A-10 commitments for 2008-09

i have a hard time believing why we cant land any big time players. people says its the conference. but look at xavier, look at dayton, look at st. louis. they are all landing big time players in the same conference. i dont expect to land all three of these guys or even two of them but i have trouble believing we cant land one when two are from charlotte and we have a pipeline to victory christian high school.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;251830]i have a hard time believing why we cant land any big time players. people says its the conference. but look at xavier, look at dayton, look at st. louis. they are all landing big time players in the same conference. i dont expect to land all three of these guys or even two of them but i have trouble believing we cant land one when two are from charlotte and we have a pipeline to victory christian high school.[/QUOTE]

i would blame it on lutz’s lack of job security right now.

i forgot to add umass and them landing the #14 ranked pg in 2008. yeah, job security makes sense. still, this doesnt feel like a recent trend, lutz’s ability to recruit big time players.

well in the past lutz likes to find players who go unnoticed and then up making it huge here. see eddie basden as a prime example.

So what are we supposed to do if we dont land a ccouple stud high schoolers? Just not sign anyone?

We are going after Davilia and Gabriel very hard, but you have to have a plan B if they go somewhere else. I would rather have a solid role playing JUCO than no one at all.

Every school recruits big time talent, every school misses from time to time, not ever school loses 14 guys in two years and resorts right back to jucoland. I so can’t wait until next spring when some on here start trumpeting the juco athletic ability or whatever, but last year the kid was a one star high school kid that we would have been concerned about us recruiting.

The direction needs to change in our recruiting efforts, and I applaud Judy for not giving lutz an extension. One year its the conference, every other year its loss of assistant coaches, now throw in no contract extension. I see that as plausible at best, but I don’t believe we’d be any closer with davila or gabriel or whoever if lutz got an added 3 years.

Role playing is what you’ll get. The guy comes in for two years only, and I don’t really see a spot where he’ll play next year, add to that we will be two deep at every position as it is, so I don’t even see the guy getting minutes until his senior year. A freshman could at least get “feet wetting” minutes and then look to contribute the next three years. Steve Francis and Nick Van Exel aren’t coming from juco town anymore, instead we get 350 lb 6’6 centers, overrated pg’s, 110lb wet small forwards, and pf’s with tshirts bigger than them.

I guess b/c lutz doesn’t get his contract I should just not expect much in recruiting the next two offseasons, and then I should just not expect much for the next 5 years because “lutz didn’t get his contract” whining.

[QUOTE=dax;251833]well in the past lutz likes to find players who go unnoticed and then up making it huge here. see eddie basden as a prime example.[/QUOTE]
Dax, don’t forget that Eddie would have been a Minuteman if not for a coaching change at UMass. Lutz got lucky on that one.

[QUOTE=run49er;251836]Dax, don’t forget that Eddie would have been a Minuteman if not for a coaching change at UMass. Lutz got lucky on that one.[/QUOTE]

yeah i know. if i understand correctly not many other schools were recruiting him. But lutz has always had at least 1 big to base his entire offensive sets off of.

jobey, diego, curt just to name a few from recent years.

I think the contract situation plays a part in recruiting struggles, but not as big a part as some are trying to make it seem. Unless you are one of the traditional powers, or one of the teams that are viewed as the current elite, you are always going to have hurdles to overcome in recruiting.

Bobby used to be known as the guy that could always find a diamond in the rough, but if your programs stays at a mediocre level then eventually the hidden gems will be hard to sign. Recruits are looking for exposure, playing time, and a program that is viewed as being on their way up. To overcome hurdles, and recruit good players, you have to WIN and/or your coach needs to be a hell of a salesman. Winning will solve many of our problems, but these next couple of years will really show how well Bobby can coach.

I so can't wait until next spring when some on here start trumpeting the juco athletic ability or whatever, but last year the kid was a one star high school kid that we would have been concerned about us recruiting.

