Baseball Stadium OFFICIAL Announcement (Robert & Mariam Hayes Stadium)

Official announcement with details and photos over at Charlotte49ers.com. 5.9 MILLION. Thanks to Mariam Cannon Hayes and the Ath Dept for making it happen. :thumbsup:

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/061506aaf.html]Link: Charlotte 49ers Announce Construction of Robert & Mariam Hayes Stadium[/URL]

WOW. That’s going to be awesome.

appears also to be setup in such a way so that putting in more bleachers when necessary, should be pretty easy.

very nice.

Excellent!

That is awesome! I can’t wait to watch the construction of this one. We should be able to see updates through b-ball season. :thumbsup:

I guess the 5 people at the games will really enjoy it.

I wonder if any of that $5.9M will go towards getting a new scoreboard. The one we have isn’t really all that hot.

Nevermind…

[QUOTE=marcushe;177676]I guess the 5 people at the games will really enjoy it.[/QUOTE]
Attendance for the last 6 home games of the season:

5/20 428 5/19 465 5/19 328 4/30 503 4/28 570 4/25 352
I don’t really think those numbers are so bad. There is a lot of room for improvment, but if you have a nice place for the fans to watch and the players to play, people will show up.

I tell you what would get me to the games: BEER, and being allowed to drink beer. Baseball is one of the most boring games in the world to me. The reason I don’t go is cause I don’t like the sport all that much. Now, if they allowed me to bring in a cooler and drink beer on a nice day outside with my friends, I’d make baseball a priority.

Where are the goal posts and dome? I’m sure we can afford that too with all the wealth oozing out of our alumni and friends.

Good point about beer. I know they can’t sell it but could there be a designated area where it’s allowed? Similar to the tailgates?

Some of you guys are unbelievable. If they were to announce a 40,000 seat football stadium, you’d be on here asking where the luxury boxes were. Unreal.

I doubt they’re going to upgrade the scoreboard, though they should. That is something that could be done at any time though. I think once you have this nice stadium, get a couple of high rollers to come sit in the suites to watch a game, and then they can’t tell what the score is because the bulbs have blown out … magically a scoreboard will appear the next season.

The images make it look first class. Chairback seating, in ground dugouts, bleachers, room for expansion, still room to sit on the hill … improved press facilities with TV capabilities …

Sounds a lot like what Winthrop has, or better … and look at where their program is today.

We will have some vicious crowds at games once this thing is completed. Those 500+ crowds will become more the norm than the exception.

Very attractive stadium… Attractive to recruits, students and alumni. The fact that its TV friendly too is a nice touch.

[QUOTE=Brick Tamland, Weather;177695]Some of you guys are unbelievable. If they were to announce a 40,000 seat football stadium, you’d be on here asking where the luxury boxes were. Unreal.
[/QUOTE]

truth

[QUOTE]RT Dooley Construction Company is scheduled to begin construction of Robert and Mariam Hayes Stadium in August with an aggressive completion target of early February. [/QUOTE]

If this project goes like anything else on campus, the baseball team may be looking for a temporary home come March.

It should be nice when it is finished, hopefully it draws more people to the games.

This is a great thing, what is next on our upgrade list? When i’m old and have kids ready to go to college, I want them to say “you went to Charlotte?” Of course by then it will be a very cool thing to come here and my kids would be very proud of me.

OK so let me get this straight, we were able to come up with 5.9 million for a baseball stadium, where crowds of 500 are considered good. In addition to that we are talking college baseball, which while it has a small passionate following is not anywhere near the popularity of another college sport that uses a brown oblong shaped ball.

All I am pointing out is that we seem to be able to do stuff like this when we put our minds to it, yet football is always considered outside the realm of doable to our AD.

I could careless about baseball, infact I hate the sport. With that said I think it is great that we are getting a better place to play and recruit. If we could just throw a similar effort behind football I would piss my pants in joy and jubilation.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;177718]OK so let me get this straight, we were able to come up with 5.9 million for a baseball stadium, where crowds of 500 are considered good. In addition to that we are talking college baseball, which while it has a small passionate following is not anywhere near the popularity of another college sport that uses a brown oblong shaped ball.

All I am pointing out is that we seem to be able to do stuff like this when we put our minds to it, yet football is always considered outside the realm of doable to our AD.

I could careless about baseball, infact I hate the sport. With that said I think it is great that we are getting a better place to play and recruit. If we could just throw a similar effort behind football I would piss my pants in joy and jubilation.[/QUOTE]

Good point. FWIW, Dr. Dubois has replied to my emails with statements like, “We must fully fund every sport that we currently have, as well as provide top-notch facilities.”

Perhaps the new baseball stadium gets us one step closer to football…

some of you guys are unreal. Do you grasp that getting a football team boils down to much more than $$$$! I do not understand what you are saying when u say “if we could raise 5 million for baseball we can do it for football.” lets not get specific but getting a football team relies more than just money coming in.

this is a great stride for the athletic program at Charlotte, no matter what some of you say. Start embracing these other sports like soccer, softball and baseball because they will be winning at a higher level sooner than the sport played on the hardcourt.

womens soccer, softball and baseball will all make it to the NCAA regionals next season. With a good chance to advance even further. BUT the majority of you will still be pouting about football.

no wonder why people say our fan base SUCKS!! some of you on this board give niner fans a bad name.

Start embracing these other sports like soccer, softball and baseball because they will be winning at a higher level sooner than the sport played on the hardcourt.

Seems to me that our school is known the most for which sport??? Oh yes that sport played on the hardcourt. Lets take a look at the stats over the last 12 years. This doesnt mean I am putting down the other sports. Not at all. These programs are building momentum. But we are a basketball school.

I cannot wait to watch the games from this awesome stadium. Go Niners!