B.J. Gladden - 2014 SF - Akron transfer

I really hope we aren’t backing off. He seems to really like the idea of being a hometown star. Anyone besides me remember us backing off of Rajon Rondo because we didn’t think we could get him? I’m not saying this kid is the next Rondo, but I’m starting to have flashbacks :frowning:

Stay on him Major!!

The staff is aware of this recent article, we’ll find out in time if we pick back up on Gladden or focus elsewhere.

Any update on this kid?

(Side Note Not sure what all the comotion is about for someone that is a 2 star 85 rated player. Love that he wants to come here…is he worth a schollie?)

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:23, topic:24519”]Any update on this kid?

(Side Note Not sure what all the comotion is about for someone that is a 2 star 85 rated player. Love that he wants to come here…is he worth a schollie?)[/quote]

Keep in mind he’s young. He’s 2013 and soon to be reclassifying to 2014. He has offers from Wake, Xavier, and Tennessee in addition to us, so yeah I’m assuming he can play. Schools like that don’t usually waste scholarships on duds.

I am sure he can play. (dont be so hasty on Ten. I think Bruce’s kid got a schollie and he was horrible!) Thornwell can also play… and he is an ESPN Super 60. I know we all here it too much that we can’t compete until we get studs, and while that is normally an arrogant thing to say…there is some truth to it. Since he is young I would we continue to talk to him and see if he develops into something. Just hope he can do better than 85…

(Since ESPN Hates us I would also accept a Rivals 150 vote of confidence :))

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:25, topic:24519”]I am sure he can play. (dont be so hasty on Ten. I think Bruce’s kid got a schollie and he was horrible!) Thornwell can also play… and he is an ESPN Super 60. I know we all here it too much that we can’t compete until we get studs, and while that is normally an arrogant thing to say…there is some truth to it. Since he is young I would we continue to talk to him and see if he develops into something. Just hope he can do better than 85…

(Since ESPN Hates us I would also accept a Rivals 150 vote of confidence :))[/quote]

I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in ESPN ratings, or really any scouting services. They are all highly suspicious in my view. Be encouraged that we seem to be going after lengthy athletes that can play multiple positions and we seem to be getting the guys we are targeting. If the staff thinks he fits the style, who cares what he’s ranked?

I think it is a bit naive to just disregard recruiting services. If we follow your logic that judging a players potential is speculative in nature, we must assume that Major’s ability to judge such talents is also speculative and according to you “suspicious”.

Again I think this is great that a player vocally wants to come here. Thats huge and very telling of what the message is that the coaching staff has for these recruits. However I simply can not belive that other recruits do not look at ESPN and try to see where the other talented kids are playing. Or that they do not let the articles they see on SI infuence their decision. Again I think this is great but we do need to start landing…lets say…higher profile guys.

(After talking with Major a few times I like him…and he did not seem suspicious at all.)

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:27, topic:24519”]I think it is a bit naive to just disregard recruiting services. If we follow your logic that judging a players potential is speculative in nature, we must assume that Major’s ability to judge such talents is also speculative and according to you “suspicious”.

Again I think this is great that a player vocally wants to come here. Thats huge and very telling of what the message is that the coaching staff has for these recruits. However I simply can not belive that other recruits do not look at ESPN and try to see where the other talented kids are playing. Or that they do not let the articles they see on SI infuence their decision. Again I think this is great but we do need to start landing…lets say…higher profile guys.

(After talking with Major a few times I like him…and he did not seem suspicious at all.)[/quote]

I disagree. Whats naive is to think that ESPN doesn’t rate these kids based on what schools are looking into them. Ask chisox or 2k or anybody that follows recruiting closely and has for a long time. ESPN has a kid like E. Vic Nickerson rated 4*/ 93 (a high major impact player) for over a year before he narrowed his list and had BCS schools all over him and then literally the day after he signs us they bump him down to 3*/89. This happens to us and every other school in our boat every year.

