BIG challenge to come up with that money and defending its use over going to some other area or need of the school.

Is it legal to do this? I don’t know why I feel like I heard there was some NCAA regulation or something against it… I have nothing to back this up, nor do I have any reasoning for it… I just feel like I heard that somewhere and/or someone brought this up once before and a rule was pulled at regarding it…

Is it legal to do this? I don't know why I feel like I heard there was some NCAA regulation or something against it... I have nothing to back this up, nor do I have any reasoning for it... I just feel like I heard that somewhere and/or someone brought this up once before and a rule was pulled at regarding it...
lol I know why you think this: it's the NCAA. They have a rule about everything haha.:tongue:

Seriously tho, they may have a rule against this, but I don’t know. I don’t see why they would. If we want to pay $$ for an advertisement, why should we not be allowed to?

Is it legal to do this? I don't know why I feel like I heard there was some NCAA regulation or something against it... I have nothing to back this up, nor do I have any reasoning for it... I just feel like I heard that somewhere and/or someone brought this up once before and a rule was pulled at regarding it...

In 2003, the a lot of Virginia schools found their way onto Hermie Sadler’s car.

These paint schemes use athletic logos, and not the academic logos that appear in letterheads.

On the surface I don't think it's a bad idea for the reasons you cited. In fact, I think Charlotte needs to exploit more its NASCAR ties, including Charlotte alum who work in NASCAR (not just me).

However, I think in the current economic climate, there will be a BIG challenge to come up with that money and defending its use over going to some other area or need of the school.

I totally agree. The money issue is not easy to get past. However, the biggest companies in America see something worthwhile in it. Why not spend that money on bettering their product, or distribution, or anything other than advertisement? Even if we only did it once, I think the publicity and attention we would get would be HUGE.

Another thing I forgot to mention was if we do the primary sponsorship, imagine how cool it would be to be able to buy Charlotte 49ers NASCAR hats and merch. I never wear or want to buy that stuff, but I would then. (Oh man, I just realized Jimmie Johnson is #48 too. And Charlotte… is #1… I like it! :49ers:)

In 2003, the a lot of Virginia schools found their way onto Hermie Sadler's car. [IMG]http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2003/cup/02jmu.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2003/cup/02vcu-rams.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2003/cup/02univva.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2003/cup/02vatech.jpg[/IMG]

These paint schemes use athletic logos, and not the academic logos that appear in letterheads.

OOOOHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAA! THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN ABOUT!! :clap: (cept UVA stinks.)

Doesn’t Travis Gordon work for one of the teams? Cmack or Powerbait would probably know this

I like the idea, but I don’t think it would happen. Teams have contracts with these sponsors that are set up a year in advance, and paint schemes are decided for those sponsors before the season begins. The only thing I can see happening is using a driver at the bottom in the points that doesn’t have a sponsor. A go or go home-er.

Just one race would be awesome though… I’m thinking Saturday, October 17th.

$350k would be much better spent on Academics.

I know that High Point University sponsored a Nationwide Series Car a few weeks back - so I don’t think there is any problem legally with the NCAA- I did not how much exposure they got from the announcers- they were talking the school up and giving good info about them, so I like the idea- I think that we could really benefit from some of this- is there a Car number 49 in Nationwide? It would reduce exposure to some degree to do it in Nationwide instead of Sprint Cup, but it would also reduce cost

That’s 350 FSL’s. Instead of telling people about them that already know about them, how about using that money to actually buy them.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;425063]Doesn’t Travis Gordon work for one of the teams? Cmack or Powerbait would probably know this[/QUOTE]

Yes, he works for Hendrick. I believe his latest spot is on Mark Martin’s pit crew.

Best idea is find someone that doesn’t have a sponsor. You can get that cheaper. You run the risk of not making the race but don’t think the 48 or the 24 is going to add the Charlotte logo to the car for $50k.

We actually did have a car in the ARCA series many years back. Ryan Zeck (alumni) drove the car at LMS. Guess what number he ran…?

http://www.racing-reference.info/rquery?id=zeckry01&trk=088&series=A

http://www.asa-racing.com/trackstory.asp?StoryID=11894

Can’t track down a photo…

[QUOTE=upperdeck;425071]Best idea is find someone that doesn’t have a sponsor. You can get that cheaper. You run the risk of not making the race but don’t think the 48 or the 24 is going to add the Charlotte logo to the car for $50k.

We actually did have a car in the ARCA series many years back. Ryan Zeck (alumni) drove the car at LMS. Guess what number he ran…?

http://www.racing-reference.info/rquery?id=zeckry01&trk=088&series=A

http://www.asa-racing.com/trackstory.asp?StoryID=11894

Can’t track down a photo…[/QUOTE]

When you sponsor somebody that is not currently sponsored in the Cup Series, which likely means they are a back marker, you risk not getting on TV at all. That kind of defeats the purpose. In a lesser series such as ARCA, you don’t reach as many people. I think our money would be better spent on TV ads or spent on something worthwhile on campus.

[QUOTE=X-49er;425074]When you sponsor somebody that is not currently sponsored in the Cup Series, which likely means they are a back marker, you risk not getting on TV at all. That kind of defeats the purpose. In a lesser series such as ARCA, you don’t reach as many people. I think our money would be better spent on TV ads or spent on something worthwhile on campus.[/QUOTE]

clt says maybe they crash though.

When you sponsor somebody that is not currently sponsored in the Cup Series, which likely means they are a back marker, you risk not getting on TV at all. That kind of defeats the purpose. In a lesser series such as ARCA, you don't reach as many people. I think our money would be better spent on TV ads or spent on something worthwhile on campus.

Agreed. Have you seen a race on TV lately (according to the ratings, probably not)? Nascar has experienced extremely poor attendance this year.:tumble:

You can still but a ticket to Bristol this weekend and that is unheard of. You can say it’s the economy but I think this is a trend that will continue with Nascar.

[QUOTE=cltniners;425075]clt says maybe they crash though.[/QUOTE]

…and that helps us how?

Georgetown and Howard University have both done this.