I think this continues to linger becauseā€¦

Observer thinking:

-Be very good and weā€™ll provide very good coverage

Niner fan/alum thinking:

-Only DI program in Meck County
-Above average/high-major program
-Public/State University with 18,000 students
-Large Alumni population in Charlotte area

Itā€™s difficult to handle for someā€¦when the Bobcats show up and get immediate major coverage. The Panthers lose and get the same amount of coverage. The ACC gets covered like the hometown team.

Anyways, until the lines of thought mesh, weā€™ll have these ongoing debates.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 10:25 AM [b] I think this continues to linger because...

Observer thinking:

-Be very good and weā€™ll provide very good coverage

Niner fan/alum thinking:

-Only DI program in Meck County
-Above average/high-major program
-Public/State University with 18,000 students
-Large Alumni population in Charlotte area

Itā€™s difficult to handle for someā€¦when the Bobcats show up and get immediate major coverage. The Panthers lose and get the same amount of coverage. The ACC gets covered like the hometown team.

Anyways, until the lines of thought mesh, weā€™ll have these ongoing debates. [/b]

Theyā€™re never going to mesh.

I'm not taking this personally. I know you're passionate, and you should be. It's your school. My only frustration is that some of you don't seem to get the point. We're going to cover you regardless. But you compete with other sports interests, all with big followings among the readers/customers of the Observer. If you expect us to display the Niners like the High Point Enterprise covers HPU or the Knoxville paper covers Tennessee, you're going to be disappointed. That said, be great, and I can't ignore you. That part's up to the team.
[i]Originally posted by CPA_Niner+Nov 5 2004, 09:11 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (CPA_Niner @ Nov 5 2004, 09:11 AM)

Nobody questions your loyalty HP. Itā€™s quite admirable! But you simply canā€™t compare the Observer to the HP Enterprise or the G-boro News and Record. The Observer is not only Charlotteā€™s flagship newspaper but it is also all of NORTH CAROLINAā€™S flagship newspaper.

Go to Yahoo > News and Media > Newspapers and youā€™ll see a full alphabetical listing of all the newspapers in the nation. The only NC newspaper is the Charlotte Observer. So what Iā€™m saying is that they do more than cover the local college team.

They are ALWAYS going to cover the ACC. They are ALWAYS going to cover the Pro Sports teams. What cityā€™s newspaper doesnā€™t cover the cityā€™s pro sports teams in depth? Thatā€™s a ridiculous thought.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 10:56 AM [b] Go to Yahoo > News and Media > Newspapers and you'll see a full alphabetical listing of all the newspapers in the nation. The only NC newspaper is the Charlotte Observer. So what I'm saying is that they do more than cover the local college team. [/b]
bobblin, I will be polite from this point forward but I call BS. Don't provide credit when none is due.

Search a tiny bit more please. On that page, Yahoo considers Charlotte to be the only metro in North Carolina, tell that one to people in Raleigh. If you will search slightly farther on Yahoo, you will see a list/link of every newspaper in the state, not just the Observer. Or go to Newslink.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 10:24 AM [b] [SIZE=1]Maybe when you're older and as wise as Over40, you will understand these things.[/SIZE] [/b]
Love that quote. B)

Once again, I think most of us are very pleased with this yearā€™s coverage, but years of getting a raw deal has left much skepticism & bad memories as well. If the Big O keeps it up, time will heal some of the wounds.

GO NINERS!!!

B) B) B)

Sounds like the observer needs some market competition to get with ā€œitā€.

[i]Originally posted by Niner@wake[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 11:43 AM [b] Sounds like the observer needs some market competition to get with "it". [/b]
That'd be the best thing that ever happened for me, on numerous fronts. Feel free to start one at your leisure.
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 11:24 AM [b] bobblin, I've been realistic... since about 1979. And no, HPU isn't front page every day but they do get more minor sports coverage than the Obsever provides the 49ers. The Greensboro News & Record does equally as well with coverage of Greensboro College, Guilford College and UNCG. Do people care, I don't know, by the info is out there for the public to read. I think we have a legitimate right to complain about coverage and if Mike is going to come on this board and complain about any comments we have, he should be prepared to accept the responses, both good and bad.

Mr. Bo, the ā€œIf people continue to bash the Observer and other local media outlets, where do you think that will get us??ā€ comment is ridiculous. Have you not listened or read the comments posted by those who did hear made about the Charlotte program on WFNZ by some of their so-called broadcasters? If your radio outlet is not going to support you, will you support them?

Perhaps you want to simply censor my comments or ask me (and others) to rah-rah the Observer. If Iā€™m not allowed to post what I feel, have one of the mods contact me, I want my posts to be bobblin/Bo approved before everyone reads them. Iā€™ll be damn more than happy to oblige you, faithfully following and supporting the athletic program and the University since 1976 doesnā€™t count in your eyes.

