Another Wrestler Found dead....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/06/25/wrestler.dead.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Chris Beniot? Never heard of him, but I havent watched wrestling since I was a kid. This time a murder suicide apparantly. Dude kills his wife and child and them himself? What is the deal with the WWF? It seems like every month some present or past wrestler dies in some tragic way?

I’m sorry, another? Was there one previously?

I'm sorry, another? Was there one previously?
Last one i know of was Eddie Guerrero sometime within the past year.

That is crazy.

Maybe it’s karma coming back and biting them for having sucky professions.

I kid, really I do.

Crazy stuff… I do still watch wrestling from time to time. I actually met Benoit and his wife while at a TGI Fridays in ATL in '97. He was very polite and kind. When my cousin asked him if he was the Champ Benoit said “Oh no sir, I am not that good, but hopefully someday I will be”. A little history with Benoit… he came up through ECW and really became a star in WCW. He became a member of the four horsemen with the Nature Boy. He left for the WWE in a contract dispute with WCW. He was also known as the Canadian Crippler and the Wolverine. He was an excellent technichal wrestler and spent time training with the legendary Harts. What shocks me the most is the WWE canceled RAW last night to air a memorial to Benoit, which seems odd seeing how he murdered his wife and 7 year old son. I am hoping that the WWE was not aware of those details with the memorial decision was made.

What shocks me the most is the WWE canceled RAW last night to air a memorial to Benoit, which seems odd seeing how he murdered his wife and 7 year old son. I am hoping that the WWE was not aware of those details with the memorial decision was made.
I don't think they were aware. My friend turned it on and told me that Benoit was dead and I had had no idea. So I went to look up details and I don't think there were any available concerning how they died. Just that they were found dead and there was no gun used. I'm sure they would know more than was on the internet, but they probably didn't want to assume that he did what he apparently did.
Last one i know of was Eddie Guerrero sometime within the past year.
Just searching around wikipedia looking up wrestlers from back when I watched and apparently Bam Bam Bigelow died in January of this year.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;245066]I’m sorry, another? Was there one previously?[/QUOTE]

here is a list of wrestlers who have died the past 20 years for reasons other than “old age” (ie, drug use, murder, accidents)

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 65
Chris Von Erich - 21
Mike Von Erich - 23
Louie Spiccoli - 27
Art Barr - 28
Gino Hernandez - 29
Jay Youngblood - 30
Rick McGraw - 30
Joey Marella - 30
Ed Gatner - 31
Buzz Sawyer - 32
Crash Holly - 32
Kerry Von Erich - 33
D.J. Peterson - 33
Eddie Gilbert - 33
The Renegade - 33
Owen Hart - 33
Chris Candido - 33
Adrian Adonis - 34
Gary Albright - 34
Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
Yokozuna - 34
Big Dick Dudley - 34
Brian Pillman - 35
Marianna Komlos - 35
Pitbull #2 - 36
The Wall/Malice - 36
Leroy Brown - 38
Mark Curtis - 38
Eddie Guerrero - 38
Davey Boy Smith - 39
Johnny Grunge - 39
Vivian Vachon - 40
Jeep Swenson - 40
Brady Boone - 40
Terry Gordy - 40
Bertha Faye - 40
Billy Joe Travis - 40
Chris Benoit - 40
Larry Cameron - 41
Rick Rude - 41
Randy Anderson - 41
Bruiser Brody - 42
Miss Elizabeth - 42
Big Boss Man - 42
Earthquake - 42
Mike Awesome - 42
Ray Candy - 43
Nancy Benoit (Woman) - 43
Dino Bravo - 44
Curt Hennig - 44
Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
Jerry Blackwell - 45
Junkyard Dog - 45
Hercules - 45
Andre the Giant - 46
Big John Studd - 46
Chris Adams - 46
Mike Davis - 46
Hawk - 46
Dick Murdoch - 49
Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
Rocco Rock - 49
Sherri Martel - 49
Moondog Spot - 51
Ken Timbs - 53
Uncle Elmer - 54
Pez Whatley - 54
Eddie Graham - 55
Tarzan Tyler - 55
Haystacks Calhoun- 55
Giant Haystacks - 55
The Spoiler - 56
Kurt Von Hess - 56
Moondog King - 56
Gene Anderson - 58
Dr. Jerry Graham - 58
Bulldog Brown - 58
Tony Parisi - 58
Rufus R. Jones - 60
Ray Stevens - 60
Stan Stasiak - 60
Terry Garvin - 60
Boris Malenko - 61
Little Beaver - 61
Sapphire - 61
Shohei Baba - 61
Dick the Bruiser - 62
Wilbur Snyder - 62
George Cannon - 62
Karl Krupp - 62
Dale Lewis - 62
Gorilla Monsoon - 62
Hiro Matsuda - 62
Bad News Brown - 63
Bulldog Brower - 63
Wahoo McDaniel - 63

Why is this story in a sports publication?

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;245079]Why is this story in a sports publication?[/QUOTE]

Because these performers are athletes, it might be scripted, but they are athletes.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;245079]Why is this story in a sports publication?[/QUOTE]

I see even serious moments don’t deter smartasses

well one could also argue that Vince McMahan died too. they staged a fake death to “kill off” his character. But once that WWE found out he came out and said his death was a hoax and then they did a 3 hour memorial for chris and showed highlight reels of him.

Because these performers are athletes, it might be scripted, but they are athletes.

Interesting take…

Wrestling (as in WWF) is not a sport. “Sports” Illustrated, I thought, covered sports. Having a predetermined winner eliminates any “performance” as a sport. Competition must exist in a sporting event.

Ballet dancers, I suppose, are also athletes… never see them in Sports Illustrated.

Oh, well… You can tell I’m bored. Sorry for the thread hi-jack… Continue on.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;245104]Interesting take…

Wrestling (as in WWF) is not a sport. “Sports” Illustrated, I thought, covered sports. Having a predetermined winner eliminates any “performance” as a sport. Competition must exist in a sporting event.

Ballet dancers, I suppose, are also athletes… never see them in Sports Illustrated.

Oh, well… You can tell I’m bored. Sorry for the thread hi-jack… Continue on.[/QUOTE]

Ah so what about that swimsuit issue?

Ah so what about that swimsuit issue?

:wow:
Point taken… :biggrin:

Miss Elizabeth, Big John Stud, and Yokozuna are all dead?

[QUOTE=NLP;245107]Miss Elizabeth, Big John Stud, and Yokozuna are all dead?[/QUOTE]

Miss Elizabeth died at Lex Lugar’s house. He had been charged with domestic violence against her 2 weeks prior to her death, but was cleared of any wrong doing in her death. He was charged with having illegal drugs and perscription drugs though.

i guess the rabies finally got him.

Wow… I always wondered why we didnt see certain wrestlers much anymore.

I don’t watch wrestling as much as I used to but he was one of the better performers. No fad or gimmick to him, and he actually made it look believeable. The funny thing is I’ve seen posts and stories saying he left for contractual reasons from WCW to WWF, but he actually left b/c he was held back. If I remember correctly he left and was paid less in the WWF then the WCW but would earn shots as a main eventer. Also, all the stories say he was always nice and gracious to fans and not some jackass. He was about the business and doing his job well, no matter how fake it was. I think thats why so many people are weirded out about this b/c he really never seemed like someone who could do this. I don’t know him personally but he just didn’t give off that vibe.

And yes, a ton of wrestlers die early. With all the travel and drug exposure compare it to the average life expectancy of certain groups of musicians.