49ers vs Tarholes

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;315812]You know it may have been a stretch, but I wish we could have called them Chapel Hill tonight over the announcement… that’ would have been great… or NC-CH.

LOL, that would’ve pissed a few of them off.[/QUOTE]

he did. He said “Now introducing the Tarheels of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill”

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;315749]Typical:

Big Crowd,
Big game
Pre game publicity

got our ass whooped.

Life as a niner fan sucks sometimes.[/QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say. It NEVER ends… in all sports. .

I don't think we have ever beat them in basketball or baseball.
hush your mouth, we beat em' at Chapel Hill in 1992 Darren Vazquetelles hit a grand slam to do it

[QUOTE=dax;315823]he did. He said “Now introducing the Tarheels of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill”[/QUOTE]
Actually it was… “And now, let’s meet tonight’s starting lineups - first for the visiting Tar Heels from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.”

Their SID was sitting right behind me, so I couldn’t drop a “Tarholes” in there. :smile:

[QUOTE=49er1;315836]This is EXACTLY what I was going to say. It NEVER ends… in all sports. .[/QUOTE]

Just gotta keep reaching and trying…can’t give up. I don’t know how you learn to play on a big stage without trying.

watching the game vs. unc today made the game at davidson two years ago seem fun. this was embarrasing to watch especially having to see all that baby blue cheering. it looked like a pro team playing against a high school team.

While I would have greatly preferred to see NO Tar Heel fans in the stadium, I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout. There were Holes fans scattered throughout the stadium (particularly in the GA section near the visitors dugout) but it wasn’t as bas as I thought it might be. I would say it was atleast an 80-20% advantage for us. Not bad, given that 90% of the seats were available to anybody!

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say. It NEVER ends... in all sports. .

Not true! As has been mentioned we have beaten them in other sports (softball 2 weeks ago against their 15th ranked team and golf on a regular basis, including the NCAA tourney). Unfortunately, we haven’t done it recently in the sports that get the media attention (baseball, basketball).

[QUOTE=NinerFan;315865]Just gotta keep reaching and trying…can’t give up. I don’t know how you learn to play on a big stage without trying.[/QUOTE]

As tough as last night was, you’re right. We just need to take care of business in our conference, win our Tourney, and then let it all hang out in the NCAA’s. If we’re in, we may even be in Chapel Hill or Columbia again.

Am I the only one who thinks they need to add more seating? If we keep playing games against teams like that, then we are going to need more seating.

[QUOTE=ConcordNiners;315957]Am I the only one who thinks they need to add more seating? If we keep playing games against teams like that, then we are going to need more seating.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the grass hill could have been graded differently to allow more grass seats. Other than that, I don’t know if you could add temporary bleachers anywhere. Our capacity is listed as 3000 standing room only with 1100 actual seats.

Not that I will go to many games (family duties), but the sightlines outside of the permanent seating are ATROCIOUS - especially if you have a kid with you. There really was no good place to watch the action from anywhere but the seating area - standing/watching on the access road is not a good option at all. Even the hill down the first base line is terrible - can’t see over the dugout or around the permanent seating. I know we want to have home and home series with teams like Carolina and Wake, but I thought it was poor judgement on the AD staff to have that game on campus - especially given the opposing team. Not being better prepared for an overflow crowd is inexcusable.

Three other reasons it should not have been on campus besides the sightlines:
1.) Parking
2.) Start Time at 6:00 - most of Corporate America gets off at 5:00, combine that with #1 and general traffic around U-city, and it is a recipe for a disaster
3.) Concessions (only 2 windows with one register each for 3000+ fans).

Having it at Intimidator stadium up in K-town would have been better. (Obviously the “home field advantage” we had hoped for didn’t really go so well last night!). Not that it mattered all that much last night with the a** whooping we took, because my daughter had a great time eating a hot dog (mustard only) and sharing peanuts with her dad at her first baseball game ever! The foul ball that was given to her by another gentleman and his buddy/brother was icing on the cake.

