Athletic Foundation Donations for FY 2013-14

I’ve been thinking lately about how much I want to donate to the Athletic Foundation for the next fiscal year. Contractually, I’m obligated for $1,500 as a minimum for my Gold FSLs, but I can’t decide if it’s worth donating more. I want to help the program as much as I can, but over and over again, I keep seeing missed opportunities and general ineptitude and lack of effort from the AD staff that makes me feel that my money is being wasted.

Putting out yard signs as to where to park on gameday isn’t exactly rocket science. Buying hotdogs for an annual event for guys that put at least $3,000 combined into the baseball program doesn’t seem like a rational decision. Failing to put out FSL brochures at a Faculty/Staff social in the football stadium, much less having Lambert and the senior staff representing, because of political BS is ridiculous. Not sending out renewal notices to people who have participated in an event the year prior. Why haven’t I received an invite to the Gold Rush auction yet, when I’ve demonstrated a willingness to spend stupid amounts of money? Animosity towards the posters on this board, yours truly included (why doesn’t the AD have an official presence here? you’d think they’d want to engage with their most rabid fans, get feedback on how they’re doing). Communicating the bare minimum on what’s going on.

What do you guys think? Should I donate more, despite the AD, and at least some of my money is getting to where it’s needed? Are you going to donate more or less this next year now that FSLs are paid for?

Uh oh… :-X

In all honesty, I agree with you 100%, I don’t have the skills to say it much better…

I think the AD acts like we are a small program with 10,000 students, not a large doctoral university with upwards of 25,000… oh well it isn’t changing anytime soon.

[quote=“emf, post:1, topic:27767”]I’ve been thinking lately about how much I want to donate to the Athletic Foundation for the next fiscal year. Contractually, I’m obligated for $1,500 as a minimum for my Gold FSLs, but I can’t decide if it’s worth donating more. I want to help the program as much as I can, but over and over again, I keep seeing missed opportunities and general ineptitude and lack of effort from the AD staff that makes me feel that my money is being wasted.

Putting out yard signs as to where to park on gameday isn’t exactly rocket science. Buying hotdogs for an annual event for guys that put at least $3,000 combined into the baseball program doesn’t seem like a rational decision. Failing to put out FSL brochures at a Faculty/Staff social in the football stadium, much less having Lambert and the senior staff representing, because of political BS is ridiculous. Not sending out renewal notices to people who have participated in an event the year prior. Why haven’t I received an invite to the Gold Rush auction yet, when I’ve demonstrated a willingness to spend stupid amounts of money? Animosity towards the posters on this board, yours truly included (why doesn’t the AD have an official presence here? you’d think they’d want to engage with their most rabid fans, get feedback on how they’re doing). Communicating the bare minimum on what’s going on.

What do you guys think? Should I donate more, despite the AD, and at least some of my money is getting to where it’s needed? Are you going to donate more or less this next year now that FSLs are paid for?[/quote]

I won’t comment on what you should do with your money, but I will comment on a couple of examples you gave.

The baseball parking situation is ridiculous. It should not take that much effort to put up a few signs directing visitors to baseball parking locations. More than just a few times this year, someone has asked me where to park and their obvious frustration is overwhelming. We don’t mind putting up signs saying “No Baseball Parking” but it seems we don’t want to tell anyone where they are allowed to park.

What’s the story on the hot dogs? You need to ask Judy about this when you see her at a baseball game.

[quote=“49r9r, post:3, topic:27767”][quote=“emf, post:1, topic:27767”]I’ve been thinking lately about how much I want to donate to the Athletic Foundation for the next fiscal year. Contractually, I’m obligated for $1,500 as a minimum for my Gold FSLs, but I can’t decide if it’s worth donating more. I want to help the program as much as I can, but over and over again, I keep seeing missed opportunities and general ineptitude and lack of effort from the AD staff that makes me feel that my money is being wasted.

What do you guys think? Should I donate more, despite the AD, and at least some of my money is getting to where it’s needed? Are you going to donate more or less this next year now that FSLs are paid for?[/quote]

I won’t comment on what you should do with your money, but I will comment on a couple of examples you gave.

The baseball parking situation is ridiculous. It should not take that much effort to put up a few signs directing visitors to baseball parking locations. More than just a few times this year, someone has asked me where to park and their obvious frustration is overwhelming. We don’t mind putting up signs saying “No Baseball Parking” but it seems we don’t want to tell anyone where they are allowed to park.

What’s the story on the hot dogs? You need to ask Judy about this when you see her at a baseball game.[/quote]

LOL

[quote=“EE9er, post:2, topic:27767”]Uh oh… :-X

In all honesty, I agree with you 100%, I don’t have the skills to say it much better…

I think the AD acts like we are a small program with 10,000 students, not a large doctoral university with upwards of 25,000… oh well it isn’t changing anytime soon.[/quote]
So true. Go on twitter and its way worse. All this hashtag #family stuff.

