Awful. Pathetic. Sad. Miserable. Putrid. Disgusting.

All this game talk is not important. How did the green/white sections look from the student side? ::slight_smile:

[font=Verdana]There is one bright side, very few of their fans came out to see their first win at Haltonā€¦ Otherwise, I think [/font]Pierria Henry was sorely missed. Especially on the defensive end. Typically Ingram only guards the primary ball handler in short spurts when PH is on the bench. Tonight he had to do it the whole game. After getting home from the game, I watched the through the broadcast on DVR and Dave Odom was really critical of Ingramā€™s matador d. Also said our big guys looked like they were trying to avoid fouling. Odom was befuddled at our defensive effort. Major took too long to switch to zone.

Thorne struggled mightily against the double team. We should have seen Bryan out there more tonight.

We were outcoached, out hustled, out lucked (half court shot?), and out shot, yet had a chance there at the end. Frustrating game to lose. Canā€™t wait til PH is back.

Spotty but noticeable

Spotty but noticeable[/quote]

Games like these are why attendance is poor. Its an instate rival that we should crush. (Seriously how does Charlotte lose to a school like Davidson?? :confused: But I digress.) So fans come out to see us smear the floor with them. Instead we go and lose. So now instead of having good memories of Charlotte basketball, the game brings up feelings of anger and disappointment. As a program we have to win EXACTLY THESE TYPES OF GAMES if we want people to come out.

Oh well. We should destroy them next year and re-claim that ugly trophy.

Random note: I hate that the student section did the powder toss. Dblock does that before every game. We should never copy dblock.

copy =/= mock

We were the exact opposite of tough. Davidson deserved to win, they outplayed us and hit some ridiculous shots.
Really uncharacteristic of our team to be so soft. Disappointed for sure.

Many teams are going to employ that strategy until he starts shooting above 70% from the line. I would too, rather than give up easy layups. And you can also walk up in his face after he makes a layup, and before heā€™s able to get his arms back down to his side, so you get an elbow to the jaw and than wince in pain like a 2 year old. Flop-a-Willie seems to be what teams are also starting to do so that it gets Willie in foul trouble.

And another Davidson layup!!! Wait, flashback. I havenā€™t seen pickup game defense that bad in a long time. About the third one of those easy layups that they made, somebody needed to realize that their bigs were screening our help defense EVERY time. Itā€™s bad enough that average white guys are torching us with dribble penetration, but you canā€™t keep getting beat and not make the defensive adjustment.

Ingram and Lester and Cherry were really bad on D. Really bad. The only ā€œout-coachingā€ was Major waited to late to go zone. We went on a 10-0 right after we switched. Davidson recognized at Half that we had a few guys who canā€™t play nose up man to man and they just started going to the basket and we waited too long to adjust.

FTā€™s continue to hurt us but ups to Willie for hitting two really big oneā€™s late in reg. If he get the rebound, comes down and gathers himself on the last play of regulation we are having a diff dicussion right now but he had no idea how much time was on the clock.

Lester had an off game- heā€™s a frosh, get over it people. TWill does a lot of really good things but he missed two point blank layups under little or no pressure. That crap has to stop. If youā€™re not gonna finish it, donā€™t take it in there. Also, a couple of bad decisions by he and Lester hurt us late. But what do you do bench them? Who you gonna play???

Ingram and Cherry are role players. Hard to get too upset with them. They were playing bigger minutes than they need to be.

Missed PH, but they were missing a big part of their squad too.

Thorne was about invisible last night.

Gave up far too many layups last night, a lot were uncontested but they actually did hit some tough shots over our bigs jumping out at them. Hit about 6 or 7 high arcing runners that they ainā€™t gonna hit much but oh well.

I would have let Lester create at the end of reg but I can see the reasoning for the TO. He was going to take the last shot period and I think Major didnā€™t want it to be a 22ā€™ pull up and wanted something going toward the hoop. Cherry was supposed to get the ball back to Lester but took it in himself- probably not what you want but got a decent look. However, that 's why you want it back to Lester, his chance of finishing at the rim>>>>>>>>>>over Cherry.

