Austin Duke signs with Toronto Argonauts

Duke , 25, is the all-time leading receiver at the University of Charlotte, racking up record after record in his four years (2013-2016) for the 49ers. The North Carolina native is the schoolā€™s all-time leader in receptions (253), receiving yards (3,437) and receiving touchdowns (24), playing in 46 games. He holds each of the programā€™s top nine single-game receiving yard outputs with 13 100-yard games including a school record 254 in 2014 vs. The Citadel. Finished his career fifth all-time in FBS career receptions and seventh in career yards. The 5ā€™9, 170-pound WR has spent the last two years with the Carolina Panthers, playing on their practice squad in 2017 and through the pre-season this season before being released in September.

clt hopes he learns to appreciate the greatness of proper poutine.

3 Likes

Canā€™t be worse than Armanti Edwards

Rocket Ismail did a stint with the Argos before landing in the NFL.

Toronto is an awesome city. Should be a great experience.

Congratulations Austin!

(I would sure rather play football in Toronto, than basketball in Iraq (Demario Mayfield)).

1 Like

Grats to Austin. Dude works hard and keeps a positive attitude. Glad he is getting another shot.

I also hope someone breaks his records (stares at Victor Tucker). :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just kidding:

Can somebody call my agent???

Very strange that they would have a press release without a contract being signed.

Iā€™ve always thought that he would do great in the CFL.

Maybe he is fleecing the Argonauts to sign with the Sasketchewan Roughriders

I have no idea what is going on with it, but they still have him listed on the press release:

1 Like

Side note: It looks like Anthony Covington is off their practice squad and is playing for the Argonauts now.

1 Like

And Branden Dozier has 5 INTs for the Alouettes. That is 1 less than his QB Johnny Manziel has thrown.

1 Like

Austin was on ESPN 730 this morning and said that he hasnā€™t signed with the Argonauts, but will just be working out on their practice squad. Their season is almost over, so it sounds like he is just testing the waters up there. Apparently if you sign a CFL contract, you canā€™t play in the NFL for 2 years. Heā€™s keeping his options open.

Thanks for that update, I saw he was on there earlier but wasnā€™t able to listen.

Thatā€™s the first I had heard of a 2 year rule before you could play in the NFL after signing in the CFL. I knew the NFL couldnā€™t sign CFL players under contract mid-season unless they were released by their teams.

Did some research about the two year rule. Seems most contracts are two years. These used to allow an option to test out NFL waters in the second year but that seems to have been eliminated. So players are now locked in even if they start receiving looks from the NFL.

Dukeā€™s interview:

http://www.espncharlotte.net/the-wake-up-call-austin-duke-10-18-2018/