The AD used to send out a survey of some sort, asking for ratings and suggestions for improvement. I feel like this happened anyway, about 8 years ago or so. This is really something that should be done on a regular basis, even if it just gives people a chance to vent or point out what’s been done right/wrong over the last year. If any of us are going to cut back donations (which we are certainly in the right to do), we should have the chance to offer feedback and let them know why we’re cutting back.

As for the amount that you donate, I don’t think you should be talked into donating less or donating more. Donate what you feel is the right amount, and if you regret giving that much at the end of the year, cut back (as long as it’s above $1500) or give more. I don’t have much room to cut back at all due to football, but have gone through this same soul-searching that you’re doing.

First let me say that there seems to be two sides 1 - you hate the AD or 2 - you aren’t allowed to question them. I fall 100% in the middle. The fact that we have made football happen in the worst economic climate in generations, that we have a beautiful facility, that we had an FBS invite before playing a down and looks like we hired a great coach are all positives. The track record of hiring coaches has also been stellar, keeping them - not so much. With that said our AD is indeed run the same way it was 20 yrs and 10,000 students ago. Our relationship with a growing alumni base has not improved, the AD is run like a family business in a small town, not a large public university. For god’s sake they all go to lunch AT THE SAME TIME! Our AD literally had no experience and no reason to get the job and has done only this job here within an isolated environment limiting the growth of the program. That doesn’t mean she has done an awful job. It is just the truth. I could go on with the positives and negatives - there are plenty on both sides, but that I think is not necessary here.

Everyone has to do what is right for them. I was so pissed off that we had to move to the A10, that we had been so short sighted, that I dropped my season tickets and club giving. I made my point, but no one from the AD called to ask me why and in the end I lost some valuable points. In retrospect I wish I had handled it differently.

The best thing for us to do is continue what we are doing. Stepping in where we can to fill the void (8/31 tailgate, St patty parade, CFI), supporting what we can through attendance and $ and demanding the best. Demanding the best and demanding improvement doesn’t make you evil (all though some will see it that way). You just have to know what lines not to cross. Green Roots was founded for this reason. To be the unified voice that is more difficult to ignore.

The last thing I will say is this is OUR athletic department, not Judy’s, not Hummer’s, not Spease’s. It is our alma mater and we are the ones who bleed green. Judy will leave, people in the AD will leave, but we will still be here. By active support both through money and attendance we can make sure that this job is attractive to the next potential leader and hopefully we can have a voice to the Chancellor on who that should be. Hint: No one internal.

There are a grand total of 5 people they listen to, none of them are alumni.

I agree 100% with this. Well said.
Stopping giving I think it counter productive. You can’t have success without funds. Just won’t happen. And you’re right, Judy will be gone soon, probably in the next 5 years. If you want a quality AD to take her place the job needs to be attractive. You make it attractive partly in how much the alumni gives. AD’s like alumni support, and quality AD’s look for it in feeling out new jobs.
Like 49r9r I won’t tell anyone what to do with their money. Just offer up why I do with mine what I do.

I’d think the AD would study how successful programs operate, as opposed to taking advice from alumni. Whether they’ve done this enough I don’t know. Personally, I like to think the money I give goes to support the coaches and athletes I’m interested in and appreciate. You are allowed to restrict your donations to certain teams, though I guess there’s no way to tell if they honor your request. BTW, they have taken my advice once or twice over the years. They no longer seem to be proactive in seeking out what people want, however.

The athletic dept does do some very dumb stuff sometimes. I guess the parking situation for NC State baseball would be as clear an example as any. I don’t know if this is just due to lack of staff or lack of competent staff or both. As for me, cutting down on my giving would not improve the situation.

Its important to remember that event parking is not entirely or even mostly in the AD’s purview of responsibilities and authorities. I’m thinking that this particular complaint rightly belongs to Parking Services.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:11, topic:27767”]Its important to remember that event parking is not entirely or even mostly in the AD’s purview of responsibilities and authorities. I’m thinking that this particular complaint rightly belongs to Parking Services.[/quote] True that. Parking services is responsible to no one and there seems to be a mystifying lack of communication between them and the AD. I would postulate that there are some ego issues preventing more cooperation between the two.

If the AD had an official presence on here I really would think they were running things “small-time”. No offense guys, but I think we all know that message boards are a well known territory for emotional breakdowns, outrage, and general extremism throughout the athletic landscape…everywhere. There is no point in getting on here and defending. Twitter has provided a decent method of getting answers to questions via privately run accounts of AD folks. EX: “Why can’t we tailgate/grill in the parking decks?” “Insurance…”

Members of the AD do check this board out, I assure you of that.

I’m not going to say our AD is perfect and I don’t think they would tell you there were either. They do talk and research other programs that have been successful – look at the work done for football as NWA said earlier. The most rumbling I heard was the talks we had with ODU, but I remember hearing USF among others. Those are all successful programs.