[SIZE=1]Maybe when youā€™re older and as wise as Over40, you will understand these things.[/SIZE] [/b]

I personally am tired of the ā€œForty Whinerā€ reputation. The Observers coverage this pre season so far has been great, yet people have been jumping all over the Observer. All that does is fuel the reputation more and more.

It does no good to bitch about lack of coverage, because we have no control over it. You have seen what the bitching has done (see Forty Whiner article). Everyone on this board knows about the lack of coverage, Why constantly beat it to the ground?

Yes, it would be nice to see the 49ers on the front page more often, but there is no need to get bent out of shape if theyā€™re not.

Oh yes, the topic that never goes away!

Iā€™m going to give the Observer the benefit of the doubt on this one. So far, so very good! [And itā€™s not just menā€™s basketball, either.]

BTW, Lefty, letā€™s not forget that there is another D1 program in the county. Still, itā€™s true we are the only D1 program in Charlotte.

Also, The Charlotte Observer is not the flagship newspaper for the state of North Carolina. Certainly not with the News & Observer of Raleigh as well.

Anyway, with all the coverage weā€™ve gotten thus far, Hell is solidly frozen overā€¦ :lol:

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 12:29 PM [b] BTW, Lefty, let's not forget that there is another D1 program in the county. Still, it's true we are the only D1 program in Charlotte.

[/b]

My bad. Davidson is still in Meck county. Yet private and small.

The taxpayers want to read about the state funded Meckenburg county institution. :smiley:

Persinger you are almost laughable!

Iā€™m sorry but that shouldā€™ve been said! I mean he said what weā€™ve all known. The Little O is going to do nothing more than throw you conformers carrots from time to time, and blind you with corky things like the jerseys???

That is SO ridiculous. I was holding off saying that but it is what it is.

I just lost the last ounce of respect I had for Persinger and the Observer, and then he gets up here and makes a plea?

I fee like I canā€™t win

Oh boo hoo! DO YOUR JOB! Your job is to report the news and if a hometown team on the verge of being ranked in the top 25 who has three future NBA players on it and an exciting style of basketball isnā€™t news, than nothing is!

Talk to your ad sales department if you want to sell papers, thatā€™s where the $$ comes from anyway. How many bills do you pay off of subscription sales?

Those rinky dink things youā€™re giving us are cute but give me one feature before another one of thoseā€¦ Things.

The Observer is done and has been for a while now, in most peoples book.

Donā€™t you just love it when basketball season around here rolls around, Mike? :argue: :silly:

Who are the three future NBA players?

1. Curtis Withers
  2. ?
  3. ?

I think the jury is still out on anybody but Curtisā€¦

EJ Drayton and Eddie Basden would be my guess.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 02:07 PM [b] Don't you just love it when basketball season around here rolls around, Mike? :argue: :silly: [/b]
jcl, there's no doubt in my mind that this is his favorite time of the year.

Iā€™m sure his favorite saying is:

ā€œNothing could be finer than to argue with a Ninerā€.

Just kidding Mike.

B) B) B)

[i]Originally posted by 82NinerAlum[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 01:54 PM [b] Persinger you are almost laughable!

Iā€™m sorry but that shouldā€™ve been said! I mean he said what weā€™ve all known. The Little O is going to do nothing more than throw you conformers carrots from time to time, and blind you with corky things like the jerseys???

That is SO ridiculous. I was holding off saying that but it is what it is.

I just lost the last ounce of respect I had for Persinger and the Observer, and then he gets up here and makes a plea?

I fee like I canā€™t win

Oh boo hoo! DO YOUR JOB! Your job is to report the news and if a hometown team on the verge of being ranked in the top 25 who has three future NBA players on it and an exciting style of basketball isnā€™t news, than nothing is!

Talk to your ad sales department if you want to sell papers, thatā€™s where the $$ comes from anyway. How many bills do you pay off of subscription sales?

Those rinky dink things youā€™re giving us are cute but give me one feature before another one of thoseā€¦ Things.

The Observer is done and has been for a while now, in most peoples book. [/b]

You better be careful 82 or Persinger will invite you to lunch.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Nov 6 2004, 07:32 PM [b] You better be careful 82 or Persinger will invite you to lunch. [/b]
Hmmmmmm............ He never invited me to lunch.

Itā€™s been called to my attention that the Observer is doing the Q&A with EVERY acc team (yes, the ones who suck & the ones located HUNDREDS of miles away from Charlotte). Canā€™t wait to see which team makes the Sunday edition.

I guess now FLORIDA STATE & GEORGIA TECH are also local teams.

:hammer:

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 12:52 PM [b] [/QUOTE] That'd be the best thing that ever happened for me, on numerous fronts. Feel free to start one at your leisure. [/b]
Your employer know you support such a position?