Asheville People, please read!

Hey, looks like I’m likely going to be moving to Asheville for a job, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live? I’m going to need a two bedroom apartment, I’d like to be in a pretty nice area, and don’t want to live in any of the ****ty 6 unit “apartment complexes” I’ve seen advertised on craigslist. I’m not particularly interested in living near the university, but would like to be near some quality music and food, etc.

I don’t know what my price range is because I don’t know what my salary will be, but I’m thinking between $700-900 per month.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;433430]Hey, looks like I’m likely going to be moving to Asheville for a job, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live? I’m going to need a two bedroom apartment, I’d like to be in a pretty nice area, and don’t want to live in any of the ****ty 6 unit “apartment complexes” I’ve seen advertised on craigslist. I’m not particularly interested in living near the university, but would like to be near some quality music and food, etc.

I don’t know what my price range is because I don’t know what my salary will be, but I’m thinking between $700-900 per month.

Any suggestions would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

TREEHUGGER

I heard this place is pretty nice…look into it…

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;433430]Hey, looks like I’m likely going to be moving to Asheville for a job, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live? I’m going to need a two bedroom apartment, I’d like to be in a pretty nice area, and don’t want to live in any of the ****ty 6 unit “apartment complexes” I’ve seen advertised on craigslist. I’m not particularly interested in living near the university, but would like to be near some quality music and food, etc.

Beware of unbathed hippie wannabes and Wicca fools.

Beware of unbathed hippie wannabes and Wicca fools.
Andie MacDowell lives up there if you're in the market for a cougar.

[QUOTE=NLP;433433]Andie MacDowell lives up there if you’re in the market for a cougar.[/QUOTE]

She’s aged pretty well:

[QUOTE=Powerbait;433434]She’s aged pretty well:

[/QUOTE]

…thanks to plastic surgery.

Which I have NO problem with.

You guys gave been ever so helpful.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;433443]You guys gave been ever so helpful.[/QUOTE]

Just keeping your thread on the front page, for those people who have useful info. :shades:

My husband and his family are from there. I’ll have him put in his 2 cents when he gets home.

Do you drive a Prius?

[QUOTE=NLP;433433]Andie MacDowell lives up there if you’re in the market for a cougar.[/QUOTE]
Nice woman, met her last year while they filmed The Fifth Quarter movie at Wake Forest and I was 2 seats down from her.

Hey, looks like I'm likely going to be moving to Asheville for a job, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live? I'm going to need a two bedroom apartment, I'd like to be in a pretty nice area, and don't want to live in any of the ****ty 6 unit "apartment complexes" I've seen advertised on craigslist. I'm not particularly interested in living near the university, but would like to be near some quality music and food, etc.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Look me up when you get there. Don’t tell HP. He’ll get jealous.

My sister-in-law lives on a side street off of Merrimon near the University. It is a really nice neighborhood full of cute, old houses. It is very close to town, with lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Awesome area.

I’ve been a police officer in Asheville since 2004. There aren’t too many nice apartment complexes in close proximity of downtown. Most are considered public housing projects or are filled with college students and run down. You might check out The Forest apartment complex on Long Shoals Road near Biltmore Park. Biltmore Park is building up quickly with several places to dine, stadium seating cinema, and a YMCA to work out. When I was looking for an apt. I nearly moved there. The Seasons at Biltmore Lake are also decent, but a little out of the way from the activities you may be interested in. I believe that several condos have gone up near downtown, but are going to cost some $$$$$.

Thanks for the info so far. I should add after further consideration a house would be a much better option for me if I can find one in that price range. This comment is only to guide any further insight. Thanks all!

I would recommend two areas. The first would be the Arden area. It is away from downtown, but it is growing up very nicely. The other is the Merrimon Av area that is near the Grove Park Inn. This is an older area of town, but it is great. The cost may be a too high in this area. You need to be careful getting something around the downtown area as it is not the best area to live. The restuarants are great uptown, but the living is not very good. I grew up in Asheville, and it is a great area.

I am from Asheville too. My family is from west Asheville over off Leicester Hwy. Very nice area only about a mile out that road. My brother lives in Westmont Commons it is a pretty nice apartment complex. I agree with the above statement Arden is nice. Off Merrimon is pretty expensive. If you find a place or area just let us know I am sure we can tell you what we know about it.

Call me brother- I live in Asheville and my wife is from here. PM me and leave me your # and I’ll call you.

Thanks for the info so far. I should add after further consideration a house would be a much better option for me if I can find one in that price range. This comment is only to guide any further insight. Thanks all!

Housing costs in Asheville are insane. To get a decent house in a nice neighborhood will easily run you 225k or more.

My parents live in Candler, which is about a 15 min drive from downtown. More “country” type area away from the hustle and bustle.

Merrimon Ave. near the Grove Park is nice. You might want to consider a town house.

Bottom line, getting a realtor if you want a house is a must up there. Hit up Hootie, he lives up there.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;433472]Housing costs in Asheville are insane. To get a decent house in a nice neighborhood will easily run you 225k or more.

My parents live in Candler, which is about a 15 min drive from downtown. More “country” type area away from the hustle and bustle.

Merrimon Ave. near the Grove Park is nice. You might want to consider a town house.

Bottom line, getting a realtor if you want a house is a must up there. Hit up Hootie, he lives up there.[/QUOTE]

True- one of my best buddies is a realtor- I can put you in touch.