advice from nnn parents

I want some advice from a few NNN parents. A few months ago my 7 yr old daughter was at the neighbors playing with their kids. A pickup softball/wiffle ball game took place with the kids and the parents watching. My daughter swung the bat, and it hits the 3 yr old child who lives there. It cut her eye open, and they took her to the ER. Well the ER bill was $500, and the cost to the family was $276. No stitches happen, just that Durabond glue to seal the cut. So tonight my neighbor brings me the bill.

If a kid comes to my house and accidentally hurts my kid in a game, I am not taking the bill to anyone. Kids are kids and they get hurt-alot. Now if there is malicious intent or an attack that’s different.

Should I tell them to pound rock salt? Important tidbit, both the mom and dad are attorneys. :lmao:

I think you are 100% right, but since the parents are attys. in today’s society, I would save a lot of time, effort and money and pay the bill.

I want some advice from a few NNN parents. A few months ago my 7 yr old daughter was at the neighbors playing with their kids. A pickup softball/wiffle ball game took place with the kids and the parents watching. My daughter swung the bat, and it hits the 3 yr old child who lives there. It cut her eye open, and they took her to the ER. Well the ER bill was $500, and the cost to the family was $276. No stitches happen, just that Durabond glue to seal the cut. So tonight my neighbor brings me the bill.

If a kid comes to my house and accidentally hurts my kid in a game, I am not taking the bill to anyone. Kids are kids and they get hurt-alot. Now if there is malicious intent or an attack that’s different.

Should I tell them to pound rock salt? Important tidbit, both the mom and dad are attorneys. :lmao:

LAME… they gonna sue the peewee football coach if there kid gets injured there, too?

Screw em.

the worst part, my wife made my daughter go back to their house that night (with cookies) to make sure she was OK and apologize.

[QUOTE=metro;430899]the worst part, my wife made my daughter go back to their house that night (with cookies) to make sure she was OK and apologize.[/QUOTE]

Punch the dad in the face and send him the bill for going to the doctor because your knuckles hurt.

Tell them it’s not your responsibility to pay anything but that you will pay HALF the bill anyway. Consider it an investment, especially if it keeps you on their good side.

If they don’t agree to spitting the bill, tell them to shove it or take Cha_49’s advice…

Punch the dad in the face and send him the bill for going to the doctor because your knuckles hurt.
[U] exactly[/U] how I feel

You’re not obligated to pay anything. It won’t matter that the parents are attorneys. They should be the first to know that a 7 year old does not have the capacity to be negligent, therefore you are not in anyway liable. If they were watching your daughter the matter is technically their fault.

I agree that offering to pay half would be a good gesture, but you aren’t in any legal trouble if you opt against it.

I’d ask what kind of sad sheltered lives your neighbors lived to think you’d have to pay for kids being kids. I think amongst my group of friends growing up we all cost each other a half dozen broken bones and a hundred stitches. Never once did anyone’s parents ever pull a stunt like that.

Rant aside, what donkeyjaws said.

plz do not pay! what if it happened in little league??? they gonna sue? helll no!

since it didnt happen on your property or under your supervision, u should not be liable. if anyone would, it would be whose property it happened at or who was supervising.

but does suck since its neighbors and ur child’s friend… the MOST i would do is half the bill… but that would be it. I most likely wouldn’t pay though.

that’s NUTZ!!! up to you whether u have the dough to eliminate the hassle or if you wanna stand on principles!!!

next time your daughter gets sick and u have a doc bill… ask ur neigbhbor lawyers what they think about sueing the sick kids at school!!!

I do have no problem with this. Your daughter accidentally hurt another kid. She should be sorry and concerned about the other kids health.

The bringing of the bill would piss me off.

[QUOTE=metro;430899]the worst part, my wife made my daughter go back to their house that night (with cookies) to make sure she was OK and apologize.[/QUOTE]

I do have no problem with this. Your daughter accidentally hurt another kid. She should be sorry and concerned about the other kids health. This, to me, is decency.

The bringing of the bill by the neighbor would piss me off, but don’t blame the little kid’s for her/his parents rudeness.