This is a problem for Willie. He does try to clear people out using his elbows. Itā€™s never malicious or an elbow that would hurt someone, but he moves people out of the way with his elbows. This isnā€™t the first time heā€™s gotten in trouble for it.

[quote=ā€œhootie, post:69, topic:28458ā€]Ingram and Lester and Cherry were really bad on D. Really bad. The only ā€œout-coachingā€ was Major waited to late to go zone. We went on a 10-0 right after we switched. Davidson recognized at Half that we had a few guys who canā€™t play nose up man to man and they just started going to the basket and we waited too long to adjust.

FTā€™s continue to hurt us but ups to Willie for hitting two really big oneā€™s late in reg. If he get the rebound, comes down and gathers himself on the last play of regulation we are having a diff dicussion right now but he had no idea how much time was on the clock.

Lester had an off game- heā€™s a frosh, get over it people. TWill does a lot of really good things but he missed two point blank layups under little or no pressure. That crap has to stop. If youā€™re not gonna finish it, donā€™t take it in there. Also, a couple of bad decisions by he and Lester hurt us late. But what do you do bench them? Who you gonna play???

Ingram and Cherry are role players. Hard to get too upset with them. They were playing bigger minutes than they need to be.

Gave up far too many layups last night, a lot were uncontested but they actually did hit some tough shots over our bigs jumping out at them. Hit about 6 or 7 high arcing runners that they ainā€™t gonna hit much but oh well.

I would have let Lester create at the end of reg but I can see the reasoning for the TO. He was going to take the last shot period and I think Major didnā€™t want it to be a 22ā€™ pull up and wanted something going toward the hoop. Cherry was supposed to get the ball back to Lester but took it in himself- probably not what you want but got a decent look. However, that 's why you want it back to Lester, his chance of finishing at the rim>>>>>>>>>>over Cherry.[/quote]

Good post, but I disagree strongly on Cherry getting a good look. Refs are not going to give you a foul to win the game there. That was basically like having Ian Andersen drive to the basket for the end of the gameā€¦ except Cherry is actually probably smaller.

People wonder why Iā€™m such a grumpy cynical asshole sometimes. Years of this program is why. There is no need to question why there are only 500 fans in the seats at our home games. These are only the masochists.[/quote]

Exaggerate much?

[quote=ā€œeason49, post:28, topic:28458ā€]It sure was fun watching Davidsonā€™s layup drill tonight. How many did they finish with? 10-12 layups?

Our 2-3 zone is bad. Weā€™re literally playing it in hopes the other team misses wide open shots.

How do you make it to this level and not understand how to stop the PG from running down the court and driving for layups? Stopping the ball is like basketball 101.

McKillop ran a coaching clinic. Far inferior athletes and players but absolutely imposed their will with execution. Major was outcoached by a mile.

Team played lazy all game, and it wasnā€™t being tired. They were lazy and undisciplined in the entire first half.

First loss in Halton and it was to to a dreadful Davidson squad.[/quote]
You do realize 99% of those layups were against our man-to-man? WE finally stopped MOST of their drives when we went zone and they went much colder from the outside as well. Yes, they hit a couple late but that happens some time. The zone was by far our best D last night.

[quote=ā€œeason49, post:71, topic:28458ā€][quote=ā€œhootie, post:69, topic:28458ā€]Ingram and Lester and Cherry were really bad on D. Really bad. The only ā€œout-coachingā€ was Major waited to late to go zone. We went on a 10-0 right after we switched. Davidson recognized at Half that we had a few guys who canā€™t play nose up man to man and they just started going to the basket and we waited too long to adjust.

