A-10 commitments for 2008-09

I guess this guy isn’t on our radar for 2008. Tanner Smith – 6-5/195 combo guard out of Norcross, GA (Atlanta) – is making an official visit to St. Joe’s in August.

[b]Tanner Smith - Scout profile

Tanner Smith lines up four official visits[/b]

Fordham’s rising-sophomore Brenton Butler (should have been 2007 A-10 All-Rookie!) hails from Norcross as well.

Just updated to reflect another commit for St. Joe’s – 6-2/175 SG Chris Prescott of West Hartford, CT (Northwest Catholic HS). The Scout 3-star player chose the Hawks over Fordham, UMass, Rhode Island, and Seton Hall.

If Martelli can also land the aforementioned Tanner Smith (Norcross, GA), then the Hawks will be looking pretty good.

Just updated to reflect that one-time SLU commit Kwamain Mitchell (PG 6-0/180) has re-opened his recruitment. Apparently Tubby Smith is interested in him, though Mitchell hasn’t ruled out the Billikens when all is said and done.

Sorta interesting as it makes me think of recent St. Joe’s commit Chris Prescott who decided between playing for an upper tier A-10 team versus a bottom-feeding Big East Seton Hall (and said as much when he made his decision!). Mitchell will have to make the same decision. Upper tier A-10 SLU or bottom tier Big 10 Minnesota. Hmmm…

Just updated to reflect that one-time SLU commit Kwamain Mitchell (PG 6-0/180) has re-opened his recruitment. Apparently Tubby Smith is interested in him, though Mitchell hasn't ruled out the Billikens when all is said and done.

Sorta interesting as it makes me think of recent St. Joe’s commit Chris Prescott who decided between playing for an upper tier A-10 team versus a bottom-feeding Big East Seton Hall (and said as much when he made his decision!). Mitchell will have to make the same decision. Upper tier A-10 SLU or bottom tier Big 10 Minnesota. Hmmm…

Kinda reminds me of our position here. Charlotte area basketball studs pass up playing on a competitive UNCC team to go to a school like Clemson, USC, NCSU and destined to become whippin’ boys for Carolina and Duke (whom they have no chance of competing with).

Well, apparently the rumors of Kwamain Mitchell de-commiting to SLU were just that. All is well in Billiken Land!

Wissports.com: Sources say Mitchell remains committed to Saint Louis

Just added another Dayton commit to the list – 6-3/200 SG Paul Williams of Detroit/Renaissance H.S. Ranked #133 by Rivals. According to Scout, he chose the Flyers over offers and interest from the likes of Michigan State, Michigan, Cincinnati, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, and Syracuse

Rivals.com: Paul Williams profile

Scout.com: Paul Williams Verbals

In other A-10 news, GW is apparently no longer in the running for transferring Nigel Munson of VT, who wants to go to a school in the D.C.-area. In releasing the rising-sophomore who was pegged as the Hokies starting PG in 07-08, Seth Greenberg granted him the right to speak with any school but GW! Hmmm…

man only 8 more months until we find out which two jucos we pull out of a hat!

Just updated again to reflect Richmond commit by Aussie Josh Duinker, a 6-9 F/C. Not a lot on him, though apparently he was also on the radar of Washington State, SMU, and Saint Mary’s. The Richmond message board did post a piece about him dropping 40 points in a high school playoff game.

Meanwhile, the Niner coaching staff is somewhere in Texas hot on the JUCO trail… :rolleyes:

now ill even admit that im starting to get worried. we better land espinosa or gabriel or davila soon.

[QUOTE=ninerID;251707]man only 8 more months until we find out which two jucos we pull out of a hat![/QUOTE]

Wrong, early signing period decision for Keller. :biggrin: He’s coming for a visit.

[QUOTE]I’m going to visit Kansas State, Charlotte and UNLV, and plan to save my last two visits for Kansas and Kentucky.
[/QUOTE]

Obviously Davila and Gabriel are longshots based on the schools who are offering them…so we go the JUCO route to land comparable talent. If Kansas and Kentucky are really interested (they contacted his coach), then this kid can play.

Keller sounds like if Kansas or Kentucky show interest, that’s where he’s going to go. So let’s hope they back off of him

Wrong, early signing period decision for Keller. :biggrin: He's coming for a visit.

Obviously Davila and Gabriel are longshots based on the schools who are offering them…so we go the JUCO route to land comparable talent. If Kansas and Kentucky are really interested (they contacted his coach), then this kid can play.

This post made my head hurt.

Didn’t Davila change one of his 3 schools on his list from Wake Forest to ECU (#312 RPI)? (EDIT: Actually Ken Gabriel) Aren’t all of our HS recruits - who are enrolled at the type of High Schools in Maryland, NC and Georgia where you would want to establish a relationship for future recruits - still available?

