49ers Tip-Off Classic: vs ECU 11/27; vs Belmont Abbey - cancelled

I donā€™t have anything good to say.

Matos seems decent.

Best I could do.

Losing to ECU at home is miserable and program killing. Someone said it hasnā€™t happened since the 80s. Oof.

3 Likes

#blame2020. No fans, no run amplification. Youā€™re right though

Zero positives out of this game. Truly surprised by total lack of energy and passion. Wish we could get 1/10th of football energy injected into the team. Threadgill over Williams in second half??? What was that about? Where was Luka, Garcia, etc?

So disappointed

1 Like

Sanchez ainā€™t it. His teams plays like they dread their job. No urgency. Go thru the motions. Watch our bench during the game. No one is having fun. BB is an emotional game that must be played that way.

We are really weak with the ball on offense. Stripped too easy and weak on drives.
B. Williams looks awakard and slow. Unless he changes dont think he is any help at this level. CSC helps but looks really out of shape. Leaning over and grabbing his shorts 2 minutes in.

What is our identity as a team? What is our offensive philosophy and sets

On a side note Rissetto looks like my great Aunt with the same hairdo. She is a bit more athletic though but would have to look twice if in the same room. Threadgill has Pete Davidson eyes so pulling for him and his shot

I remember losing to George Washington on our opener with Withers and the board went on a full melt down because an A10 beat us at home. The horror!!

I am close to complete beatdown mode with acceptance on who we are actually are. Another acronym UNC school with below average sports.

ECU basketball history means nothing with this team. Likely the best team theyā€™ve ever had. I donā€™t like losing to the Pirates but they played better.

2 Likes

Respectfully disagree. In the 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s our coaches recruited a LOT of role players that not many looked at, and got above average results with those guys. The Niners now arenā€™t in a powerful BBall conference either-Itā€™s primarily coaching, or lack thereof IMHO.

The lack of an inside game will be a problem this year. Supica had a good first half but then hurt his knee late in the game.

We donā€™t have an effective backup for Supica. I thought Garcia was going to be our impact player inside but he never saw the court.

Threadgill probably had a case of nerves in his first game. He missed badly early but showed good form on his late three pointer.

Williams looked okay early but missed some wild threes and was benched after that. We need him to average double figures to be successful this season.

Best ECU team, no I donā€™t think it is but we certainly have 2 of the 3 best players I have seen here in the last 30 years and the legit best player in the AAC so that is something. The outside shooting is still horrible though. If we could make threeā€™s then yeah it could be. Thatā€™s about what I expected from our team with the 2-15 from three. I did think Dooley coached a good game today. Typcially he would screw around with our 7 footers and not go smaller sooner and lose close.

What would concern me if I were you guys is we shot 13% from 3 and Gardner didnā€™t even bring his A game and we still won pretty comfortably . I think we won it when we put Gardner at Center and you had to play Carrawell on him as your center. Sure Gardner causes a lot of teams problems when we put him at center but that would concern me if thatā€™s your small ball center option. A lot of teams even without a Gardner will exploit that IMO.

Our defense is designed to force a team to take bad threes, which it did. ECU was 2-15 (13.3%), so I guess that aspect of our game was successful. Unfortunately, we forgot to guard inside the arc where they shot 49% and kicked out asses. We gave a sad effort.

2 Likes

We suck. Gloat away wol fart.

We just got crushed at home by the 9th best team in the American. Wuff.

4 Likes

And for all you younger niners out there, ECU hasnā€™t beaten us at home since 1983.

Return of the Jedi was in theatres.

2 Likes

Luka is still hurt. Wont be back before January

1 Like

clt is hearing lutz was spotted at haltron tonite.

Bobby is enjoying his 4 month old grandson and hanging in Lincoln.

The Bobby-Major decisions have had a lasting effect on our b-ball program we may never recover from.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll say it for perpetuity ā€¦ 1st game loses after getting hyped for a top 25 game in Knoxville cancelled due to a worldwide pandemic, will not stop us. Young team has room to grow

Room to grow. Sounds nice. Guess I will just sit back and patiently wait for that to come to fruition.

Iā€™ve been waiting patiently the last 15 years. Guess I can wait a few more years.

2 Likes

Rest of tourney has been cancelled due to COVID at BA.