Baseball Cards

Who all still has them from your youth? I just moved and realized a few things.

1. They weigh a ton
  2. They take up a bunch of room
  3. I haven’t looked at the in ages… Yet

I told my wife they go only over my dead body. Why the attachment? It isn’t the $$, I would have sold them back in the 90’s when they were worth something. I sgould have clooected something smaller.

Most of mine are from the late 80’s and early 90’s, but I have literally tens of thousands of them. One day they may be worth something (at least some of them may be).

It’s (i assume) your childhood. And they were very important to you then, why should your feelings change just cause you stopped looking at them? I know I don’t want to get rid of my sports cards, well I might let the baseall ones go for a decent price.

[URL=http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/011/606/07F.jpg][/URL]

I got this one… it’s worth a good $2 mill.

I still have various sets from the 80’s but no individual cards. Think I sold the individual cards to help buy a guitar while in college. Stupid me.

Still have all of mine. I can show 'em to my kids one day.

Haven’t looked at mine in years but still remember some of the ones I have that may be worth something one day -

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson Rookie Card
1962 Topps Willie Mays All-Star Card (Autographed)
1982 Topps Cal Ripken Rookie Card
1982 Donruss Cal Ripken Rookie Card

And then I have some that I thought might be worth big bucks that probably won’t be worth crap -

1986 or 1987 Barry Bonds Rookie Cards (Topps Traded, Fleer Update, Topps, Donruss, and Fleer)
1985 Leaf Roger Clemens
1985 Topps Roger Clemens

My main collection though is my over 7,000 Don Mattingly cards. I still pick up a couple here and there if I come across any.

Cool story - My grandfather loaned someone $5,000 about 40 years ago, and as collateral, the guy gave him a baseball signed by the 1929 New York Giants. Mel Ott and Carl Hubbell are two of the more famous names on that team. Well, the guy never paid my grandfather back. He has since passed on and my dad is now the owner of that baseball. My brothers and I will be fighting over that baseball one day.

[QUOTE=N1NER;294370]
My main collection though is my over 7,000 Don Mattingly cards. I still pick up a couple here and there if I come across any.

[/QUOTE]

Big Mattingly fan here!! I thought I had a good collection, but not anywhere close to 7000.

[QUOTE=N1NER;294370]
My main collection though is my over 7,000 Don Mattingly cards. I still pick up a couple here and there if I come across any.[/QUOTE]
Dude… seven thousand???

I have a Mattingly card that has an error on it, I think from 1991 Topps (that could be wrong). His hit total for one season is wrong on the back.

[QUOTE=s9er;294325]Who all still has them from your youth? I just moved and realized a few things.

1. They weigh a ton

I told my wife they go only over my dead body. Why the attachment? It isn’t the $$, I would have sold them back in the 90’s when they were worth something. I sgould have clooected something smaller.[/QUOTE]

Still have all mine. Told my 9 year old he could have them all. They do weigh a ton.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;294375]Dude… seven thousand???

I have a Mattingly card that has an error on it, I think from 1991 Topps (that could be wrong). His hit total for one season is wrong on the back.[/QUOTE]

Yes Mattingly is my boy!

I have several error cards from around that time of his but don’t remember that one. I’m going to pull them out tonight if I have time and see what that might be.

probably 280,000 (that’s right)

I dealy a little when I was in high school and college and just never got rid of them. I’ve probably acquired 150,000 in the last 10 years with frien and people I know dumping thier childhood collections on me.

As I’ve gotten old I’ve turned mostly to baseball autographs(probably 6000 on cards, balls and 8 x 10s), but I’ve still got a lot of cards that are mostly valueless.

To make it worse, I’ve got two little girls who don’t care.

Tintin

I’ve got a good 10,000 or so that I collected still in the books. Some of them I’ve put in hard cases bc those will be worth something. I will probably never get rid of them.

