Baseball Recruiting

I suspect he’s bitching about the Bo Robinson situation, whatever the Hell that is. I interpreted his post as giving Bo credit for us winning and not Woodard.

Whew boy. I stayed off this board for a month. Frankly, it was a good month. It’s sad the way people use this resource that Mac has worked so hard to maintain.

Let’s take a look at what is going on here: the narrative in the baseball threads have been subject to manipulation by 3 people: one is a well-known former player whose thing is not liking things, a fired former employee that is still waiting for the program to collapse without him, and the parent of a player that didn’t get a lot of playing time. They each have their agenda of choice. It’s not surprising but it is tiring.

Now, for my agenda: Charlotte Baseball winning games.

You want to talk about the transfer portal? Let’s talk about the portal. With the new rules in place there are over 2,000 D1 players looking for greener grass. This is one serious game of musical chairs and there are going to be a lot of guys left without seats. That being said, there are 15 Charlotte guys in the portal that have entered since the season ended. Mr. Bo and I will have a blog post up soon at DiamondNinerReport.com outlining the full list. We waited until Friday since July 1st was the deadline to declare for the portal. I’ll go ahead and tell you, the two names that will get your attention are Gino Groover and Dom Pilolli. Other than those two, it’s guys looking for playing time. Gino had a fantastic freshman season and he’ll have a lot of suiters. Dom is tremendously talented and is rehabbing from surgery this offseason. These are both good guys and I hope they find what they are looking for.

As a side note, I looked up Mississippi State’s portal numbers. They have 15 guys in the portal. Maybe Lemonis has lost control of that program, right?

The other story being leveraged for maximum impact here involves Bo Robinson. You should be prepared to hear soon that Bo has accepted a position on another staff. And they’ll be getting a stud. His credentials as a Niner don’t need to be restated. He’s a legend. He’s also known as one of the best recruiters and hitting coaches in the region, hell, in the country. He has given this program a lot and helped serve as a bridge between the last staff and the current one. He deserves our thanks. I’m not inclined to listen to anyone trying to tarnish that legacy for their own purposes.

That’s it for now. We’ll try to keep those actually interested in the program informed. We’re a week away from the draft so there will be some things to watch there. The staff is also adding new talent to the roster so we’ll try to keep you up on that. Seriously, if you’re interested in the program, follow Diamond Niner Report on social media, subscribe to our blog. There’s a dedicated page for the upcoming classes, complete with links to their scouting reports/stats. It’s all free. We have tried to make sure that things get posted here, but honestly, this place is exhausting.

Catch you folks later.

14 Likes

Thanks for the post, but I must say, that stinks about Gino and Dom…Bo too, but we already knew about him.

Damn Gino? It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up at. After this past year I’m not sure how you can question the HC until seeing what happens this upcoming year.

“I don’t like how the AD has #family and doesn’t care about winning”

“Wait wait not like that”

1 Like

If Gino is in the portal, I guess he’s gone. Boy, I sure do hate that. I love his game and what he did for our team last year. A lot of clutch hits. What a ceiling he has. I loved his aggressiveness at the plate, if the first pitch was a strike he was going after it. I wish it wasn’t so.

Thank you so much for the post! The “Three” against niner baseball are just haters. I watched many beat downs prior to Woodard and we have hit the jackpot with him. Here’s to hoping we go all in and make the improvements to become what ECU has. I had so much fun watching Niner baseball and traveling to the Greenville regional was simply awesome.

Needs:

1. New Video board. I’d like to see something bigger than ECU has
  2. Expansion of seating (not much, but enough to host regionals). Also add in light upgrades
  3. Salary increase for Staff. We can’t afford to be $300k off what ECU pays for Godwin.
2 Likes

Like losing more than one player because he can play multiple positions.

1 Like

Thanks for the support, John.

1 Like

No issues. Once the players that I worked with are gone or expired their playing time, you won’t here much from me. Depending how the draft goes and who else transfers, could be sooner than later!

Situation with trainer? As in a relationship or something else?

I wonder if Groover wanted a more diverse environment.

More diverse than Charlotte campus/ city??

Hate to hear about Bo when couple of weeks back announcers at tourney were singing his praises and also his tie in to recruiting.

All new Coaches deserve to run the program “their way” because their name is at the top of the program but losing 2 young cornerstone players is a gut punch early.

As far as the clean cut look. Had the Braves / Marlins game on. Marlins had a meeting on the mound and the entire infield, catcher, pitcher and pitching coach all had facial hair. All kids till they are pros emulate the pros and I would say 60% of pros now have facial hair . Hell throw in tattoos and it is close to 100%. Would hate to limit recruiting based the times we now live in.

1 Like

I’ll let us have a bad year before I complain about a facial hair rule. I don’t like the rule but can’t argue with results if a coach wants that rule for whatever reason.

Texas Rangers Baseball GIF by MLB

Guys can grow their hair/facial hair provided that they maintain a 3.0 GPA.

No beard for me :disappointed:

Is that true? That sounds kinda somewhat reasonable and annoying. Our players must not be very smart though.

I have no idea about how Groover viewed his “environment”, but a “campus/city” is not necessarily the same as his “immediate community”. I don’t expect Groover to come on here and school us. But we look mighty white. Not complaining; just observing.

1 Like

Not everybody wants facial hair. I give you David McCabe: clean shaven, 4.0 GPA, C-USA All-Academic Team.

2 Likes