ASU to Conduct Football Feasibility Study

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205004084&DB_OEM_ID=21500

The goal of the study is to evaluate Appalachian's options with regards to the changing Division I landscape. ASU currently competes as a member of the Southern Conference in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS — formerly known as Division I-AA).

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:1, topic:23996”]http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205004084&DB_OEM_ID=21500

The goal of the study is to evaluate Appalachian's options with regards to the changing Division I landscape. ASU currently competes as a member of the Southern Conference in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS — formerly known as Division I-AA).
[/quote]

I’m glad to see that they are thinking of moving up, but aren’t they the ones who told us we were ******* for wanting to make it to FBS on anygivensaturday?

The ASU athletic department would like to make a special thanks to Chancellor Woodward, Chapel Hill Phil, and Judy Rose. Due to these people, the Appalachian football program has had less competition for Charlotte area recruits without BCS talent. The ASU AD would also like to thank them for their continued slow response even in this time of progress at UNCC. While ASU certainly has no nearby airport for team travel, limited success in sports outside of football, and a small population around the school, we look forward to becoming the 6th FBS team in the state. To our friends in Charlotte, we will likely see you as the 7th in the distant future.

I applaud them doing it, we need a conference mate.

ECU, Char, ASU is a good start to a league for ALL SPORTS.

[quote=“gangreen95, post:4, topic:23996”]I applaud them doing it, we need a conference mate.

ECU, Char, ASU is a good start to a league for ALL SPORTS.[/quote]sounds like a great start.

Would love to see: UCF, Marshall, UAB, Georgia State?, Florida Atlantic (building new football stadium), Western Kentucky (fball sucks, good hoops), Richmond (any FBS interest?), ODU in the mix as well. Trying to think of others as well.

Makes sense to look into it. I don’t think they can increase their stadium size though. It’s big enough for FBS anyway, but not sure that will or could hinder them. Boone can’t handle any more people in that town. It is grid lock on gameday as it is.

[quote=“2k, post:5, topic:23996”][quote=“gangreen95, post:4, topic:23996”]I applaud them doing it, we need a conference mate.

ECU, Char, ASU is a good start to a league for ALL SPORTS.[/quote]sounds like a great start.

Would love to see: UCF, Marshall, Georgia State? in the mix as well. Trying to think of others as well.[/quote]Temple, ODU, Delaware, UMass (?), UAB

Damn that’s a garbage basketball conference.

[quote=“2k, post:5, topic:23996”][quote=“gangreen95, post:4, topic:23996”]I applaud them doing it, we need a conference mate.

Would love to see: UCF, Marshall, Georgia State? in the mix as well. Trying to think of others as well.[/quote]

old dominion, richmond, college charleston, VCU is considering starting football, WKU…

[quote=“jfickett, post:8, topic:23996”][quote=“2k, post:5, topic:23996”][quote=“gangreen95, post:4, topic:23996”]I applaud them doing it, we need a conference mate.

Would love to see: UCF, Marshall, Georgia State? in the mix as well. Trying to think of others as well.[/quote]

old dominion, richmond, college charleston, VCU is considering starting football, WKU…[/quote]Richmond has no intention of going FBS. They just upgraded their stadium by making it smaller. It has 1500ish students and takes a backseat to VCU in Richmond.

[quote=“jfickett, post:8, topic:23996”][quote=“2k, post:5, topic:23996”][quote=“gangreen95, post:4, topic:23996”]I applaud them doing it, we need a conference mate.

old dominion, richmond, college charleston, VCU is considering starting football, WKU…[/quote]

Need some better basketball schools in there. Thats a 1 bid league so far. I would say make a pitch to memphis if they are still in cusa.

FIU?

If it happens, it happens. But I just can’t get excited about being in a conference with ASU and ECU. It feels like a step back.

Middle Tennessee State would be interesting as well.

JMU, Liberty, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State…are all considering the move up. So lets see: Georgia Southern, Charlotte, Liberty, JSU, JMU, ASU, ECU, Temple, Memphis, UCF, UAB, ODU, Dayton, Xavier, Richmond (except football), VCU

Any current FBS universities that don’t offer doctorates? Just curious. I see the Sun Belt loving some App. St.

This convo is turning ugly on the State boards- though Charlotte got a lukewarm reception they aren’t being so kind this time around. (The only Charlotte reference is a derogatory one by an App. State fan)

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=6455998&p=1

Don’t forget the douche Wake fans.

I love the attitude of some folks.

“Why jump to FBS when you’re so successful in FCS?”

NCSU, ECU, UNC-CH haven’t been much better than mediocre in FBS for a while now, why don’t they drop down to FCS so they can be more successful?

It’s condescending and just plain idiotic. There’s absolutely no reason App St, or us for that matter, shouldn’t be allowed to try and compete at the FBS level.

And the biggest shocker is how condescending App St fans are to our effort. It’s surprising that they’re so offended that our plans are to jump to FBS as soon as possible.

It doesn’t take an idiot to see that our overall athletics program, location, TV market, and facilities would be more attractive to an FBS conference than what they can supply. Yes, their football program has been successful at the FCS level, but what else do they bring to the table?

Here is the problem. Our program will never fully manifest itself in strung out geography. The local radio and tv waves will never be excited for Xavier - Charlotte. While I disagree with those we play in the Big South or Southern, the general theme is correct. There are no St Joes grads in your office to talk smack with.

I don’t understand how anyone can view ECU as a step down to us. They are leaps and bounds ahead of us athletically as a whole/image.

We need to find a home, and ASU and ECU would be perfect fits in some kind of a new league focused below the Mason Dixon.

Here is the problem. Our program will never fully manifest itself in strung out geography. The local radio and tv waves will never be excited for Xavier - Charlotte. While I disagree with those we play in the Big South or Southern, the general theme is correct. There are no St Joes grads in your office to talk smack with.

I don’t understand how anyone can view ECU as a step down to us. They are leaps and bounds ahead of us athletically as a whole/image.

We need to find a home, and ASU and ECU would be perfect fits in some kind of a new league focused below the Mason Dixon.[/quote]

I agree with this. And I think UCF, ASU, us, ECU and GA St is a good start. Just need to find 3 more teams at min - preferably that have a decent basketball rep. I still thinking making a pitch to Memphis would be wise. Could throw in UAB and Southern Miss.

Or make a pitch to Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, UCF, Us, ECU, Memphis, ASU - that is 8 right there and one heck of a conference. Add in GA St and USF if the BE falls apart and maybe 2 more. All depends on how happy in the BE Cincy and Louisville are. I got the notion from talking to Louisville fans last Dec that they don’t like it. I would guess though as long as the BE maintains their autobid they won’t goo anywhere. If the league starts to fall apart and reform though a pitch could be made.