Anthony Salter - 2010 JUCO PG

got his release from Auburn after Lebo was fired. Made a visit this weekend, along with DeMario Mayfield (UGA transfer). JucoJunction.com rates Salter as the 3rd best player in the 2010 JUCO class.Rivals -

Scout -

ESPN - 87 rating

any word on how the visit went?

Haven’t heard how his visit went. I heard he and Mayfield were on campus when I was over there Saturday morning but did not see them. Any reports on his game from the pickup game mentioned on another thread? We need Salter badly.

Anthony Salter, Iowa Western Community College
5’11, 175 pounds, point guard
ESPN: 87, Rivals: unrated 4.47 by users, Scout: 2 stars

played in 29 games, scored 311 points
15.345 ppg, 2.8 apg, 1.586 spg,

33.93 fg% (29 of 56) which would actaully be 51%…?? confused here
38.26 3pt% (29 of 76)
73.58 ft% (66 of 106)
league best 44 steals

Add Salter and we are looking really good for both conference play and the NCAA post season. Hopefully he sees the opportunity. Great coaching staff and team core…

I am just keeping it real here, but how can you call our coaching staff “great”??? :-\

I hope they are eventually but we don’t know anything yet if they are good, bad, or mediocre.

Metro, if you grind that axe any harder, it’s gonna break. Good lord.

Here’s what I dug up on Salter:

[font=times new roman]September, 2009:[/font] Salter is a fast, quick and strong point guard that could make an immediate impact at Auburn University. He is a natural leader with a high basketball IQ and a willingness to do anything to help his team win. Anthony can perform dribble moves in the open court at full speed to avoid defenders; he accelerates from 1st to 5th gear in one dribble. His athleticism lends him the ability to drive to the rim and finish in a variety of ways or easily make the right pass to his teammates. Anthony can knock down the pull-up jump shot on the break. In the half court, offensively, Salter can create a great number of scoring opportunities. He has a variety of dribble moves that allow him to get by his defender. He does a very good job of reading ball screens and making good decisions when coming off the screen. Defensively, Salter can be relentless. He will lock into the ball handler and to try to force changes in game momentum. Anthony also does a good job of rebounding down as a point guard, which allows him to start the fast break.[font=helv] [/font]

[font=helv]2009-2010 stats (25 Games)

113/268 = 42% FG
19/56 = 34% 3’s
2.8 asts
2.2 rebs
1.4 steals
1.76 TOs[/font]

Rivals has Salters ranked #3 JUCO prospect in the nation. However NJCAA does not recognize him on any of their all-american teams. :-\

http://www.njcaa.org/sports_awards.cfm?category=Award%20Winners&sid=4&divid=1&slid=2

Thats a terrible A/TO ratio for a PG. Especially considering that it’s JUCO.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:6, topic:23192”]Metro, if you grind that axe any harder, it’s gonna break. Good lord.

[font=times new roman]September, 2009:[/font] Salter is a fast, quick and strong point guard that could make an immediate impact at Auburn University. He is a natural leader with a high basketball IQ and a willingness to do anything to help his team win. Anthony can perform dribble moves in the open court at full speed to avoid defenders; he accelerates from 1st to 5th gear in one dribble. His athleticism lends him the ability to drive to the rim and finish in a variety of ways or easily make the right pass to his teammates. Anthony can knock down the pull-up jump shot on the break. In the half court, offensively, Salter can create a great number of scoring opportunities. He has a variety of dribble moves that allow him to get by his defender. He does a very good job of reading ball screens and making good decisions when coming off the screen. Defensively, Salter can be relentless. He will lock into the ball handler and to try to force changes in game momentum. Anthony also does a good job of rebounding down as a point guard, which allows him to start the fast break.[font=helv] [/font]

113/268 = 42% FG
19/56 = 34% 3’s
2.8 asts
2.2 rebs
1.4 steals
1.76 TOs[/font][/quote]

I have no axe to grind chump

[quote=“Metro, post:9, topic:23192”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:6, topic:23192”]Metro, if you grind that axe any harder, it’s gonna break. Good lord.

113/268 = 42% FG
19/56 = 34% 3’s
2.8 asts
2.2 rebs
1.4 steals
1.76 TOs[/font][/quote]

I have no axe to grind chump[/quote]

[quote=“eason49, post:10, topic:23192”][quote=“Metro, post:9, topic:23192”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:6, topic:23192”]Metro, if you grind that axe any harder, it’s gonna break. Good lord.

113/268 = 42% FG
19/56 = 34% 3’s
2.8 asts
2.2 rebs
1.4 steals
1.76 TOs[/font][/quote]

I have no axe to grind chump[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea I chuckled at the comment, thought it went without saying… but touche.

Salter had two teammates who both went D1… I can dig up their names. The A/TO ratio is weird. Could be the style they played, I don’t know. What I did see is that a bunch of his teammates had over 30 assists on the season (about 1.5-2 per game on average).

He seems to be a dribble drive guy, just going off numbers and descriptions.

[quote=“sokool, post:7, topic:23192”]Rivals has Salters ranked #3 JUCO prospect in the nation. However NJCAA does not recognize him on any of their all-american teams. :-\

http://www.njcaa.org/sports_awards.cfm?category=Award%20Winners&sid=4&divid=1&slid=2[/quote]

Im not sure how often that juco ranking on rivals is updated. I think Salters came into the year highly ranked, but I think he only made 2nd team all conference…(I’m not saying thats bad, Derrio was 2nd team all conf–it just depends on the conference and the type of team he had). But, generally, I dont think he had as good a soph year as some were projecting him to have.

So is he a 2 year or 3 year players? If he’s 2 years I’m cool with it. We need someone now. If he’s a 3 year I’m still skeptical.

I like this guy. Sounds like a guy that can make an immediate impact which is what we need. We need a PG that can play right now.

His teammate Petey Hausley signed with App St

2 year. I wonder when we will hear back from him. I have a feeling he’s going to commit to us, but that might just be because we haven’t picked up anyone yet. Job pointed out to me today that he may wanna go somewhere where he’s the sure starter. He would have to compete with Deuce for the spot here. That could be good for us though, we could have faster paced offense and defense and wear teams out.

[quote=“Ruckus42, post:15, topic:23192”]I like this guy. Sounds like a guy that can make an immediate impact which is what we need. We need a PG that can play right now.

His teammate Petey Hausley signed with App St[/quote]

Yeah, actually the team had 7 total DI signings this year, though Salter is the highest level player. They also have another teammate that is going to High Point U.

visited iowa today. it doesnt list our visit on his rivals page. im worried that he could commit to iowa this weekend. he could probably come in and start there.

unlikely he’d start here.

i know, but he could start for iowa. however, he has to take into consideration that iowa is rebulding and whether he wants to be a part of that.