Alex Highsmith selected by Steelers

I would like to congratulate the Niner who will be starting his 2nd NFL season as the starting outside linebacker for the prestigious Pittsburgh Steelers. Alex Highsmith, you have made NinerNation proud. You have made SteelersNation proud. You rank among the most productive Rookie outside linebackers in Steelers history. Now, get back to work. Push your car. Run that hill. Hit a man

1 Like
1 Like

I do not foresee Alex in a Bar Fight any time soon. Best 2020 draft choice by the Steelers - Highsmith

1 Like
1 Like

clt says it is amazing that we even field sports, being such a small school of 30k +

1 Like

I’m still scratching my head over the “unproven” headline in regards to Highsmith, not to mention shouldn’t the blog be titled “Steel” Curtain instead of “Still” Curtain? :thinking:

Bud’s Year 1 and Year 2 stats were pretty similar to Alex Highsmith. They started about the same amount of games (4 to 5) with Bud having about 4 sacks to Alex’s 2. Alex had significantly higher tackles, probably because Bud’s go to move alway had him going up field and away from making many tackles. Alex did have a terrific interception as a 3rd olb, which arguably turned the Ravens game around.

Alex is much closer to 1st Dupree than 1st round bust Jarvis Jones. His game impact has been more immediate and diverse than Dupree or James Harrison in their year 1. Clark Haggans did not start more than 2 games until his 5th season. Joey Jerry Porter did not start his rookie year and had 2 sacks, although Porter should have started his rookie year and had 10.5 sacks in Year 2.

How again is A lex unproven?

Look who is getting bigger/stronger

Tim Benz is usually wrong unless he is kissing SuperG Mark Madden’s ass in timid agreement. For some confounding reasons that are often vague and nondescript, Benz has shown much butthurt about Alex Highsmith. Perhaps its his Yankee complex. Alex has been more productive than any rookie Steelers outside linebacker not named Watt under Tomlin. He has been as productive as the best rookies under Cowher. They bitch and moan about character guys there, then dog Alex?

Great work Sam!

Sam and Alex Highsmith

When he was in college, Sam Highsmith was a cheerleader for the University of North Carolina, cheering for some of the greatest ever to play the game in Michael Jordan and James Worthy.

Now, the player he is the biggest cheerleader for is his son, Alex Highsmith.

Highsmith has a pride in his son that even causes his voice to crack when he talks about him, not just as a football player, but also as a man.

“I am amazingly proud knowing where he came from,” said Highsmith. "There are kids who reach out and say they are so proud of him that knew him growing up, that they were a part of his journey. The people who knew him growing up, they know where he came from, know his journey.

“I am even prouder of the man he has become because I know I did my job as a dad, we did our job as parents. I tell him I am so proud of the man he has become. The fame, all of that, that isn’t important to him. It’s being the man he has become.”

With that, you could hear his voice crack as he paused.

Highsmith_Alex_Fathers_Day_2021_018

“It does mean a lot. I am blessed,” said Highsmith. “We have been together since day one. We know the importance of that. That still doesn’t guarantee your children will be successful and good adults. The smile I get when people say he is a good athlete, is special. But when they say he is a good person, that means so much more.”

There is no question he was there for him since day one. Highsmith coached Alex in almost every sport, except soccer, as he said because he didn’t know anything about the sport, and swimming, because he can’t swim. But football, baseball, basketball, dad was there for all of it.

“It was priceless to have that time together,” said Highsmith. "It gave me an opportunity to be a part of something I loved with my son. My father was older when I was born, and he wasn’t a great athlete. He loved sports but didn’t go out and work with me. I wanted to do that with my son.

“I was always tough coaching him. You always expect more out of yourself and your own. When I coached him, I was always trying so hard not to show favoritism that sometimes I would be tougher on him than others if he didn’t do things right. I didn’t want to show favoritism. Sometimes I over did it. I felt like I got to a point where I could read him.”

Once the younger Highsmith got to high school, that is when his dad stopped coaching him. But that doesn’t mean he stopped giving him support. Highsmith was a late bloomer in football, but there was a point when his dad started to see there was potential for something more. He never could have imagined it would turn out to be what it is now, playing in the NFL. Last year Highsmith made it to as many games as he could with all of the COVID regulations, and he can’t wait to see more in 2021 with restrictions being lifted.

6 Likes

Flat out awesome. Now that’s a background story I would have never expected, but am exceedingly pleased to now know it. Love the pix too. Thanks for sharing. :green_heart::pick::green_heart::pick:

Alex is going to be a star with a long NFL career.

1 Like

I love to see Sam representing the HangLoose CPick and the Niner gear, and with appropriate pride. We need many more Sams in our world. Thank you Sam.

2 Likes