Athletic Foundation Donations for FY 2013-14

The AD should get a lot of credit for putting a huge burden on students instead of doing their part in bringing in revenue.

[quote=“eason49, post:21, topic:27767”]The AD should get a lot of credit for putting a huge burden on students instead of doing their part in bringing in revenue.[/quote]Let’s not kid ourselves, student fees are a huge part of funding for many Universities. That being said, could the AD do a better job of reaching out for donations, no doubt.

why is there this belief that what our school has done regarding raising student fees to cover AD budgets is somehow unique to our university? This has been an ongoing, very widely reported issue at AD across the country.

This is not a Charlotte phenomenon, but I guess it does help make agenda driven arguments so by all means continue.

why is there this belief that what our school has done regarding raising student fees to cover AD budgets is somehow unique to our university? This has been an ongoing, very widely reported issue at AD across the country.

This is not a Charlotte phenomenon, but I guess it does help make agenda driven arguments so by all means continue.[/quote]
South Florida, a school I’d consider comparable to ours in most instances is 2.7 million contributions, 15 million in student fees.

ODU - 23 million in fees, 3.5 in contributions

VCU - 15.5 million in fees, 1.1 million in contributions (include them as they have no football)

ECU - 11 million in fees, 4.9 million in contributions.

It seems to me we are on par with other schools of similar makeup. ECU obviously has had football for decades so that 4.9 million has to be taken in context. If they only had basketball they probably wouldn’t have cracked $1,000.
Ours is 10 million in student fees, 3 million in donations approximately.

MK, can you update that post to include our figures?

This is not a Charlotte phenomenon, but I guess it does help make agenda driven arguments so by all means continue.[/quote]
South Florida, a school I’d consider comparable to ours in most instances is 2.7 million contributions, 15 million in student fees.

ODU - 23 million in fees, 3.5 in contributions

VCU - 15.5 million in fees, 1.1 million in contributions (include them as they have no football)

ECU - 11 million in fees, 4.9 million in contributions.

It seems to me we are on par with other schools of similar makeup. ECU obviously has had football for decades so that 4.9 million has to be taken in context. If they only had basketball they probably wouldn’t have cracked $1,000.[/quote]

USf gets this little stipend called BCS money and Big East tv distribution money

Not anymore they don’t.

There is an over reliance on student fees, but as shown it isn’t unique to us. Many newer and younger schools have to go down this avenue because they do not have an older more established alumni base to pull from. My main issue is that I don’t think we have done anywhere close to an acceptable job of helping helping that donor alumni base. We fumble at creating relationships with younger alumni and that will continue to impact us as they grow old without being connected. I hope football helps with this. So to me it isn’t that we have high student fees as much as I think the high student fees cover up what we aren’t doing very well or at the least should be doing far better. Over 100,000 living alumni, 4,000 members of the 49er Club and they are not all current donors. Most of that can be attributed to out of date thinking, reluctance to try something new and most importantly our AD is not part of the Charlotte community - only two people in our AD actually live in Charlotte. They run the AD like it is UNC Concord not UNC CHARLOTTE.

I’d be willing to bet that football will be a big part of upcoming alumni donating to the 49er Club.

Anyone know what kind of donation level we have?

App is around $2.7 million I believe and their fans think they’ll crack $3 million this year.

It will - but if we don’t make the personal relationships and connections it will not be sustainable. Same thing that happened during our first CUSA run.

And that has what to do with the fact that they take more than us in fees and have less in contributions? Oh yeah, nothing.

MK called it comparable, it’s not
USf was generating 16 million annually of BCS/BE

[quote=“Niner National, post:30, topic:27767”]Anyone know what kind of donation level we have?

App is around $2.7 million I believe and their fans think they’ll crack $3 million this year.[/quote]

3.1 Million in contributions in 2011

Really?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/03/23/money-not-as-big-in-big-east-football/[/quote]
What they collect in fees and contributions based on the type of university they are is comparable.
Comparable doesn’t equal exact. Their mascot is different and they’re not located in NC. Has about as much to do with the point as your post.

Reading, it’s fundamental.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/03/23/money-not-as-big-in-big-east-football/[/quote]
What they collect in fees and contributions based on the type of university they are is comparable.
Comparable doesn’t equal exact. Their mascot is different and they’re not located in NC. Has about as much to do with the point as your post.

Reading, it’s fundamental.[/quote]
Math is also fundamental, usf has essential 2x as many full timers. So the burden per student is half, if the collection is same. Need some ice for that?

Really?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/13/big-east-conference-basketball-split-football-bcs-automatic-qualifying-status/1767311/[/quote]They only have it for another year. Then the BCS goes away.

They are in the same tier as CUSA in the new system.

Math is also fundamental, usf has essential 2x as many full timers. So the burden per student is half, if the collection is same.[/quote]
Collection isn’t the same. It’s 5 million more.
Once again, comparable doesn’t equal exact. Your post was pointless. Just accept it and move on.
I like the ice comment though. Especially funny given you’re embarrassing yourself with each post.

Math is also fundamental, usf has essential 2x as many full timers. So the burden per student is half, if the collection is same.[/quote]
Collection isn’t the same. It’s 5 million more.
Once again, comparable doesn’t equal exact. Your post was pointless. Just accept it and move on.
I like the ice comment though. Especially funny given you’re embarrassing yourself with each post.[/quote]

We escalated gradually for football student fees. Your figures considering that? Doubt it. Uncc is at very top of student fee burden in NCAA. Twist it how u like