And whenever we let a ‘Stephen Curry’ get away, we have concerns about recruiting too! :biggrin:

If we had 5 scholarships to hand out, I would take Keller. In a heartbeat.

With ~2 schollies, I’d be pickier. Let Keller visit - he sounds like a very good player who will contribute at a high major somewhere. But don’t stray too far from the current path. It’s too early to go into panic mode over not being our recruits’ “leader” and then run around trying to sign 14 jucos at once. Last time I checked, Espinosa, Gabriel, Stephenson, Davila, etc. are still open w/Charlotte interest.

[QUOTE=dax;251833]well in the past lutz likes to find players who go unnoticed and then up making it huge here. see eddie basden as a prime example.[/QUOTE]
eddie basden was a top 100 player. i wouldnt say he went unnoticed.

And whenever we let a 'Stephen Curry' get away, we have concerns about recruiting too! :biggrin:

If we had 5 scholarships to hand out, I would take Keller. In a heartbeat.

With ~2 schollies, I’d be pickier. Let Keller visit - he sounds like a very good player who will contribute at a high major somewhere. But don’t stray too far from the current path. It’s too early to go into panic mode over not being our recruits’ “leader” and then run around trying to sign 14 jucos at once. Last time I checked, Espinosa, Gabriel, Stephenson, Davila, etc. are still open w/Charlotte interest.

I feel kinda like a bum not keeping up with this stuff, but who are our top prospects and who actually seems to like us?

Our top prospects would probably be Davila and Gabriel, but I’m not sure we’re the top choice of either of them at the moment.

[QUOTE=49or bust;251842]I feel kinda like a bum not keeping up with this stuff, but who are our top prospects and who actually seems to like us?[/QUOTE]
From the “Sticky Threads” at the top of the Recruiting Forum:

Link: 2008 Recruiting Assessment

[QUOTE=run49er;251844]From the “Sticky Threads” at the top of the Recruiting Forum:

Link: 2008 Recruiting Assessment[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Run -

And BTW - it was Kenny Gabriel that I was thinking about before, not Espinosa. Clemson, Charlotte, and ECU lead. (Someone might still want to double-check me on that. My memory sucks, as I just demonstrated :smile: )

[QUOTE=survivor45;251845]And BTW - it was Kenny Gabriel that I was thinking about before, not Espinosa. Clemson, Charlotte, and ECU lead.[/QUOTE]
According to Scout, Gabriel has offers from Charlotte, ECU, High Point, Marist, and UNCW. Schools of interest - Clemson, Miami-FL, Michigan, and Wake - have not offered.

[QUOTE=run49er;251852]According to Scout, Gabriel has offers from Charlotte, ECU, High Point, Marist, and UNCW. Schools of interest - Clemson, Miami-FL, Michigan, and Wake - have not offered.[/QUOTE]

Look at rivals. There’s a recent article (I don’t have a subscription) that had his previous ‘Top 3’ as Clemson, Charlotte, and Wake Forest. I searched around and found a full version of the article, but now I can’t find it. I’m pretty certain his new list is Clemson, Charlotte, and ECU.

Bust - Don’t let Bob Huggins see this list. :doh: I’m sure there’s a thread for most of these guys for more detail:

[B]Recruiting in a nutshell[/B]

[U]High School (Alphabetical order):[/U]

PF Victor Davila (Starmount - NC) - Ranked #102 overall for 2008, lotsa interest. Wake Forest used to lead, but now it’s completely up in the air. Charlotte is in the mix with about a dozen high majors/in-state schools.

SF David Diakite (National Christian Academy - MD) (SF) - 3 stars. “From big time athlete to big time prospect” is how rivals describes him. Auburn seems to lead with Charlotte in the mix with about 9 BCS/A10 schools.

SF Kenny Gabriel (Kings Mountain, NC) - 3 stars. We are in his Top 3 with Clemson and (ECU?).

