All kidding and fussing aside...

What do you guys see for the rest of this year and Lutz’ future?

I see 8-6 OOC, 8-8 or so in Conf play and maybe 1 win in the tourney.

Hope I’m wrong, I think that’s about it. If that’s the case, I see Lutz in some real trouble. We’ll still be young next year and your only semblence of a go-to guy is gone.

Kinda makes me worry. I’ve seen talk that Lutz has had only 2 bad yrs (not true). This could well turn into the 3rd and next year is cause for concern. I’m officailly worried about the direction of this program.

Once again, I hope I’m wrong and we beat Clemson Wed and go 12-4 in the conf. I just don’t see it with this system.

8-6 OOC
10-6 A10
1-1 in A10 tourney

19-13

Perhaps some for of post season

Enough to extend Lutz? Hard to say.

I personally think, as much as he drives me insane sometimes, he is the best coach we will ever have that will stay long term. We might find better coaches, but if success comes, the revolving door will too. Xavier has done a good job of being a revolving door and sustaining success, so it is possible, but I’m not so sure with this administration.

This thread seems familiar…

Win total - This season

[QUOTE=run49er;281660]This thread seems familiar…

Win total - This season[/QUOTE]

oops, missed it- but I’m asking what about Lutz as well.

What do you guys see for the rest of this year and Lutz' future?

I see 8-6 OOC, 8-8 or so in Conf play and maybe 1 win in the tourney.

Hope I’m wrong, I think that’s about it. If that’s the case, I see Lutz in some real trouble. We’ll still be young next year and your only semblence of a go-to guy is gone.

Kinda makes me worry. I’ve seen talk that Lutz has had only 2 bad yrs (not true). This could well turn into the 3rd and next year is cause for concern. I’m officailly worried about the direction of this program.

Once again, I hope I’m wrong and we beat Clemson Wed and go 12-4 in the conf. I just don’t see it with this system.

This year was supposed to suck.

With all deserved respect to Leemire, we should be in better shape next year. That’s kind of the idea. A college player doing well in his freshman year is the exception - not the rule. Just take a look around at the best players in this league (or any league) and you’ll see what I mean. Calathes is playing like a 1st teamer and he averaged under 2 points/game in his first season. Christmas won the scoring title last year as a soph - he scored 2.5 ppg as a frosh. Even Lee only averaged about six points in his first year. It’s the ol’ “sophomore leap”.

[QUOTE=survivor45;281670]This year was supposed to suck.

With all deserved respect to Leemire, we should be in better shape next year. That’s kind of the idea. A college player doing well in his freshman year is the exception - not the rule. Just take a look around at the best players in this league (or any league) and you’ll see what I mean. Calathes is playing like a 1st teamer and he averaged under 2 points/game in his first season. Christmas won the scoring title last year as a soph - he scored 2.5 ppg as a frosh. Even Lee only averaged about six points in his first year. It’s the ol’ “sophomore leap”.[/QUOTE]

Who on this roster makes “the leap”?

Our record is a wild guess at this point.

We could go .500 in conference or beat Clemson (not betting the farm on this one), and only lose 3-4 conf. games.

Last year was bad - really bad, but this year is a huge improvement. This years team is playing defense, we just don’t have enough scorers.
I personally hope we do well and Lutz stays, but we have got to either extend his contract or cut him loose. The administration is handcuffing the guy and there is no way he can recruit here without a contract.

It may be time for a change for all involved. but I think the cards are stacked against Lutz and people are expecting a miracle from him.

Who on this roster makes "the leap"?

Obviously you’d expect it to be An’Juan.

Who on this roster makes "the leap"?

My hope is that Mack can become a go to guy. I realize he has a ways to go but I think it’s a possibility. We’ve seen progress in 1 season before with guys like Drayton, Young, Zimmerman and I’ll even throw in Basden. And I also hope Gerrity gets his confidence between now and then. It could mean a huge difference between a 4 pts a game Gerrity and 10 pts a game.

i have to agree with the starting post. when leemire goes cold we do not have many players to step up and fill the void. and when you shoot 3’s like we do, there will be some cold shooting nights. today, i do not see a longer term for bobby. lee was off saturday, everybody seemed to notice it but lutz. he would have been a good decoy at the end of the game. mack is taller and probably could have gotten off a better shot. we will be lucky to finish 8-8 in the conference.