Tintin

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;430901]Consider it an investment, especially if it keeps you on their good side.[/QUOTE]

Something tells me that Metro is no longer on their good side if they brought them the bill. Metro, how do you know that their kid did not walk up behind your daughter? I mean, I would have offered to pay half the bill just to be nice, but if they’re pressing for full payment they are being dicks.

Now, with that said, if they pursue this matter in court, they likely don’t pay a thing (more than they already have) and you will likely pay more than the ER bill to fight it. If you know a lawyer who won’t charge you dearly for a consultation, I would ask them about it. My guess is your lawyer neighbors already know this cost plus the court costs and that’s why they’re pressing you to pay thinking you won’t fight it.

Let us know if they invite your daughter over to play again in the future.

Something tells me that Metro is no longer on their good side if they brought them the bill. Metro, how do you know that their kid did not walk up behind your daughter? I mean, I would have offered to pay half the bill just to be nice, but if they're pressing for full payment they are being dicks.

Now, with that said, if they pursue this matter in court, they likely don’t pay a thing (more than they already have) and you will likely pay more than the ER bill to fight it. If you know a lawyer who won’t charge you dearly for a consultation, I would ask them about it. My guess is your lawyer neighbors already know this cost plus the court costs and that’s why they’re pressing you to pay thinking you won’t fight it.

Let us know if they invite your daughter over to play again in the future.

lol
No, we are on their good side. No drama, ever. They are just arrogant yankee lawyers and this is how they do things, and why they have no friends- except another atty he works with.

and there is no legal talk happening, he just brought the bill over since we said we would take care of anything after it happened. Little did we know he’d serve us a $300 bill.

Most visits to a urgent care have a $50 co pay.

I am not an attorney and I don’t make an attorney’s salary.

But…

I too would be pissed that they are trying to make you pay for [B][I]an accident[/I][/B] between 2 kids…but I would be more pissed that 2 attorneys feel the need to pass on a $200 bill!!!

The money that 2 attorneys bring in…PLUS it being an accident…either means they are just flat out jerks or they really, really, really don’t think much of you already!

(just posted and noticed your reply above…I guess it’s the “Jerk” explaination)

either means they are just flat out jerks or they really, really, really don't think much of you already!

(just posted and noticed your reply above…I guess it’s the “Jerk” explaination)

the lady calls my wife all the time to do stuff, so I know they like us

fwiw, the “metro” character on nnn is not how one would percieve me in person :biggrin:

[QUOTE=metro;430915]
and there is no legal talk happening, he just brought the bill over since [B]we said we would take care of anything after it happened[/B]. Little did we know he’d serve us a $300 bill.[/QUOTE]

In your defense, most people who make the incomes that they make would not make you stand by those words, and they certainly should not have made you pay all of it when it was an accident.

[QUOTE=metro;430915]Most visits to a urgent care have a $50 co pay.[/QUOTE]

Was it ER or urgent care? For my insurance, there is a $100 difference in the co-pay.

[QUOTE=donkeyjaws;430903] They should be the first to know that a 7 year old does not have the capacity to be negligent,[/QUOTE]

Ughhh… umm no.

[QUOTE=metro;430915]lol
No, we are on their good side. No drama, ever. They are just arrogant yankee lawyers and this is how they do things, and why they have no friends- except another atty he works with.

and there is no legal talk happening, he just brought the bill over since we said we would take care of anything after it happened. Little did we know he’d serve us a $300 bill.

Most visits to a urgent care have a $50 co pay.[/QUOTE]

That would be a different story if you said “We will take care of anything.” In their mind you said you would pay for it. From your initial post I would have said no F’ing way, but this tidbit changes things.

Easiest thing is to pay the $276 and move on, everything else may cause you more headache than you want to deal with. I would try and let your wife negotiate with the other wife so maybe you can pay less and still save face.

[URL=http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31340561&id=36603523][/URL]

I wish my teammate would have paid half of my bill when this happened in the Maryland Regional Flag Football game in 2006…going up for an interception and our safety clocked me with his elbow…8 stitches and 2 days later this photo was taken. Cost me about a grand…after insurance.

I think paying half is a nice gesture to keep the relationship intact…but if it were me my kids wouldn’t be playing with attorney’s kids anyway…so I’d offer to pay half or nothing at all. **** happens. And why do ppl go to the ER for this kind of stuff??? Urgent care will take care of it and cost pennies on the dollar.