A10 Tourney Site up for bids

From Dick Jerardi of the [I]Philadelphia Daily News[/I]...

The Palestra would be a great place for the A-10 tourney. Just wonder why they didnā€™t put in a formal bid. Hmmmā€¦

Iā€™m guessing they didnā€™t want to put in the effort because their gut feeling is its not moving from AC.

[QUOTE=Normmm;376689]Iā€™m guessing they didnā€™t want to put in the effort because their gut feeling is its not moving from AC.[/QUOTE]
Normmm, I re-read Jerardiā€™s piece and sounds to me like the folks at Penn are either unwilling or unable to make a financial guarantee to the A-10. If they can work it out, Philly would be the perfect site to hold the tournament.

From Andy Katzā€¦

ā€¢ The Atlantic 10 is considering five cities for the conference tournament from 2010 to 2012. The candidates are: Atlantic City (hosting again this March); Cincinnati (U.S. Bank Arena); Dayton, Ohio; Springfield, Mass. (the Hall of Fame is backing this venture, too); and Pittsburgh (Duquesne at the new Penguins facility, which wouldn't be ready until 2011). The problem for the A-10 has always been attendance. The conference is going to home sites for the first round, which is a good move. It has good student participation, so a concerted effort on busing students to the tournament would be a good idea to make these sites work. Upon further review, the A-10 really had no choice but to go with CBS' offer to put the championship game on the Sunday of selection weekend.

ESPN.com: Andy Katz Blog - Jan. 13, 2009

The Palestra would be the best choice out of all of them (even better than AC).

I was considering making the trip for our game Sunday, especially since it has been moved to an earlier time. I really want to experience a game there and how many opportunities are we going to get to actually play there?

Does Dayton even have an airport?

Sure it does. They featured it in the movie Eagle-Eye. :biggrin:

Itā€™s not much of one. Some extreme budget carriers used to go in there. What was the one out of GSO? Could fly there for $80 round trip. If itā€™s in Dayton, though, just drive there. Iā€™ve taken the Cleveland Charlotte 77 express line many times. Pretty drive.

And Pit has an airport. Itā€™s the land of prop planes. Iā€™ve laid over there when it was a hub. Midwest airports equal :yuck:

The Palestra would be the best choice out of all of them (even better than AC).

I was considering making the trip for our game Sunday, especially since it has been moved to an earlier time. I really want to experience a game there and how many opportunities are we going to get to actually play there?

For arenas, yes. as a town to be stuck in for a weekendā€¦no.

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;376798]And Pit has an airport. Itā€™s the land of prop planes. Iā€™ve laid over there when it was a hub. Midwest airports equal :yuck:[/QUOTE]

Pittā€™s airport is very modern, if a tad blah. Itā€™s basically a mall with an electric tram to the gates. That thing kinda hauls ass.

Pitt's airport is very modern, if a tad blah. It's basically a mall with an electric tram to the gates. That thing kinda hauls ass.

Agree that the airport building is kinda nice. Love the glass.

Just hard to find an eatery in a place like that.

For arenas, yes. as a town to be stuck in for a weekend...........no.

I donā€™t get the hate for Philadelphia.

For the partiers, there are enough bars and clubs to enjoy. For the older folks, there are plenty of sight seeing venues, it is a very historic city.

Compared to the other choices, I think it is great.

did you see that, first round games no longer at tourny site, on campus games.

Too bad we wont even be in the damn thing.

I don't get the hate for Philadelphia.

For the partiers, there are enough bars and clubs to enjoy. For the older folks, there are plenty of sight seeing venues, it is a very historic city.

Sorry. I was thinking of Cinci. Phillyā€™s ok. My bad.

I don't get the hate for Philadelphia.

I have to agree. Iā€™ve driven through downtown, past city hall, and all the businesses and it seemed really nice. Of course, then I took a tour of Temple in '01 and it was far from nice, but every city has that.