SF Chris Reynolds (Augusta, GA) - 3 stars. Charlotte is included in a mix of high/mid majors

SG Jerel Stephenson (Augusta, GA) - 3 stars. Former football player. Great athlete and scorer and receiving interest from a ton of schools in the SEC/ACC.

SF Ernest Watson (Hyattsville, MD) - Skinny, “very long arms and is quite athletic” Good dunker and good shooter. Charlotte offered - interest from George Mason, Iowa State, Connecticut, Temple, and Marist (also offered).

[U]Jucos (most of the names are brand new): (no particular order):[/U]

Dominique Keller (Juco) - see above post from Lefty.

Paul Carter (Juco) - His coach compared him favorably to EJ Drayton. He narrowed his list to 4 schools yesterday: “Paul’s final four are Minnesota (leading), Charlotte, Wyoming, and Baylor. He is expected to sign early. He is planning to graduate and will have three years to play Division I.” [URL=http://p218.ezboard.com/Paul-Carter/fthehole84398frm8.showMessage?topicID=12371.topic]link[/URL] How is 3 years possible?

Horace Dixon (Saint Louis, Juco) - struggled mightily at the adjustment to college life at Saint Louis and the coach recommended he spend some time at junior college (I don’t know if he even enrolled at junior college, yet). Great athlete but needs to improve his poor skills.

Michael Graham (Juco)
Walt Harris (Juco)
Tim Parker (Juco)
Lance Pevehouse (Charlotte recruit went Juco)

[U]2009 Recruiting[/U]

Dante Taylor (National Christinan Academy - MD) - 4 stars. He has about 7 Big East/SEC/ACC schools currently watching him. Georgetown seems to lead. Big time recruit.

Josten Thomas (National Christinan Academy - MD) - 3 stars. Cincinnati seems to lead, Charlotte in the mix with about 4-5 other schools.

Wouldn’t it be kinda funny if we got a 2009 verbal before a 2008?

Looking at the list, I like the idea of possibly signing teammates from Augusta, Ga or Nat. Christian. We might lead with Ernest “Stretch” Watson (which is a good thing).

Lefty foolishly spends $800 or something/year on some dopey recruiting site. I wisely save my money and try to bum some info off of Lefty. Perhaps he can shed some light on recruiting, too.l

Jeff Goodman is taking note of A-10 recruiting in his FOXSports.com college hoops blog…

[b]FLYING HIGH[/b]

Dayton coach Brian Gregory appears to have found a replacement for when Brian Roberts leaves after this season.

The Flyers got a crucial commitment from Paul Williams, an athletic 6-foot-3 shooting guard out of Renaissance High in Detroit.

Williams was also looking at Illinois, Cincinnati, Michigan and Tennessee.

RANDOM NOTES: … Richmond coach Chris Mooney has picked up talented 6-foot-9 Aussie Josh Duinker.

Link: FOXSports.com

[QUOTE=survivor45;251854]
Lefty foolishly spends $800 or something/year on some dopey recruiting site. I wisely save my money and try to bum some info off of Lefty. Perhaps he can shed some light on recruiting, too.l[/QUOTE]

If you’re going to act like that, Lefty just might not be as generous in the future. :tongue:

Good update. That should replace the ones that are outdated at the top. Or start a new thread so it’s easy to follow.

[QUOTE=survivor45;251854]Look at rivals. There’s a recent article (I don’t have a subscription) that had his previous ‘Top 3’ as Clemson, Charlotte, and Wake Forest. I searched around and found a full version of the article, but now I can’t find it. I’m pretty certain his new list is Clemson, Charlotte, and ECU.[/QUOTE]

Miami has also offered according to his Rivals profile. Things seem to be heating up with the various propects.

In the latest Rivals top 150 for 2008, here’s a list of A-10 commits:

41 Kenny Frease - Xavier
107 Brett Thompson - Saint Louis
123 Mark Lyons - Xavier
142 David Gibbs - Massachusetts
148 Jiovanny Fontan - Fordham

Rivals.com: Rivals150 for class of 2008