49ers Radio deal article on BizJournal

We covered Tarheels moving to WFNZ a few weeks ago when it was first reported. Thereā€™s a thread on it.

Bottom lineā€¦for those of us who live outside the city limits (Lakes, mooresville, H-ville, Cornelius, Davidson, Tega Cay, etc.)ā€¦this does us no good. I guess itā€™s still unreliable internet broadcasts for us.

Day games may be ok. I know I get 1660 fine in East Lincoln during the day, then fuzzy at night.

After thinking more about this Charlotte radio market. North Carolina couldnā€™t find a station (other than 610 5,000/1,000 watt) in Charlotte after having being with WBT for 25 years. Only 2 years after winning the national championship.

After thinking more about this Charlotte radio market. North Carolina couldn't find a station (other than 610 5,000/1,000 watt) in Charlotte after having being with WBT for 25 years. Only 2 years after winning the national championship.
Nice reach for a positive (as always) . However, you're talking about a team several hours outside of Charlotte, having a better radio feed than the team located 10 minutes from the station.
Actually, last year was a great year for TV. We had like 5 or 6 national TV games and then the local package on PBS.
We sure blew that didn't we. Its no wonder we have been relegated back to few games on tv and poor radio coverage. We had our chance and now we just have to play our way back onto the air.

I really wish they could have worked something out with Sirius. Arenā€™t most of the other A-10 teams on there?

[QUOTE=jcl49er;188438]Nice reach for a positive (as always) . However, youā€™re talking about a team several hours outside of Charlotte, having a better radio feed than the team located 10 minutes from the station.[/QUOTE]

Also talking about a team that has 38 stations in its network (37 in N.C. and 1 in Virginia). Within the Charlotte metro area, the Tarholes networks includes stations in Cherryville, Gastonia, Salisbury, and Shelby in addition to FNZ. Add in the FM station in Triad and theyā€™ve really got the Charlotte-area covered.

Also talking about a team that has 38 stations in its network (37 in N.C. and 1 in Virginia). Within the Charlotte metro area, the Tarholes networks includes stations in Cherryville, Gastonia, Salisbury, and Shelby in addition to FNZ. Add in the FM station in Triad and they've really got the Charlotte-area covered.
Exactly. Hence why the WFNZ deal for Carolina is irrelevant to our situation. If we were talking about the Tarholes only being able to get on a 5,000 watt station in Chapel Hill, then that's one thing. But to have better coverage in another market, than the home team just says a lot about both us and them.

Oh well. I donā€™t foresee it getting any better anytime soon, as far as this topic goes. I agree with Max though, Iā€™d love to at least be able to hear Niner road games on Sirius as opposed to the gerbil-driven signal weā€™re on now.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;188449]gerbil-driven signal[/QUOTE]

Damn jcl, weā€™re gonna need a lot of those critters to get out of uptown Charlotte.

[QUOTE=HP49er;188452]

Damn jcl, weā€™re gonna need a lot of those critters to get out of uptown Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

FINALLY some good newsā€¦from your message, it appears that FNZ/FNA has added a 4TH GERBIL.

Maybe this means Iā€™ll be able to hear north of 277.

Regretably this radio deal reflects (IMO) the sports market in Charlotte. Short of going to satellite, I donā€™t see how we could expect anything better.

But we are a school that just starting to make Nike logoed merchandise available to the public. I donā€™t think a jump to satellite was a reasonable expectation for this year.

Damn jcl, we're gonna need a lot of those critters to get out of uptown Charlotte.
Maybe they can wire up the Bulldog Diva on a treadmill so the signal comes in clearer. The gerbils aren't cutting it.

[URL=http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/PressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=1500]http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/PressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=1500[/URL]

My sister interns at a radio station and she says that the big issue right now for terrestial radio is how to compete with satellite radio. HD radio is terrestialā€™s way of fighting back. If you buy a High-definition radio unit and switch to the HD1 setting and tune to, say 106.5 The End, you will hear the same songs as a regular FM radioā€¦but with better sound quality, surround sound broadcasts, no subscription costs, etc. Switch to the HD2 setting and you will hear DIFFERENT MUSIC on 106.5 The End. As terrestial radio makes the push toward HD, programming directors around the country are scrambling to figure out how to fill all the new time slots.

Could be something to look into. Maybe we could work out an arrangement so that when HD radio comes to the North Carolina area, a station like WFNZ can broadcast the Tar Heels on the HD1 channel and Charlotte on the HD2 channel or vice-versa.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;188454]Maybe they can wire up the Bulldog Diva on a treadmill so the signal comes in clearer. The gerbils arenā€™t cutting it.[/QUOTE]

She would generate a lot of power for a short period of time, but she really wouldnt last long. After about 45 seconds she would keel over and moan for a cheeseburgerā€¦

[URL=http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/PressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=1500]http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/PressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=1500[/URL]

My sister interns at a radio station and she says that the big issue right now for terrestial radio is how to compete with satellite radio. HD radio is terrestialā€™s way of fighting back. If you buy a High-definition radio unit and switch to the HD1 setting and tune to, say 106.5 The End, you will hear the same songs as a regular FM radioā€¦but with better sound quality, surround sound broadcasts, no subscription costs, etc. Switch to the HD2 setting and you will hear DIFFERENT MUSIC on 106.5 The End.

Could be something to look into. Maybe we could work out an arrangement so that when HD radio comes to the North Carolina area, a station like WFNZ can broadcast the Tar Heels on the HD1 channel and Charlotte on the HD2 channel or vice-versa.

Gonna take more than HD to slow down the move to satellite radio but I donā€™t think terrestial is in any danger anytime soon. My head unit is HD-ready but Iā€™d be hard pressed to listen to something other than Sirius. The quality of the sound just isnā€™t enough bait.

But your scenario for game coverage in conjuction with HD radio is a good idea, especially if HD radio capability becomes standard on newer vehicles. Iā€™d definitely switch away from Sirius for a couple hours if it meant hearing a road game without any static.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;188457]She would generate a lot of power for a short period of time, but she really wouldnt last long. After about 45 seconds she would keel over and moan for a cheeseburgerā€¦[/QUOTE]
Thatā€™s not all, the sweat she produced would provide some hydroelectric power and the oil in her hair could be refined as fuel.

(Chisox just got wood!)