Not that I will go to many games (family duties), but the sightlines outside of the permanent seating are ATROCIOUS - especially if you have a kid with you. There really was no good place to watch the action from anywhere but the seating area - standing/watching on the access road is not a good option at all. Even the hill down the first base line is terrible - can't see over the dugout or around the permanent seating. I know we want to have home and home series with teams like Carolina and Wake, but I thought it was poor judgement on the AD staff to have that game on campus - especially given the opposing team. Not being better prepared for an overflow crowd is inexcusable.

Three other reasons it should not have been on campus besides the sightlines:
1.) Parking
2.) Start Time at 6:00 - most of Corporate America gets off at 5:00, combine that with #1 and general traffic around U-city, and it is a recipe for a disaster
3.) Concessions (only 2 windows with one register each for 3000+ fans).

Having it at Intimidator stadium up in K-town would have been better. (Obviously the “home field advantage” we had hoped for didn’t really go so well last night!). Not that it mattered all that much last night with the a** whooping we took, because my daughter had a great time eating a hot dog (mustard only) and sharing peanuts with her dad at her first baseball game ever! The foul ball that was given to her by another gentleman and his buddy/brother was icing on the cake.

No way jdm. Sorry, I don’t care if they had to turn people away (even if I was one of them). We NEED to play these types of games on campus. The more people on our campus, seeing our facilities, the better! Otherwise, the casual fan would probably think “gee, what a poor little school, they can’t even build a stadium nice enough to have all their games on campus”!

[QUOTE=dax;315823]he did. He said “Now introducing the Tarheels of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill”[/QUOTE]

I’m talking about between the innings… but I got there a little late due to traffic, so I didn’t here the player intros.

[QUOTE=919R;315995]No way jdm. Sorry, I don’t care if they had to turn people away (even if I was one of them). We NEED to play these types of games on campus. The more people on our campus, seeing our facilities, the better! Otherwise, the casual fan would probably think “gee, what a poor little school, they can’t even build a stadium nice enough to have all their games on campus”![/QUOTE]

I agree, gotta have some of the big ones on campus.

WTF were those kids doing climbing up on the outfield wall during the game? They did it at least 3 times.

Niner baseball games need to be on campus. Period. What then was the point of spending all that money on the rennovation?

[QUOTE=ConcordNiners;316009]WTF were those kids doing climbing up on the outfield wall during the game? They did it at least 3 times.[/QUOTE]

I know, I kept wondering the same thing, they were told not to do it, and kept on…The umps whistled that one time because they were all the way out in CF standing behind the fence…

[QUOTE=gotLutz;316010]Niner baseball games need to be on campus. Period. What then was the point of spending all that money on the rennovation?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but they need to add a lot more seating in there. Nearly 3500 people were there. I got there about 45 minutes before the game and sat in a section that was marked off because all the seats were already filled up. I also agree about the starting times, they should be moved back to at least 630 or 7.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;316010]Niner baseball games need to be on campus. Period. What then was the point of spending all that money on the rennovation?[/QUOTE]

Please don’t get me wrong. I underestand all your points about having the games on campus (919r too)… I don’t dispute that fact. I certainly appreciate the renovataion - it took a ton of cash from the Hayes’s and all the physical labor that went into it - it’s beautiful upgrade, and a fine representation for our campus. It’s a great facility for the teams and those specators who can actually get a seat, but for the others/overflow/outside the permanent seats, not so much. If I recall correctly, before the renovations, the sightlines down either of the baselines were better (i.e. folks could sit on the hills and still see the action). Maybe that is an engineering/construction deal, but seems to me like they lost those general admission seating areas.

Please don't get me wrong. I underestand all your points about having the games on campus (919r too)... I don't dispute that fact. I certainly appreciate the renovataion - it took a ton of cash from the Hayes's and all the physical labor that went into it - it's beautiful upgrade, and a fine representation for our campus. It's a great facility for the teams and those specators who can actually get a seat, but for the others/overflow/outside the permanent seats, not so much. If I recall correctly, before the renovations, the sightlines down either of the baselines were better (i.e. folks could sit on the hills and still see the action). Maybe that is an engineering/construction deal, but seems to me like they lost those general admission seating areas.

I haven’t been to a ball game since the rennovation, and so I didn’t realize that the hills along first base and third base are gone. I remember people would bring sheets and lay em across the grass and enjoy the game. This is no more, eh? Hmm… very legit point you got there then.