I would have let Lester create at the end of reg but I can see the reasoning for the TO. He was going to take the last shot period and I think Major didnā€™t want it to be a 22ā€™ pull up and wanted something going toward the hoop. Cherry was supposed to get the ball back to Lester but took it in himself- probably not what you want but got a decent look. However, that 's why you want it back to Lester, his chance of finishing at the rim>>>>>>>>>>over Cherry.[/quote]

Good post, but I disagree strongly on Cherry getting a good look. Refs are not going to give you a foul to win the game there. That was basically like having Ian Andersen drive to the basket for the end of the gameā€¦ except Cherry is actually probably smaller.[/quote]

We had 2 players get looks for layups with 7 secs left in the game - yes one was Cherry which isnā€™t optimal. Major said in the post game the play was designed for Lester or TWill to get to the basket but Davidson took that away.

If PH was in the game, I bet Major doesnā€™t call time out to set up a play. I think he was afraid Lester was going to jack up a 3 (I was too) and wanted something going to the basket.

[quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:43, topic:28458ā€]Awful game. Major got out coached and we got out played. The FT crap has got to stop. T-Will was T-Will - plays what might be his best game, hits a few big time shots to keep us in the game and follows it up with a bad decision or a TO. Big Mike took a step back tonight, the defense was beyond bad, Lester went ice cold - everything that could go wrong did. I just hate that we dropped a game to them and to such a shitty version of them.

Everyone want to tell me how we are going to roll App and I shouldnā€™t be worried again?

it didnā€™t even take getting ranked for us to s*** the bed - just getting some votes did it this year.

On to the next game and just try to survive until PH gets back.

The worst part of this - and this tradition dates back decades - when we get a big win and we start to get our crowd excited we crap the bed and typically not against a good team - but against a team that we should beat. That loss causes us to have to make an uphill climb all season to try and win those hearts. I hate this loss mostly because it is the loss that keeps happening and has for years stunted our fanbases growth.[/quote]
I have been saying this all week while so many on here were saying stuff like ā€œeven if PH COULD play we should rest him against D-Son and App because we donā€™t need him against themā€ . The guy is our leader on O and D. You could see this coming a mile away if you have seen this team in earlier games with PH on the bench even for 2-3 minutes. We go to crap. I know it is a moot point now, because apparently he was not well enough to play but the idea of sitting him even if he could have was laughable. We NEED PH against EVERY team we play, no matter how poor we think they are. I predict a similar game on Sunday, but hopefully we can pull that one out if PH doesnā€™t play.

Our man defense was terrible last night, but out 2-3 is always terrible unless your gameplan is bank on missed wide open 3s, which heyā€¦ might work. The man defense sucked last night because our guards were playing terrible on D and never stopped the ballā€¦ guess they were used to Henry having to do it all.

They finished the second half with a higher FG% than the first, according to the radio, as well.

After reading Awful. Pathetic. Sadā€¦ I switched to Davidson pregame, and read those comments. Iā€™ve concluded that the name of this thread (Awful. Pathetic. Sad. Miserable. Putrid. Disgusting) actually is descriptive of most of the double wide dwellers who post on this forum, not necessarily the 49er basketball team. Jealousy, badly disguised as hate, is unbecoming even those who have a great deal of redness on their necks.

Iā€™m too miserable today to read this entire thread, so maybe someone already said it. But based on my history witnessing 14 years of Niner basketball, last nightā€™s loss is obviously due to ARV.

Its a good thing we werenā€™t actually ranked - Weā€™d have never fought back to overtime.

Sorry, I thought I would feel a little better after making that joke. Turns out, I dont.

Thanks, Iā€™ll pass along that little tip to the Davidson grad who works for me.

You seriously registered to post that? A fan who registers on his opponentā€™s message board to post AFTER his team is declared victor does so only to gloat. Gloating is unbecoming of all snobs, even the most entitled of the bunch.

Anyway, welcome to the board. Get a good look at the trophy this year. Weā€™re taking that ugly POS back in 2014.