Haven't looked at mine in years but still remember some of the ones I have that may be worth something one day -

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson Rookie Card
1962 Topps Willie Mays All-Star Card (Autographed)
1982 Topps Cal Ripken Rookie Card
1982 Donruss Cal Ripken Rookie Card

And then I have some that I thought might be worth big bucks that probably won’t be worth crap -

1986 or 1987 Barry Bonds Rookie Cards (Topps Traded, Fleer Update, Topps, Donruss, and Fleer)
1985 Leaf Roger Clemens
1985 Topps Roger Clemens

Cool story - My grandfather loaned someone $5,000 about 40 years ago, and as collateral, the guy gave him a baseball signed by the 1929 New York Giants. Mel Ott and Carl Hubbell are two of the more famous names on that team. Well, the guy never paid my grandfather back. He has since passed on and my dad is now the owner of that baseball. My brothers and I will be fighting over that baseball one day.

that sounds about like my collection

I gotta sweet John Maine first season minor league card too (thanks to HP)

probably 280,000 (that's right)

I dealy a little when I was in high school and college and just never got rid of them. I’ve probably acquired 150,000 in the last 10 years with frien and people I know dumping thier childhood collections on me.

As I’ve gotten old I’ve turned mostly to baseball autographs(probably 6000 on cards, balls and 8 x 10s), but I’ve still got a lot of cards that are mostly valueless.

To make it worse, I’ve got two little girls who don’t care.

Tintin

wow Tin…you’re sick :biggrin:

I got approx. 5,000 cards still around. I think I got rid of or gave my younger brother a lot of my commons.

But I kept all the stars.

Michael Jordan 300+
Kevin Garnett 200+
Ron Gant 300+ (most of you will be like Gant wtf? but growing up my brother’s favorite was David Justice and mine was Gant. I’ll tell you though, having a guy you follow and then have him stop playing, was hard to keep interested in mlb.)

And I got into about 7 years ago all that grading stuff. I have PSA Gem Mint 10 in a lot of cards. I have the Michael Jordan UNC Rookie Card, Barry Bonds Rookie, Jeters, Garnetts, A ROD, Barry Sanders, Pedro, etc…

Remember that late night tv cards show. ‘YEA!!! WE ONLY HAVE 10 LEFT, THESE ARE GOING TO GO FAST!!!’ That guy could sell anything I bet. I spent a lot of my Winn-Dixie paychecks on boxes and lots they have. PRICELESS THOUGH!

This thread is gonna make me dig them out this weekend…lol.

Yea, like said above… I’ll only get rid of my cards unless someone offers a RIDICULOUS amount of money. A couple thousand dollars honestly isn’t worth it. I’d regret it as I know some of you would or have.

1. They weigh a ton

I told my wife they go only over my dead body. Why the attachment? It isn’t the $$, I would have sold them back in the 90’s when they were worth something. I sgould have clooected something smaller.

Ive still got a ton. Mostly basketball and baseball. Late 80s to early 90s. I remember getting whoever’s autograph I could on them at the Hornets games. Waited in line to get Larry Johnson’s rookie signed when he came out.

probably 280,000 (that's right)

Tintin

I got a NFL 8x10 HOF Lou Groza autograph… never knew who he was until it came in a LOT I bought. I’m pretty sure he was a kicker or punter. Ring a bell to anyone else?

I also got a few Mugsy autographs. He came to my middle school. Pretty cool.

1. They weigh a ton

3. I haven't looked at the in ages..... Yet

I told my wife they go only over my dead body. Why the attachment? It isn't the $$, I would have sold them back in the 90's when they were worth something. I sgould have clooected something smaller.

LOL! Yea, they are bulky and a hassle to move around on moves. But you'll regret it to get rid of them. BUT $1,000,000 could help me get over regret. I'd deal with it.

I have everyone beat… The autograph I have is…

Rasheed Wallace… don’t ask.

I’ve got an autographed Richard Petty card. BOOYA!