49ers Unveil Athletics Facilities Master Vision

Ran some numbers and I think we can get a rough estimate on how much has been raised based on a few assumptions. I added up the naming rights available and took that from the project costs and assume that is what has been raised. This is just a guestimate of course, but by these number I’d guess we’ve raised roughly $55,500,000.

FOOTBALL STADIUM EXPANSION

TOTAL PROJECT COST $81,300,000
NAMING RIGHTS AVAILABLE $31,050,000
DIFFERENCE ($ RAISED?) $50,250,000

BASEBALL CLUBHOUSE

TOTAL PROJECT COST $6,975,000
NAMING RIGHTS AVAILABLE $4,475,000
DIFFERENCE ($ RAISED?) $2,500,000

SOCCER/LACROSSE STADIUM

TOTAL PROJECT COST $6,825,000
NAMING RIGHTS AVAILABLE $6,825,000
DIFFERENCE ($ RAISED?) $0

SOFTBALL CLUBHOUSE

TOTAL PROJECT COST $3,250,000
NAMING RIGHTS AVAILABLE $500,000
DIFFERENCE ($ RAISED?) $2,750,000

BASKETBALL LOCKER ROOMS

TOTAL PROJECT COST $2,600,000
NAMING RIGHTS AVAILABLE $2,600,000
DIFFERENCE ($ RAISED?) $0

EDIT:

Here’s football:

Good stuff. Fair assumptions.

Not a penny towards soccer / lacrosse stadium would actually surprise me. Mike has been talking about that for years… Was one of the AAC improvements he kept mentioning.

1 Like

Wow, this thread died.

Doesn’t look like the Scoreboard or sound issues were addressed in the AFMV. I’m sure the Pressbox Tower will house additional speakers, but our current scoreboard is rapidly dating itself (see UAB’s new one). I vaguely remember someone found part of the clause in the contract with IMG where they will pay at least some of the co
sts of a new scoreboard.

There’s been no news. I don’t think people will stay engaged without some idea of progress. It seems like vaporware without regular progress updates.

Well, this message thread from ECU’s Hoist the Colours should liven things up! I suggest that you read every post in this thread. Yes, some comments are just petty, but some are very revealing. It is worth your time reading it.

3 Likes

Great link man. Interesting read.

This was one of my favorite posts, by “BizProf”:

My son just finished his freshman year at Charlotte. I made the three-hour drive a few times over the last 12 months, twice for football games. My limited-intelligence analysis is:

1. UNC-C enjoys the benefits of having had most of its campus/facility growth occur over the last 12-15 years. Nearly everything on campus looks new, fresh, urban, and collegiate. I’m not sure if there’s any other UNC institution that’s invested as much in new “main” campus facilities per student than Charlotte. The undergrads LOVE being there. In my job, I occasionally observe the university transfer fairs that make tour stops at community colleges. Twenty years ago, the long lines of students would be found at the tables staffed by reps from UNC-CH, NCSU, and ECU. Post-pandemic, it was Charlotte that had the most student interest. No *****. Urban attraction/migration amongst the current college aged generation is real thing.
  1. The type of campus culture that cultivates fanatical support for major sports is not there yet. I do think they’ll get there over the next 10+ years due to the size and potentially stratospheric growth of the undergrad student body, but as a group–right now–they don’t quite exhibit the degree of football fanaticism that older fanbases in the state built decades ago and largely maintain today. In other words, the football culture’s not quite there because they have almost no history and tradition. Facility master planning at Charlotte is light years beyond what I’ve seen from other, older UNC schools. Given the relatively large and undeveloped land mass they had to work with long before their undergrad enrollment skyrocketed, they had a huge pallet to exploit and they made very smart decisions. The Rich, as they call it, is on-campus, easily walkable from a large number of megadorms, and is adjacent to a metro rail stop. They also designed the stadium for upper deck expansion from the beginning.
  1. Baseball stadium is nice, but is not in the same league as Clark-LeClair or Bosh. I don’t see Charlotte being competitive with us in baseball any time soon, but who knows. The soccer/lacrosse complex is a lesson to anyone running athletics in a large metro area. Those sports don’t rate much attention in the boondocks, but they damn sure are critical in attracting upper-middle class and borderline-wealthy city kids. Basketball is one sport where Charlotte could pivot into a major player in the AAC, but again, we’ll see how it really shakes out.

ETA: I’m seeing a lot of comments here slagging Charlotte as a commuter school. That was always my view…until a year ago. If you’ve not spent much time on campus over the last 4-5 years, I encourage you to carefully consider what grenades you throw until you’ve actually witnessed what’s going on there now. We need not shake in our boots, but that school has all of the ingredients to do some of what UCF has done.

I don’t know that I would disagree much with him. Maybe on some very fine points. Baseball comes to mind. I think he is right about the stadium comparison, but wrong about how fast we could be competitive.

I also think it would only take about a 3 year run of strong football performance to build a long term atmosphere.

5 Likes

BizProf lives in reality. Most of the rest are typical people on the internet.

1 Like

I live in Charlotte. Plaza-Midwood neighborhood for the past 16 years, in and around uptown before that for about 5 years. Suburbs before that. UNCC has grown significantly. I’m over there frequently and I’m always impressed by what they have going on. The campus is big and everything is very nice. It doesn’t strike me as a commuter school. Some of you who haven’t been lately are gonna feel dumb the next time you visit lol

Poster “Hummel”

3 Likes

There wasn’t a scoreboard for baseball in there either, but I am certain that we will have a new one in the not so distant future. The current scoreboard died several times during games this season.

1 Like

Why not give baseball the current football scoreboard? 2 birds, 1 stone?

That’s a big scoreboard for a baseball stadium.

Also on the issue of hand me downs, isn’t Halton’s scoreboard 2nd hand from the Hornets? And the sideline boards are from the 2007 Final Four, IIRC.

I’m sure a scoreboard upgrade is part of the overall plan, just wondering if it wasn’t included in the AFMV because IMG has point on that.

It couldn’t keep with how fast the bullpen gave runs, lol

I would guess that the process of moving something like that would cost more than just buying a new one. Besides, I think baseball deserves something new after having the same scoreboard for 30+ years.

3 Likes

More like the other way around. We scored the 3rd most runs in program history this year and the 2nd most HRs.

1 Like

I would imagine the scoreboard is made up of modular components.

We moved the Hornets scoreboard to Halton without much fanfare.

I think cost conscious solutions are important for maximizing our budget. Plus that scoreboard would still be a massive upgrade for baseball.

If you’re right about the cost of moving vs the cost of a new board, I’ll concede. But I don’t think that sounds right.

If baseball doesn’t want it I’m sure the new soccer/lacrosse stadium can find it a home. Until then, let’s get an Inclusive C tarp over the back of that thing.

A new scoreboard tower would fit perfectly in that gap left in the north side of the stadium seating, ie Williams Brice