A10 Tournament Optimism

Because the other thread is fuggin ridiculous.

We need to beat Duquense and then keep a sharp eye on how the middle range of the conference plays out because it will have a direct effect on our first opponent. We should be talking about this. Who do we and don’t we want to see again?

I’ll say right off the bat that it’s no longer good for us if GW makes the final. It’d help us tremendously if they were upset.

I'll say right off the bat that it's no longer good for us if GW makes the final. It'd help us tremendously if they were upset.

I think that was pretty clear around 9:00pm last Saturday.

Personally, I don’t really care to face GW, Saint Louis or Temple. GW for obvious reasons and the other two because of the matchup problems. Aside from those three, I feel we’re more talented than the remaining teams and match up pretty well with most. There are a couple teams that could catch us off guard if we take them lightly. But barring a collapse and $hitty seeding, I think we should have a pretty easy run to the semis. Though, you can’t really assume a whole lot with this Niner team.

What happened to Xavier? Another loss, this time to St. Joe’s. My how the mighty have fallen.

I’m still hoping that GW does the Indianapolis Colts thing and loses to Charlotte at the end of the season. And/or St. Louis loses to LaSalle. But then again, the A-10 is so unsettled, its impossible to hope for a 2 or a 3 seed since you have no idea who you’ll be playing.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;157726]I think that was pretty clear around 9:00pm last Saturday.
Personally, I don’t really care to face GW, Saint Louis or Temple. GW for obvious reasons and the other two because of the matchup problems. [/QUOTE]

Oh is that all? haha! Who would you prefer? LaSalle?

Any team we play will give us problems. Of course it would be nice for GW to get upset but I think we both no that’s pretty unlikely. It’s going to be an up hill battle. In the end if this team wants to play in the NCAA’s they’re going to have to beat GW. If they don’t or can’t, then they shouldn’t be in the NCAA’s.

This conference is STACKED with pretty good (NIT) teams and just one good team (GW). Someone could step up and knock off GW, it’s just that noone has yet.

Oh is that all? haha! Who would you prefer? LaSalle?

Any team we play will give us problems. .

Agreed but I just went with the three most obvious. This tournament will be wide open and anyone’s to win. Even a team like Xavier could be dangerous early on, despite their recent struggles. You can flip a coin in this tournament because there is not a clear-cut favorite to win, including GW. They’re probably the team to beat but I won’t be surprised to see them get knocked off before the finals.

What happened to Xavier? Another loss, this time to St. Joe's. My how the mighty have fallen.

I saw some of that game. They did not look like the same team from earlier this year, on the mental side. They looked lost at times…

Good for Charlotte if it keeps up and we play them.

Honestly on a neutral court I’d rather contend with LaSalle. Nothing against LaSalle, it’s just all about matchups.

I read or heard somewhere last week that the A10 regular season winner never wins the A10 tournament. If true, this wouldn’t be a good year for GW to break that trend.

Even St Joe’s lost to end their undefeated season.

I do think there are some teams I’d rather see than others. For instance - even though we’d be favored again versus Dayton, I hate the idea of trying to 3-peat against a team in a single season because the odds are so stacked against doing it. I’d rather have another shot at X than them, even if I still think X is a better team.

Any team we draw is going to give us fits. Fordham or Rhode Island would be nice to see for our first game, but I don’t think it will be one of them. The only team I definitely do not want to see is Xavier. Yeah. Thornton and Finn are gone, but I don’t want to play a road game anytime in the Conference Tourney. It has never worked well for us. Temple, SLU, and UMass would all be tough draws, but we have to beat them sooner or later. St. Joe’s is well coached, but we have better talent than them at almost every position. Dayton would be tough to beat three times in one season, also, but we know how to Wither(s) them away. LaSalle, even with Smith, just doesn’t scare me. Just please, no Xavier.

No Xavier… don’t want to see a team on their home court that has already won one game the night before and that could get the fans out on their behalf knowing it is the only NCAA Tournament chance. Happened with Memphis last year. I think anyone else in that 5-9 range we have a better shot against.

It’s win the A-14 Tourney or no Ncaa. I refuse to call it the math-challenged name.

Do you use the name “Big Ten” since they incorporate the “11” into their logo?

Brain fart on me for forgetting X is the homecourt team. I want none of that. None I say!

Surprisingly, Xavier fans don’t seem all that excited at being the home court team. From the A10 messageboards:

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by [B]DC Muskie[/B] [SIZE=-2]You know what I LOVED from one of the commentators last night? Was when he said Xavier has a really good shot at winning the A-10 tournament, because get this…

It’s in Cincinnati!

Just moments before they were talking about how Xavier has lost 4 times at the Cintas Center this year and that never happens. And yet somehow, playing in US Bank/First Union/Riverfront/WKRC Bank is going to make them tough. This is during a game that is being played in Cincinnati where Xavier HAS NOT LEAD FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!

Really, what is with our playing out of timeouts? Is there a talk of turining the [URL=http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=246362&page=2&pp=15#]ball[/URL] over each time? I mean when the guys are in the huddle does Sean run the extended motion, turn-the-ball-over play?

“Okay guys. Let’s focus here. We need to give the ball back to the Hawks. Don’t do it right away, they’ll be looking for that. Let’s run around the 3 point line, and then Wolf, you either bounce it off your head, or throw it at Cage ankles. Remember, no one dive for the ball, our managers hate getting blood out of uniforms. Then when we are back on defense, make sure Jalloh blows by you like the Roadrunner. Put your hands up like Wyle E. Coyete and try to foul him. Okay, everybody got that? Good. One, two, three, LOSE!”[/SIZE]

[/QUOTE]

per espn.com

“George Washington center [URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=11470]Pops Mensah-Bonsu[/URL] isn’t expected to return in time for the Atlantic 10 tournament following surgery on his left knee.”

I hate that for him and his team, but that really will make curts job easier in the post for us, and makes them losing early a bigger reality. Hopefully we take advantage of it and lets get to the tournament and play like we are capable. Remember both the A-10 tourney and the NCAA are on neutral/road courts, so thats another bonus. Lets go niners we need to prove to everyone that we can play as a TEAM not as indiviuals and make a run, lets force the observer to cover us.

I was thinking last night that I do not want to face St. Joes again this year. They are playing better than they were when we played them last.

I would love to play St. Louis again… wouldn’t help our chances, but I’m still in pain after that terrible finish. I want redemption. Besides, we could be a lot better, but we shouldn’t be afraid to play any of these teams in the A-10.

[QUOTE=BobandEd49er;157741]I saw some of that game. They did not look like the same team from earlier this year, on the mental side. They looked lost at times…

Good for Charlotte if it keeps up and we play them.[/QUOTE]

If we play X in the tourney, sincy fans will show up and pull for US!!

I call the Midwestern conference the Big 11, thank you.