[QUOTE=Normmm;281677]My hope is that Mack can become a go to guy. I realize he has a ways to go but I think it’s a possibility. We’ve seen progress in 1 season before with guys like Drayton, Young, Zimmerman and I’ll even throw in Basden. And I also hope Gerrity gets his confidence between now and then. It could mean a huge difference between a 4 pts a game Gerrity and 10 pts a game.[/QUOTE]

I think Mack really stepped up in the rally Saturday vs Maryland. He has a good shot and can drive/post-up. He is not going to be an off-the-screen shooter like Lee, but he can score the ball. Ian has been better and if he is confident and continues to play defense, he will get more time next year as well. Does Javarris become a good bench guy next year and Ian take over the starting SG role?

As for Anjuan, he needs to work on his jumper. When people play him close he can drive and score but he doesn’t do some well when they step back and force him to shoot.

Lastly, about the administration…will they pay the $$ to get a decent coach in here? Also, how do you justify firing the winningest coach in Charlotte Basketball history after a potential 17+ win season if the next guy stinks it up? If they fire Lutz, then Judy’s butt will be the one on the line. The newhire would have to win quickly.

If they fire Lutz, then Judy's butt will be the one on the line. The newhire would have to win quickly.

So this is why people like Metro wouldn’t be so heartbroken for Lutz to go… a bigger agenda huh? haha

Ian has been better and if he is confident and continues to play defense, he will get more time next year as well. Does Javarris become a good bench guy next year and Ian take over the starting SG role?

I’m not rooting against Ian. I love his enthusiasm and team chemistry. I also love that he’s 6’5". So I hope that he proves me wrong. But my real hope is that Bowden comes in and is an immediate stud.

Ian is not 6’5", I seriously doubt he really is 6’4".

[QUOTE=scollie41;281686]I think Mack really stepped up in the rally Saturday vs Maryland. He has a good shot and can drive/post-up. He is not going to be an off-the-screen shooter like Lee, but he can score the ball. Ian has been better and if he is confident and continues to play defense, he will get more time next year as well. Does Javarris become a good bench guy next year and Ian take over the starting SG role?

As for Anjuan, he needs to work on his jumper. When people play him close he can drive and score but he doesn’t do some well when they step back and force him to shoot.

Lastly, about the administration…will they pay the $$ to get a decent coach in here? Also, how do you justify firing the winningest coach in Charlotte Basketball history after a potential 17+ win season if the next guy stinks it up? If they fire Lutz, then Judy’s butt will be the one on the line. The newhire would have to win quickly.[/QUOTE]

If you’re happy with a 17 win season(which probably includes about 14 losses) and maybe an NIT berth,than bully for you! Wasn’t so long ago that not making the NCAA’S was the measuring stick.To say that we can’t expect that,paying a coach $500k…shame on us!

If you're happy with a 17 win season(which probably includes about 14 losses) and maybe an NIT berth,than bully for you! Wasn't so long ago that not making the NCAA'S was the measuring stick.[B]To say that we can't expect that,[U]paying a coach $500k[/U]...shame on us![/B]
That is not very much money.
Ian is not 6'5", I seriously doubt he really is 6'4".

Easy. The point wasn’t whether Ian is 6’5" or 6’3 and 5/8th". The point was that IMO he has good size for a SG, especially when compared to the likes of Goldwire, Plavich and Brown. But I would also suggest, I don’t know how close you can get during a game, but try to get a glimpse of Ian and Mack close to one another on the court and see if it looks like there is a 4" difference in height as you are suggesting.

[QUOTE=eason49;281695]That is not very much money.[/QUOTE]
Oh, the irony of such a statement… :tongue:

Easy. The point wasn't whether Ian is 6'5" or 6'3 and 5/8th". The point was that IMO he has good size for a SG, especially when compared to the likes of Goldwire, Plavich and Brown. But I would also suggest, I don't know how close you can get during a game, but try to get a glimpse of Ian and Mack close to one another on the court and see if it looks like there is a 4" difference in height as you are suggesting.

I talked with Ian in Belk last year and am a legit 6’3" in my bball shoes, and he was taller, not by like 6 or 7 inches but taller. My friend was with me who was 6’5" and they were of comparable height.

I'm not rooting against Ian. I love his enthusiasm and team chemistry. I also love that he's 6'5". So I hope that he proves me wrong. But my real hope is that Bowden comes in and is an immediate stud.

Ian is improving offensively. I was down on him early in the year, but he is shooting much better in the last 6 games or so (46% overall, 41% from 3).

As for his defense, well hopefully that will get better too, but that may be one reason to hope Bowden can play early.