8 or 9 seed???

For those saying we are going to be an 8 or 9 seed in the tourny, we can only hope. I am very concerned about our remaining games and our SOS. I would be willing to take that seed at this point. If we don’t finish strong, we may be NIT bound.

I think it will be tough to beat Cincy here and next to impossible to beat Louisville at their place the way they are playing.

I’ll also be happy with a 10 or 11 seed after today.

Wow… yesterday, we were on the verge of the top 25 and our RPI was in the low 30’s… today, we’re lucky to make the tournament at all???

RELAX! Yeah, this sucks, but I remember the same things being said last year after we lost to SLU. We played horribly, ECU played above average… upsets are going to happen all the time in NCAA basketball. Let’s see how we bounce back from this before we start pulling the trigger on the entire season.

Agree stuff happens we will be ok

Just hate that Niners have to wait a full week before tipping off vs Cincinnati. A whole week to prepare for Cincy sounds about right though. Thinking that Lutz will have the boys going through virtual boot camp after this collapse today.

THANK YOU UNCCTF!!! You guys make it sound like we lost to the blind and deaf or something. ECU is tough at their place, Cincy only won by 6 there, and they beat Marquette…and oh yeah, look back 3 weeks, where i said this week was gonna be tough and we would be lucky to win both, and no one believed me. We’ll beat Cincy, and prolly lose to Louisville. We’ll be an 8th or 9th seed. Yous guys talk more shit then opposing teams, God damn…Personally, I’d almost rather be a higher seed, we play very well against hard teams on the road. Bobby will have them ready. All is well in Niner land as far as I see things.

GO NINERS!!!

I agree we’ll be ok, but if the NCAA pairings were announced tomorrow & we had a 10 or 11, I’d be happy with it.

Hopefully, this was our BAD game for the year.

WE just lost to a team with an RPI of about 200. We may as well have lost to the blind.

The problem with today isn’t that we lost to ECU. It’s the loss to ECU plus the loss to Rutgers plus the loss to an Alabama team. When you lose games like those you don’t get yourself a lot of margin for error. I think we will still make the tournament and are certianly not headed to the NIT. However, I won’t say that it is impossible for us to not make the NCAA’s.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Jan 29 2005, 08:48 PM [b] I agree we'll be ok, but if the NCAA pairings were announced tomorrow & we had a 10 or 11, I'd be happy with it.

Hopefully, this was our BAD game for the year. [/b]

Id much rather be a 10th 11th or 12, than an 8 or 9.

[i]Originally posted by NINERcowbellplayer[/i]@Jan 29 2005, 07:46 PM [b]THANK YOU UNCCTF!!!!! You guys make it sound like we lost to the blind and deaf or something. ECU is tough at their place, Cincy only won by 6 there, and they beat Marquette....and oh yeah, look back 3 weeks, where i said this week was gonna be tough and we would be lucky to win both, and no one believed me. We'll beat Cincy, and prolly lose to Louisville. We'll be an 8th or 9th seed. Yous guys talk more shit then opposing teams, God damn......Personally, I'd almost rather be a higher seed, we play very well against hard teams on the road. Bobby will have them ready. All is well in Niner land as far as I see things.

GO NINERS!!![/b]

ECU is tough at their place… Gee, thanks for the newsflash.

Lutz saw that last year when he took less talent to Greenville and was needed a last second shot to get to OT.

Lutz said after the TCU game that the upperclassmen were preparing the younger for what they would face.

Yet, all of this preparation produced a 54-51 loss.

You think all is well in Niner land. Good for you.

As far as I’m concerned, this is without a doubt the most talent & experience that Lutz has ever had as Head Coach. I’m disappointed because what I saw from this team vs. Marquette & TCU, gave me hope that the team wouldn’t have a game where they “mailed it in”. Well, well the surprise is on me. What will be the result of the regular season? None of the following would surprise me:

14-13
15-12
16-11
17-10
18-9
19-8
20-7
21-6
22-5
23-4

At the start of the weekend, I did feel the team would finish the regular & post season with no worse than 6 losses. Guess the joke is on me.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante+Jan 30 2005, 12:10 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (SilvioDante @ Jan 30 2005, 12:10 AM)

It is not that we simply lost to ECU, but rather, how we lost and how bad we looked doing it.

We could easily drop 4 more games if we don’t pick it up.

“We could easily drop 4 more games if we don’t pick it up.”

I agree. Losses like ECU can have a lingering effect. Perhaps having a week off before the Cincy game will give the coaching staff time to right the ship.

I recall Mike Pratt’s last year here. We were having a great season and then laid an egg against a poor ECU team. We never recovered. I don’t think that will happen here but a win against the Bearcats is a must.

Lutz has shown the ability to turn things around after demoralizing losses. Also, I would expect Basden to come out with fire after such a bad outing.

For those that think all is well in Niner land, we just lost to a team that was 6-13. If ECU was such a hard place to place, don’t you think their record would be a little better? Given the talent on this team, I would call this one of the worst losses this program has had (right up there with Eckerd College). Check out the other thread on what happened to our RPI and that will provide further proof as to how damaging this loss was and why all is NOT well in Niner land.

[i]Originally posted by ChicagoNiner[/i]@Jan 30 2005, 08:22 AM [b] Given the talent on this team, I would call this one of the worst losses this program has had (right up there with Eckerd College). [/b]
You, sir, are a drama queen.
[i]Originally posted by ChicagoNiner[/i]@Jan 30 2005, 08:22 AM [b] For those that think all is well in Niner land, we just lost to a team that was 6-13. If ECU was such a hard place to place, don't you think their record would be a little better? Given the talent on this team, I would call this one of the worst losses this program has had (right up there with Eckerd College). Check out the other thread on what happened to our RPI and that will provide further proof as to how damaging this loss was and why all is NOT well in Niner land. [/b]
I would not go that far. Eckerd college beating us at home, trumps an away loss to ECU. Good teams will go to ECU and get beat. Hopefully that was our bad game for the rest of the season.

I would like to be able to give ECU props and say “good game”, but we just sucked, and they played only slightly better than us.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF+Jan 30 2005, 09:17 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (UNCCTF @ Jan 30 2005, 09:17 AM)
[i]Originally posted by 49erInMichigan[/i]@Jan 30 2005, 10:51 AM [b] Worst loss I can remember was at Houston in the 2000-2001 season. We were up by 14 with 6 minutes left, less then 3,000 fans there, and Houston was 4-15. On the bright side, we went 6-1 the rest of the way (only loss was at St. Louis, of course), won the Conference USA tourney, and won our 1st round that year against UT. Hopefully we can repeat that turn around this year, without the loss to St. Louis !! [/b]
Didn't we have a twenty-something point lead at the half in that game. I still consider the second half as one of our worst halves we have ever played. Of course, it was a nationally televised Sunday night game, so lots of viewers got to see us stink it up.

For you young guys, nothing compares to the games we fans suffered thru in eighties from a coach I will not mention