All kidding and fussing aside...

[QUOTE=eason49;281695]That is not very much money.[/QUOTE]

Damn dude- letā€™s go drinking before the next game, on you.

Seriously, itā€™s not big-time coaching money, but we havenā€™t won big time either.

[QUOTE=lucky57;281694]If youā€™re happy with a 17 win season(which probably includes about 14 losses) and maybe an NIT berth,than bully for you! Wasnā€™t so long ago that not making the NCAAā€™S was the measuring stick.To say that we canā€™t expect that,paying a coach $500kā€¦shame on us![/QUOTE]

I never once said I was happy with 17 wins. Hell, I want to see some 22+ win seasons with deep post-season runs. Iā€™m talking about a realistic outcome for the year. Bully for you if you honestly think we are going to have a 20+ win season this year. Anything is possible, but this is a young team and 17-18 wins was widely considered a reasonable expectation during preseason conversations on this board and it looks fairly accurate to this point.

Damn dude- let's go drinking before the next game, on you.

Seriously, itā€™s not big-time coaching money, but we havenā€™t won big time either.

$450k is mediocre coach money. We have a mediocre coach. Rutgersā€™ womens basketball coach makes as much as Lutz.

Ian needs to expand his game to become a more serious threat. While Lee is primarily an outside shooter, he drives drives to the basket on occasion. Ian generally gets it passed to him and shoots. Sometimes heā€™ll take a few steps and then pass it, but he almost never tries to drive. I only saw Plavich play a couple of times, so someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but wasnā€™t Plavich the same way? The times I saw him I never really saw him do anything except throw up three after three. When I saw him he was a better shooter than Ian is now, but their games seemed pretty similar.

[QUOTE=eason49;281722]$450k is mediocre coach money. We have a mediocre coach. Rutgersā€™ womens basketball coach makes as much as Lutz.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but she has to deal with Naā€” head-- whā€“es.

Yeah, but she has to deal with Na--- head-- wh--es.
Oh no you didn't. :ohmy:

[QUOTE=eason49;281722]$450k is mediocre coach money. We have a mediocre coach. Rutgersā€™ womens basketball coach makes as much as Lutz.[/QUOTE]

Rutgers women have won on a bigtime scale- we havenā€™t

Rutgers women have won on a bigtime scale- we haven't
Maybe because they pay their coaches what it takes to win big time? I don't understand what you're trying to say. We should only have to pay a mediocre salary, but still get top dollar results? We're getting almost exactly what we're paying for.
Lastly, about the administration....will they pay the $$ to get a decent coach in here? Also, how do you justify firing the winningest coach in Charlotte Basketball history after a potential 17+ win season if the next guy stinks it up? If they fire Lutz, then Judy's butt will be the one on the line. The newhire would have to win quickly.

I think that this is a great topic. If you are the AD and think that you might have to begin hiring a football staff in the next couple of years do you have to consider how much you can spend on your basketball staff since a new one would want a five or six year contract. It would cost us more money if we tried to upgrade and would that tie our hands as we try to launch football? If we make a change but spend the same money what is the likely outcome in terms of increased performance? If we keep Lutz and football doesnā€™t happen does it look like the AD staff just sat on their hands?

Based on not much, I think that upping the salary significantly isnā€™t likely, so the real question is would you rather roll the dice on an assistant coach or a head coach from a smaller program. or keep Lutz? Tough questions.

What Charlotte coach makes $500,000?

What do you guys see for the rest of this year and Lutz' future?

I see 8-6 OOC, 8-8 or so in Conf play and maybe 1 win in the tourney.

Hope Iā€™m wrong, I think thatā€™s about it. If thatā€™s the case, I see Lutz in some real trouble. Weā€™ll still be young next year and your only semblence of a go-to guy is gone.

Kinda makes me worry. Iā€™ve seen talk that Lutz has had only 2 bad yrs (not true). This could well turn into the 3rd and next year is cause for concern. Iā€™m officailly worried about the direction of this program.

Once again, I hope Iā€™m wrong and we beat Clemson Wed and go 12-4 in the conf. I just donā€™t see it with this system.

Iā€™m pretty optimistic about next year but what concerns me the most is that we may have got somewhat of a glimpse on Saturday of life ā€œwithoutā€ Lee. When Lee was off his game, we struggled on offense. That could be the case in a lot of games next year if someone doesnā€™t emerge in Leeā€™s absence. If we develop a go-to scorer, then I donā€™t know how anyone can argue that we wonā€™t improve off of this season.

