Asheville People, please read!

My in-laws house is on the market off of Merrimon for $750,000. You interested? :slight_smile:

I just bought a house in Fletcher, a few miles south of Arden and in Henderson County. As others have mentioned, Buncombe County has some of the most expensive real estate in the state, hense the reason I bought in Henderson. I wanted to live in Buncombe, but couldn’t find anything under 150K$ that didn’t need extensive work or was about 800 sq ft.

I work at the Federal Building downtown and looked around downtown for apartments, but couldn’t find anything with enough space in my price range. I’ve got a buddy that rents a townhouse off Merrimon pretty close to the University, can’t think of the names of them right now but he seems to like it alright.

PM me if you think I can be of more help. I lived in Charlotte for 4 years and loved it, but I’m growing on Asheville pretty quick.

The Orange Peel is cool, like Tremont Music Hall but slightly more intimate. Good shows usually come through.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;433430]Hey, looks like I’m likely going to be moving to Asheville for a job, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live? I’m going to need a two bedroom apartment, I’d like to be in a pretty nice area, and don’t want to live in any of the ****ty 6 unit “apartment complexes” I’ve seen advertised on craigslist. I’m not particularly interested in living near the university, but would like to be near some quality music and food, etc.

I don’t know what my price range is because I don’t know what my salary will be, but I’m thinking between $700-900 per month.

Any suggestions would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

I like Montford and West Asheville. They’re both old and close to downtown. Montford is more gentrified, gay, pricey and quiet, and probably your best bet. There’s some low income housing on the edge of Montford that some don’t like.

Not just montford but the whole north side is worth checking out.
I’d start in Montford and head East toward the Grove Park Inn, staying north of downtown. And while you’re up there, grab a drink at the lobby bar at the Grove Park and check out he view.

This is probably a little far out of your way but I would live in Black Mountain and drive into Asheville. Blk Mtn has some nice pubs and is a really nice quaint little town. I live in Marion and I wish we could somehow arrange some get togethers in this area when the niners are on tv.

Contact Hootie and your life will never be the same…on so many different levels.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;433496]This is probably a little far out of your way but I would live in Black Mountain and drive into Asheville. Blk Mtn has some nice pubs and is a really nice quaint little town. I live in Marion and I wish we could somehow arrange some get togethers in this area when the niners are on tv.[/QUOTE]

Let me know- I’ll meet you somewhere. I hear through the grapevine that Buffalo Wild Wings is opening soon at the old Don Pablo’s on Tunnel Rd. There are a few of us around. We all should do the Duke game if it happens.

[QUOTE=TheShowDawg;433501]Contact Hootie and your life will never be the same…on so many different levels.[/QUOTE]

I am quite the role model.

[QUOTE=AVLNiner;433483]I just bought a house in Fletcher, a few miles south of Arden and in Henderson County. As others have mentioned, Buncombe County has some of the most expensive real estate in the state, hense the reason I bought in Henderson. I wanted to live in Buncombe, but couldn’t find anything under 150K$ that didn’t need extensive work or was about 800 sq ft.

I work at the Federal Building downtown and looked around downtown for apartments, but couldn’t find anything with enough space in my price range. I’ve got a buddy that rents a townhouse off Merrimon pretty close to the University, can’t think of the names of them right now but he seems to like it alright.

PM me if you think I can be of more help. I lived in Charlotte for 4 years and loved it, but I’m growing on Asheville pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

Do you ever make it to Beef’s? The family and I go all the time. I live about 3 miles from it on the Buncombe side.

[QUOTE=hootie;433478]True- one of my best buddies is a realtor- I can put you in touch.[/QUOTE]

Are his initials MD?

[QUOTE=hootie;433526]Let me know- I’ll meet you somewhere. I hear through the grapevine that Buffalo Wild Wings is opening soon at the old Don Pablo’s on Tunnel Rd. There are a few of us around. We all should do the Duke game if it happens.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a plan Hootie. It’s been a couple of years since we’ve run into you guys for 49er bball.

As far as housing, I would live south side. There is more happening down there and a younger crowd. North along Merrimon is fine but will be expensive. Usual Suspects is a great neighborhood bar on Merrimon you would be good to check out. West is ok. It has a wide range of people.

[QUOTE=anipalcraig;433539]Are his initials MD?[/QUOTE]

No- KB

Sorry, when I said get a house, I meant rent a house. I don’t plan on buying in Asheville, I’d like to see if I like the area first before I even think about buying a house up there, especially since they seem to be pretty pricey for what you get. Hootie, I’ll shoot you a PM soon. I’m trying to work up a budget right now so I can figure out my salary requirements, it’s just a bit difficult with no bargaining power as a fresh grad in a terrible market.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;433553]Sorry, when I said get a house, I meant rent a house. I don’t plan on buying in Asheville, I’d like to see if I like the area first before I even think about buying a house up there, especially since they seem to be pretty pricey for what you get. Hootie, I’ll shoot you a PM soon. I’m trying to work up a budget right now so I can figure out my salary requirements, it’s just a bit difficult with no bargaining power as a fresh grad in a terrible market.[/QUOTE]

No Bargaining? Isnt that what you went to Law school for? I mean Ive seen you bargain a taxi driver before lol…

Do you ever make it to Beef's? The family and I go all the time. I live about 3 miles from it on the Buncombe side.

Nope, haven’t been there yet. Just been in the house since the first of the month so we haven’t had a chance to check out the restaurants around this area. Any other recommendations for where to eat south of town?

12 bones!!! a must dining experience! get the corn pudding as a side. the original is in the river arts district (or whatever) and there’s a new one on the road that parallels hwy 25 something shoals rd?

No Bargaining? Isnt that what you went to Law school for? I mean Ive seen you bargain a taxi driver before lol....

No bargaining power. Trust me by the way, a lot of my contemporaries would have already discussed salary, I’ve had two opportunities already. I’m trying to feel out where they are coming from and wait as long as possible so I have as much information as possible so I can get top dollar. I also know what sort of expenses I will be replacing, so they have a lot to work with.

12 bones!!!! a must dining experience! get the corn pudding as a side. the original is in the river arts district (or whatever) and there's a new one on the road that parallels hwy 25 something shoals rd?

Heard alot about this place and have been planning to go for a while now. My fiance actually mentioned going this week sometime. I believe Obama went here when he came up for a rally so it must be pretty good.

We build houses in the Asheville area. We’ll give you the niner discount! www.meandmydadconstruction.com

Bump, in Asheville now. I looked around today, I like East Asheville pretty good, it’s quaint and seems okay. I really liked the area off of Kennilworth Rd, seems similar to Dilworth but not as well redeveloped. I looked over in West Asheville and while there were a couple cute houses, it is still VERY transitional over there, and I don’t know if I want to deal with that.

Overall, this seems like a very expensive place to live considering the quality of the housing and neighborhood.

Anyone got a good, downtown Asheville place to eat at for dinner?

Hootie, still waiting to hear back from you btw.