And for the record, I’m not bashing the board – I appreciate this board as a place I can go for news and information, as well as opinions and the opportunity to keep connected to a bunch of you since I’m not able to regularly attend events. Not to mention its one of the better designed boards I’ve ever been to including BCS boards.

If the AD had an official presence on here I really would think they were running things “small-time”. No offense guys, but I think we all know that message boards are a well known territory for emotional breakdowns, outrage, and general extremism throughout the athletic landscape…everywhere. There is no point in getting on here and defending. Twitter has provided a decent method of getting answers to questions via privately run accounts of AD folks. EX: “Why can’t we tailgate/grill in the parking decks?” “Insurance…”

I’m not going to say our AD is perfect and I don’t think they would tell you there were either. They do talk and research other programs that have been successful – look at the work done for football as NWA said earlier. The most rumbling I heard was the talks we had with ODU, but I remember hearing USF among others. Those are all successful programs.

And for the record, I’m not bashing the board – I appreciate this board as a place I can go for news and information, as well as opinions and the opportunity to keep connected to a bunch of you since I’m not able to regularly attend events. Not to mention its one of the better designed boards I’ve ever been to including BCS boards.[/quote] Well said

FYI one of the other things the AD needs to work on, well the entire campus needs to work on, is being on the same page. Departments do no communicate. Everyone tries to build their own little kingdom with information and power.

And for the record, I’m not bashing the board – I appreciate this board as a place I can go for news and information, as well as opinions and the opportunity to keep connected to a bunch of you since I’m not able to regularly attend events. Not to mention its one of the better designed boards I’ve ever been to including BCS boards.[/quote] Well said[/quote]

My issue with the board is that they do check in on it and watch it. I know this for an absolute fact, but yet they do not leverage this resource at all. Here you have your biggest fans, your most passionate fans. Rather than utilizing this to help them achieve their goals they mostly write the board off as just a bunch of crazy people they need to keep in check.

With that said we don’t have a great track record of utilizing any resources other than what is under their sphere of power.

And for the record, I’m not bashing the board – I appreciate this board as a place I can go for news and information, as well as opinions and the opportunity to keep connected to a bunch of you since I’m not able to regularly attend events. Not to mention its one of the better designed boards I’ve ever been to including BCS boards.[/quote] Well said[/quote]

My issue with the board is that they do check in on it and watch it. I know this for an absolute fact, but yet they do not leverage this resource at all. Here you have your biggest fans, your most passionate fans. Rather than utilizing this to help them achieve their goals they mostly write the board off as just a bunch of crazy people they need to keep in check.

With that said we don’t have a great track record of utilizing any resources other than what is under their sphere of power.[/quote]The day I realized first hand that the school not only monitors this board, but actually figures out who the posters are came as a shock to me. I was at a basketball game and Hummer called me by name. I had never met him before.

Back to the question at hand: Regardless of my opinions on the AD, football has maxed me out financially. The main thing that is going to decide my giving level moving forward is my tailgating spot since those two things are directly correlated. Currently I am in the black lot, if I have a good time I will be back with another $500 contribution to the 49er club. That was the absolute maximum I could donate this year and probably the anytime in in the near future… so if I downgrade tailgating spots I’ll have to at least stay above $250 to keep my FSL locations.

The black lot is going to get a lot of attention being that it is in the center of campus… which means I might not be able to get away with certain drinking games. If the authority gets too anal, I might downgrade spots to a more secluded area, which will in turn result in a lowered donation.

The reliance on student fees is the killer, was 80% of rev, now more I wager with fball. No student(s) can hold admin responsible for coaching hire, tv, marketing, merchandise, etc. 5 boosters at most have leverage on issues, none of them went to school here, except one and I know he is grumbling behind scenes on what we are discussing. One could argue the admin likes the existing conditions I mention, it makes for little accountability.

If there was an army of 30-55 yr olds making 150k a year who are customers, their world would be upside down. And a few of them might be the next Dale Halton. We need 2/3 alum with millions who can call some shots passionately from alum perspective, then this program will operate like a BCS programm.

As someone else said, its ran like a ma and paws general store instead of a large company.

I’ve been waiting 36 yrs to attend a football game at Charlotte. Finally, against all of the odds, it will soon be a reality. We all know it did not happen by accident. Like it or not the AD was instrumental in not only bringing football to Charlotte but doing it first class and with a 2 yr path to Div I.

There are few schools with facilities that compare to ours, certainly none that I know of with the same short history. Our AD is responsible for much of that progress.

Our administration is not perfect, nor is any administration. But they are better than the constant bashing they receive here. Do you really think the AD micro-manages the entire campus? Stealth AD…please.

If someone has a good idea they want to share how about sending the AD or the 49er club Director or
the Parking Services Director or whomever an email…
Dear Mr…I have a thought about something and would like to share it you.

I have received a response from every email I have sent to the AD and the 49er Club Director.

I give and will continue to do so because I love the school and a clean athletic program. When accessing my contribution each year, parking in not in the equation.

Progress in motion, no need to crap everybody out over a few bumps.