As for this seasonā€¦who knows. I think we finish right around .500, give or take and maybe earn a NIT birth. If thereā€™s any surprise to that prediction though, I think it will be that we overachieve instead of doing worse. Given the expectations going into this season, I think the NIT would be a successful year. Whether or not that gets Lutz an extension is beyond me. But something tells me heā€™ll need to do at least that much to get serious consideration for it. The fact that he doesnā€™t have one yet, one game away from conference play, canā€™t be too comforting for him.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;281654]8-6 OOC
10-6 A10
1-1 in A10 tourney

19-13

Perhaps some for of post season

Enough to extend Lutz? Hard to say.

I personally think, as much as he drives me insane sometimes, [B]he is the best coach we will ever have that will stay long term. We might find better coaches, but if success comes, the revolving door will too. [/B] Xavier has done a good job of being a revolving door and sustaining success, so it is possible, but Iā€™m not so sure with this administration.[/QUOTE]

QFT

As I recalled 1.3 million dollars a year bought Texas A&M a whopping (60-112) after six ā€œsuccessfulā€ years. And, this was one of our very own, left the program after two seasons. Are we ready to offer a little more for that ā€œspecialā€ coach?

what is lutz raking in these days? and not just his base salary, is he making money from his basketball training camps, athletic foundation, cars, wardrobe, housing allowance etcā€¦?

My junior year; back in '01, Coach Moss asked me if I would help with Coach Lutzā€™s Basketball Academy. Of course I jumped at the chance, I sucked at basketball but if I might go into coaching in my later years than why not. Good experience I thought. Anyway, we as counselorā€™s worked our asses off from 7 A.M. - 11:30 P.M. (Wake-up call - Last call -Bedtime). I was dog tired for three days dealing with these high school players. Most of them thought I was Jobey (truely sad now that I think about it considering these were mostly Mecklenburg county school kids who should know a little something about our program). At the end, we got a check from Bobby Lutz Enterprise totaling $150.00. Not alot of money mind you, I was just happy to get something seeing how broke I was. I just remember one of the team managers saying how loaded Coach Lutz is and this is how he repays us. He said a few choice words as well but weā€™ll leave it at that.

So we know heā€™s making more than 150 dollars :blink: :smile:

JK, that does sound like fun, those were the good ol days of Rodney and Demonā€¦ man I miss them.

bottom line is we need to start shelling out the big bucks. how is that done? can alumni donations go towards paying coaches more? if so then i will continue(first year alum) to donate more every year.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;281730]Yeah, but she has to deal with Naā€” head-- whā€“es.[/QUOTE]

:lmao: thank you for bringing that one back. I had nearly forgotten. Classic.

Jim, it has been noted/stated many times by various sources (including by the media during his visit to S. Alabama) that Lutz total compensation package was believed to be between $400-450,000/year. I know his ā€œbase salaryā€ is supposed to be under $200,000, but thats not what weā€™re talking about. Check out Roy Williams and some ā€œbig-nameā€ coaches and I bet a lot of people would be surprised how low their ā€œbase salariesā€ are, but theyā€™re made up in other places (including perks).

Niner89, Melvin did not get $1.3M a year at A&M. As I recall, his ā€œtotal packageā€ was in excess of $750,000/year.

From USA Todayā€¦

Texas A&M fired Melvin Watkins after he went 60-111 over six seasons. His buyout of $600,000 constitutes one year of salary and was arranged after Watkins received a contract extension earlier in the season.
Link: [b][url=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/big12/texasam04.htm]USAToday.com[/url][/b]

[QUOTE=919R;281871]Jim, it has been noted/stated many times by various sources (including by the media during his visit to S. Alabama) that Lutz total compensation package was believed to be between $400-450,000/year. I know his ā€œbase salaryā€ is supposed to be under $200,000, but thats not what weā€™re talking about. Check out Roy Williams and some ā€œbig-nameā€ coaches and I bet a lot of people would be surprised how low their ā€œbase salariesā€ are, but theyā€™re made up in other places (including perks).

Niner89, Melvin did not get $1.3M a year at A&M. As I recall, his ā€œtotal packageā€ was in excess of $750,000/year.[/QUOTE]

Royā€™s base salary was $260K, at least in '03. We all know he makes much much more.

Here is the contractā€¦

[URL=http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/basketball_contracts/pdfs/northcarolina_bb.pdf]Roy Williams Contract[/URL]