How is this kid - who has Kansas, Kentucky, UNLV, and Moo U. watching him - considered LESS of a longshot “based on the schools who are offering him”? Why did the list of Texas Juco targets increase by about five overnight? I have zero issues in signing someone from a junior college - but the shift towards midwestern junior colleges is sudden and eyebrow-raising. WTF?

[QUOTE=survivor45;251777]This post made my head hurt.

Didn’t Davila change one of his 3 schools on his list from Wake Forest to ECU (#312 RPI)? Aren’t all of our HS recruits - who are enrolled at the type of High Schools in Maryland, NC and Georgia where you would want to establish a relationship for future recruits - still available?

How is this kid - who has Kansas, Kentucky, UNLV, and Moo U. watching him - considered LESS of a longshot “based on the schools who are offering him”? Why did the list of Texas Juco targets increase by about five overnight? I have zero issues in signing someone from a junior college - but the shift towards midwestern junior colleges is sudden and eyebrow-raising. WTF?[/QUOTE]

Longshots was a bit much. Both are being recruited by ACC schools (and Davila by Memphis) and we know how the story usually ends. I’m sure we will recruit them hard until the very end but if they say no, you better have some other guys in the mix.

If I am Judy Rose, my basketball coach has been sucking it up lately, flirting with other schools, only a year left on his contract after the upcoming season, a young core of talent, and then brings in two Juco’s I would fire him. This is ridiculous. There is a time where you just try to sustain what you have, and there is a time where you take a gamble on trying to take it to the next level or just continue to bring in young talent that can grow in a system.

[QUOTE=survivor45;251777]Didn’t Davila change one of his 3 schools on his list from Wake Forest to ECU (#312 RPI)?[/QUOTE]
I didn’t see ECU listed on either Rivals or Scout. BTW, Jeff Goodman of FOXSports.com reiterated this week that there is a strong possibility that Ricky Stokes will be fired by Terry Holland sometime very soon. As the worst men’s hoops program in C-USA by far (and all of college hoops, for that matter!), the Pirates have a long way to go to get themselves out of that cellar.

[QUOTE=run49er;251801]I didn’t see ECU listed on either Rivals or Scout. BTW, Jeff Goodman of FOXSports.com reiterated this week that there is a strong possibility that Ricky Stokes will be fired by Terry Holland sometime very soon. As the worst men’s hoops program in C-USA by far (and all of college hoops, for that matter!), the Pirates have a long way to go to get themselves out of that cellar.[/QUOTE]

ECU basketball is actually worse than duke football HAHAHA

Anyone know about this guy? He is going to Christ School up in Asheville, NC this year. I have not seen a post yet, but I may have missed it.

In other Greenies news, coach David Gaines said Thursday that Lakeem Jackson, a 6-foot-5 guard from Charlotte with offers from UNC Charlotte and Western Kentucky, is transferring to Christ School for his junior season. Jackson played last year at Harding University High.
[I]Looks like the Greenies, who have won two of the last three NCISAA 3-A championships, could be as strong as ever when basketball season rolls around.[/I]

Anyone know about this guy? He is going to Christ School up in Asheville, NC this year. I have not seen a post yet, but I may have missed it.

In other Greenies news, coach David Gaines said Thursday that Lakeem Jackson, a 6-foot-5 guard from Charlotte with offers from UNC Charlotte and Western Kentucky, is transferring to Christ School for his junior season. Jackson played last year at Harding University High.
Looks like the Greenies, who have won two of the last three NCISAA 3-A championships, could be as strong as ever when basketball season rolls around.

Nice find.

Scout has him as a 2-star and rivals has no profile yet (but one may pop up soon). Rivals wrote this last week:

Best attribute? Athleticism.
Worst attibute? Can’t shoot.

[QUOTE=survivor45;251815]Nice find.

[URL=http://hsnorthcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=404&p=8&c=1&nid=3072720]Scout[/URL] has him as a 2-star and rivals has no profile yet (but one may pop up soon). Rivals wrote this last week:

Best attribute? Athleticism.
Worst attibute? Can’t shoot.[/QUOTE]

maybe lutz will give him the green light to shoot whenever he wants then :lmao:

If I am Judy Rose, my basketball coach has been sucking it up lately, flirting with other schools, only a year left on his contract after the upcoming season, a young core of talent, and then brings in two Juco's I would fire him. This is ridiculous. There is a time where you just try to sustain what you have, and there is a time where you take a gamble on trying to take it to the next level or just continue to bring in young talent that can grow in a system.

So what are we supposed to do if we dont land a ccouple stud high schoolers? Just not sign anyone?

We are going after Davilia and Gabriel very hard, but you have to have a plan B if they go somewhere else. I would rather have a solid role playing JUCO than no one at all.