Alternatives to the Bookstore

Yeah I think the bookstores biggest issue is the people who order stuff. They are just bad.

1 Like

I disagree…I have several items and they’re just fine.

I stopped by the Dick’s in Concord this weekend. Selection of gear was pretty limited, mostly sizes. Actually had to order product from the South Park location so looks like it is selling off the shelf locally at least. There’s something with the new Nike line though. It seems to run extremely small or maybe that’s just me?

Davidson has a team store in downtown Davidson. What if Charlotte had a team store in the University Lake area? The bookstore isn’t in a convenient location for non-students to buy gear.

1 Like

There used to be a store there 25 years ago. I think it was either called ProSports or Campus Sports.

There should be a store on the street level of the new hotel. Fairly easy to access there.

5 Likes

I’ve been looking for new car flags since the new logo came out. I saw this tweet on Friday and wrongfully assumed that the bookstore would have the flags for sale at the stadium store during the game.

https://twitter.com/CLTAlumDir/status/1433847387970232326?s=20

Needless to say, I walked out of the stadium without any car flags.

I said the same thing a few posts up Mr. Bo.

I completely agree with you, but having the conversation “Davidson does XYZ so much better than us. We should do it like they do” is pretty unacceptable.

1 Like

Riding the wave if the win over Duke still…ordering the bottle opener now for the garage

clt says that blanket could be handy later in the year

I’m shopping for Christmas gear. It is just ridiculous that I can’t find anything online. I can’t find any Nike gear. How is it this bad co side ring the size of the university. It is too much to ask for simple athletic shirts and polos?

I do believe mike hill and even gaber are doing everything they can here, but Phil Dubois signed another terrible agreement with Barnes and nobles at the 11th hour on his way out the door that we are restricted to.

Wish Marbury v Madison applied to awful bookstore contracts.

The way the contract with b and n is structured they literally have no incentive to try to make money on merchandise. It will never get better under this system. Due to the contract Phil signed Barnes and noble has a strangle hold on merch.

This has to be fixed. Yoo much talent add large salaries to just allow this to continue. I have dealt with similar situations many times. It all has to do with negotiations and diplomacy. Do not just accept current state.

Our merchandise selection is horrific!

I am almost positive some people that read this chatbox will sell you plenty of Niner gear at cut rate prices

Last contract should never have been signed. B&N has no reason to negotiate right now.

1 Like

I was in the bookstore yesterday. The selection of gear IN the store is actually pretty solid. My biggest issue with their merchandise is the very high price point and the limited size options on many items (small, medium, only ) for LOTS of things. …I bought a hat, a cup and 2 shirts. Cost me $160.

The worst part, the store accuses us of being cheap and not wanting to pay for quality. I’m not sure they have heard of market competitive pricing. Have they looked at the quality materials and pricing for other schools?

1 Like

I’m gunna be honest, I don’t believe that BS. I stood 60 min before the Marshall game at the kiosk, and watched 4 sweatshirts and 6 blankets be sold in 4 minutes. I got a hat and blanket. We buy the stuff if it is available

1 Like

I gotta be really honest. I have never seen anybody at the bookstore or athletic department accuse us of being cheap. I think that’s a straw man argument we all have made up over time.

That said our gear does not sell well but the reason for that is all the above issues. Online inventory is absolute garbage. Terrible hours for the average working guy at the storefront. No free parking at the store when you can get there. The Barnes and noble average 18% markup that I calculated several years ago. Biggest issue is the lady running that bookstore is not there for merchandising. She’s there to move textbooks to a campus of 30,000 kids. As frustrated as I get with her complete lack of understanding of basic merchandising and branding, that’s not why she’s there and part of why the deal is so terrible with b and n.

1 Like