Andrew Luck to stay for one more year at Stanford.

Well, to be fair, the Panthers aren’t obligated to care what rules the NCAA has.

Luck could get in trouble, I suppose.[/quote]
Yea, that’s what I mean. If he is considering staying in college, for him to stay eligible are there rules that say a pro team can’t try to persuade the kid directly? If he was just going to enter the draft, it wouldn’t matter, but if he is considering staying in school, for that to stay an option he has to comply with NCAA rules.

[quote=“Nugget, post:20, topic:24716”]Another way to look at this is the lock-out could allow him to accomplish all of his goals. He could be the #1 draft, get millions, and continue school (as a student, not student-athlete) while the NFL is hashing out its issues.[/quote]I don’t really know, but I can’t think it would be wise for a player to choose to sit out a year since their game might fall off in that time.

Wait…

how the FUCK is this guy studying architecture and playing football at the same time?

Wait…

how the f*** is this guy studying architecture and playing football at the same time?[/quote]

Seriously! When I went into architecture school at Charlotte…they said, “Brent, don’t even attempt to play baseball, you will not have time, and we have never had a collegiate athlete graduate with a degree.” No joke.

I agree but this becomes a much easier decision to make when you’re not an inner-city youth, from a broken family and struggling to help your mom put food on the table. Luck is a very smart kid who doesn’t have any difficulties in the classroom and good grades probably come to him quite easily. The same will likely apply to him in the real world if he were not able to play football. He has too much character and is to gifted to not be successful.

Sure, making millions, particularly with a fat signing bonus is nice and the path I would not hesitate to take. But I just don’t think some people put the same value on staying in school as others do. And sure, the pending lockout/signing bonus amiguity doesn’t help so Luck is probably playing it safe.

No doubt he could tear his knee apart in his first game next year and blow his chances of being the first overall pick and having a fat bank account. Or he could have a fluke season where he underperforms and drops in the draft but I can’t really fault him for staying in school. I think more kids should but most with that kind of athletic talent need the quick fix on their financials and opt to leave. I believe he’ll end up having another stellar season and remain a 1st round pick for the following season.

But I’m with you, it’s a no-brainer in my book. I’d already be shopping for my first Ferrari and European vacation home. I wonder just how much the lockout played into this though. If there were never any talk of it, I’m inclined to believe he may have left but guess we’ll never know.[/quote]

Agree with those points. To add to it, something that has been said on here when discussing other players who have the opportunity to leave early, the whole point in going to college is to better yourself: financially, socially, and intellectually. By getting a nice-paying NFL contract, he will far surpass any expected salary that his architectural degree would bring in and his social network will be off the charts. He can always get the third part later. Bottom line, if I got an offer to leave college early to make the kind of money he’s going to make, even if it’s a one-time check, I don’t turn it down.

Wait…

how the f*** is this guy studying architecture and playing football at the same time?[/quote]

Seriously! When I went into architecture school at Charlotte…they said, “Brent, don’t even attempt to play baseball, you will not have time, and we have never had a collegiate athlete graduate with a degree.” No joke.[/quote]

http://cee.stanford.edu/programs/archdesign/index.html

It is a B.S. in Engineering with a specialization in Architectural Design. I can see that being easily completed as an athlete in 5 years (he red-shirted his freshman year)

Financially it’s a dumb move, but there are other ways to measure cost/gain than money. He’s only going to have the college experience once, and he’s not going to have a shot at completing that degree for a long time if he goes pro this year. Maybe he reallly likes architecture and getting that degree will make him happy, some people are like that. I like money, but I mean, it’s not everything, especially if you’re just waiting a year for it.

As a Panther fan this sucks though.

Financially it’s a dumb move, but there are other ways to measure cost/gain than money. He’s only going to have the college experience once, and he’s not going to have a shot at completing that degree for a long time if he goes pro this year. Maybe he reallly likes architecture and getting that degree will make him happy, some people are like that. I like money, but I mean, it’s not everything, especially if you’re just waiting a year for it.

As a Panther fan this sucks though.[/quote]

He came back to win the Heisman Trophy.

So we hope for a lock out, draft A.J. Green this year, Luck the following year.

Draft Clemson’s Da’Quan Bowers with the first pick now. AJ Green is way too high for a #1 overall pick, and the only other pick that would make sense would be Nick Fairley out of Auburn.

Luck will probably be the #1 pick next year still, but I think this is a mistake. Look at Washington’s Jake Locker. Probably would’ve been the first or 2nd QB overall, but stays and drops because he has no offensive line this year.

clt says that luck is good because stanford properly feeds their athletes.

Did Luck dominate college football like Rodney White dominated college basketball?

Yes, but Rodney white was fat, and got fatter each year of his career.

As a Panther fan this sucks though.[/quote]

He came back to win the Heisman Trophy.[/quote]

Jake Locker did the same thing. Lost his #1 draft pick slot he likely would have had in 2010 (and was assured of in 2011), wasn’t even a finalist for the Heisman, and will now be dealing with a rookie salary cap. I’m guessing he would like to have the $40+million right about now instead of the “experience” of playing another year of college football.

Matt Leinart, anyone?

It worked alright for Peyton Manning.

Peyton didn’t win the national championship nor the heisman during his senior year. He essientially did what Luck did this year.

Yes. As a Falcons fan, I support this move. ;D ;D If I’m the Panthers GM I would go after Vince Young long before I even considered looking at Leinart. As one of the Around the Horn panelists pointed out yesterday: 30-17 as a starter, you get him on the cheap, and he’ll be looking to prove something after the screw up this season. Use him until you can get the franchise guy in the draft that you’re really after.

Very disappointing that Luck will not be in the draft. Do you draft Cam Newton now? I would not want Vince Young. Any guy who loses his starting job to Kerry Collins more than once…well that is a red flag. Matt Lienert is a bust. Maybe you just take a chance on Newton and hope it works out.

Wait…

Seriously! When I went into architecture school at Charlotte…they said, “Brent, don’t even attempt to play baseball, you will not have time, and we have never had a collegiate athlete graduate with a degree.” No joke.[/quote]

That’s b/c Andrew Luck is smarter than you.