These services just feed the BCS money grab/ESPN hype machine so the top schools always look like they are getting the top talent because they have more fans that pay for the “insider” stuff etc.

High school rankings, outside of maybe the top 15 or so, are completely bogus. You never know how good a kid is until he steps on the floor in college, period.

The rating are still a good indicator of what is players ability is at that time. ESPN is not as good as most of the other services, but these guys know what they are looking at when they see a kid play. Telep and Gibbons have been watching kids for 25-30 yrs and know how to grade a kid.

I do believe if a Duke or UNC goes after a kid that is ranked between 50-100, then his rankings do improve as most think that these schools only go after top 25 kids. Overall, I think you can use these as a good guide. You do not see a SoCon going after players in top-125. They are usually in 250 plus, and it shows that they do not produce top players often. I think a player in the top-150 can improve once he gets to college, but you do not see kids over 150 becoming a top player often. I know that there are exceptions, but it is rare.

Gladden’s profile at ESPN hasn’t been updated in a while. Most up to date rankings are for 2012.

Rankings are great, but I’d prefer us to land the guys we want, which is exactly what we are doing.

Oh I completley agree ESPN hates us. I am not sure why…did we forget to invite a witer to a Birthday party? IDK. But these ratings are importaunt to the university and to the players. We as fans are helped by landing high profile recurits, we can brag to freinds, or help get some of our fellow Alumns who have given up on our program to start supporting us again. (And no you should not give up on an Alumn, we need as many as we can get out hands on.) And they help us recruit other players. Just hoping Gladden can become one.

Back in the days when we could actually play, ESPN gave us much love. We were in the top 10 highlights lots of times if I recall correctly.

B.J., the real fans don’t care where you’re ranked. If Major and coompany want you, Niner Nation wants you! Come play for the green and white!!

[quote=“Chisox17, post:33, topic:24519”]B.J., the real fans don’t care where you’re ranked. If Major and coompany want you, Niner Nation wants you! Come play for the green and white!![/quote]This. I want the guys our staff wants. Rankings mean nothing once you’ve stepped on campus.

Oh good we have descended into who is a real fan and who is not. Interesting that the people who would blindly follow are real fans and the ones wanting to hold the program to some level of accountability are not. Its an interesting perspective that I just cant seem to get my head around.

I want the same people who our staff want…I just want those individuals to be a high profile player.

P.S. I have been watching this team for almost 10 years…not sure how I am not a “real fan” Sorry I did not get on the blog sooner I guess…

Apology accepted!

RT @WillGunter247: 2013 wing B.J. Gladden (Olympic HS/NC) is hearing more from FSU, Miami and Temple lately. Visited Charlotte for midnight madness last week.

If B.J is sooo high on us…and since we have apparently offered (per rivals)…why has he not simply accepted? It seems odd that he is so vocal in wanting to be here…but not enough to actually accept the schollie he has.

BJ “I really like Charlotte! I hope they keep recruiting me!”

Charlotte “You know you are pretty good here is a schollie! (hands schollie) Can we count you in for 2013 (2014)?”

BJ “You know its still early in the process and I am weighing all of my options now”

Charlotte " WTF??" (or at least thats how I feel)

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:38, topic:24519”]If B.J is sooo high on us…and since we have apparently offered (per rivals)…why has he not simply accepted? It seems odd that he is so vocal in wanting to be here…but not enough to actually accept the schollie he has.

BJ “I really like Charlotte! I hope they keep recruiting me!”

Charlotte “You know you are pretty good here is a schollie! (hands schollie) Can we count you in for 2013 (2014)?”

BJ “You know its still early in the process and I am weighing all of my options now”

Charlotte " WTF??" (or at least thats how I feel)[/quote]

A lot can change between now and 2014, even 2013. Major may not be here anymore, either fired or on to a “bigger” school, Gladden may develop an interest in the west coast, Charlotte might change to a conference he doesn’t respect, etc. No point in committing this early on.

also, bj never said he would accept the offer as soon as it was offered but rather that we would be in his top three regardless of who offers.