Baseball Team

Is anybody besides me getting a little worried about the baseball team? I know they’re still 27-7 right now, but it seems like they’re not playing as well lately and giving up a lot of runs late in games (8th-9th innings). I think we’ve lost like 4 of our last 8-9 games and had several more close calls. This weekend we lost our first conference series in~ 2 years by giving up 1 run in the 9th on Friday and 5 runs in the 9th on Sunday to a mediocre Xavier team. Not to mention giving up several late runs on Saturday before winning in the bottom of the 9th ourselves.

Metro, am I worrying for nothing? Is our bullpen just not that good? Whats your opinion?

:unhappy:

I was wondering the same thing. As I recall, all of our games against X in this most recent series were decided late in the game.

919, I have been thinking the same thing. They just havent seemed like the same Niners team from a few weeks ago.

Is anybody besides me getting a little worried about the baseball team? I know they're still 27-7 right now, but it seems like they're not playing as well lately and giving up a lot of runs late in games (8th-9th innings). I think we've lost like 4 of our last 8-9 games and had several more close calls. This weekend we lost our first conference series in~ 2 years by giving up 1 run in the 9th on Friday and 5 runs in the 9th on Sunday to a mediocre Xavier team. Not to mention giving up several late runs on Saturday before winning in the bottom of the 9th ourselves.

Metro, am I worrying for nothing? Is our bullpen just not that good? Whats your opinion?

:unhappy:

Our pitching has been very spotty this year. At times a guy can look dominant and then immediately fail to get anyone out. Chris Taylor has slowed down his production, but slumps happen. It’s a long season and I think we just have to pick it up and beat UNC! We haven’t lost back to back games in two years and our next game is against the Holes on Wednesday. I think if we bring home a win from Chapel Hill, then we’ll be in good shape.

I’ve hated Carolina since childhood. That’s why I went to the softball double-header last week, & I’m going to Cary to see us vs. Carolina on Wed., & home vs. Carolina next week.

Well, Xavier is a lot better than most baseball fans think they are.

oops, right conference but wrong sport.

Seriously, not sure I’d call Xavier mediocre. Their non-conference looked like crap, but they are only a game behind the Niners in conference play. I’ve also seen St.Louis and Stoneybrook play at the stadium this season. Those teams were mediocre. Xavier played well on Saturday.

With that said, the Niners should’ve won at least 2 of 3 vs. XU. Will be interesting next weekend when 1st place Dequesne comes to town.

Our pitching staff is very, very injured right now. To make matters worse, the relievers who ARE healthy are overworked because our starters are coming off injuries.

Well, Xavier is a lot better than most baseball fans think they are.

oops, right conference but wrong sport.

Seriously, not sure I’d call Xavier mediocre. Their non-conference looked like crap, but they are only a game behind the Niners in conference play. I’ve also seen St.Louis and Stoneybrook play at the stadium this season. Those teams were mediocre. Xavier played well on Saturday.

With that said, the Niners should’ve won at least 2 of 3 vs. XU. Will be interesting next weekend when 1st place Dequesne comes to town.

They should have won all three games this weekend. They blew the two that they lost and tried to blow the one that they won. I hope they get their act together quick, because this weekend was horrid. With that said, I still love this team and expect great things from them this season.

It all comes down to pitching. We can hit with anybody. Right now our bullpen is badly beaten up. McLain and Stahl are going to be very overworked for the second half of the season. That is a big concern for me. We desparately need Hamilton back, now that Pierce looks like he is done for the year.

Our pitching staff is very, very injured right now. To make matters worse, the relievers who ARE healthy are overworked because our starters are coming off injuries.

This is what hurts. Open tryouts anyone?

[QUOTE=N1NER;314222]It all comes down to pitching. We can hit with anybody. Right now our bullpen is badly beaten up. McLain and Stahl are going to be very overworked for the second half of the season. That is a big concern for me. We desparately need Hamilton back, now that Pierce looks like he is done for the year.[/QUOTE] What happened to Pierce?

[QUOTE=Chipper;314230]What happened to Pierce?[/QUOTE]
Took a line drive off the jaw on Saturday afternoon.

Xavier is not a bad team at all. I don’t think anyone would’ve been able to hit against us in the clutch the way they did on Friday and yesterday. Let’s not jump off a bridge yet; we did lose four conference games last year and we had injuries then too.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;314231]Took a line drive off the jaw on Saturday afternoon.[/QUOTE] What and how serious was the damage?

[QUOTE=Chipper;314233]What and how serious was the damage?[/QUOTE]

Pretty serious. Broke it in 3 places. He’s very competitive and I can see him trying (wanting) to pitch again this season. But I can’t imagine his doctor’s letting him.

It was a very scary moment Saturday.

[QUOTE=N1NER;314238]Pretty serious. Broke it in 3 places. He’s very competitive and I can see him trying (wanting) to pitch again this season. But I can’t imagine his doctor’s letting him.

It was a very scary moment Saturday.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it was very scary.

To show how competitive Pierce is, he was laying on the ground with both hands covering his face and the 3 broken bones; and he still grabbed the ball and tried to throw the runner out at first base.

We are going to miss Sam Pierce if he is unable to return, but this team seems to have a lot of fortitude. I won’t be surprised to see them group together and continue their winning ways, even with a shortage of pitchers.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;314350]To show how competitive Pierce is, he was laying on the ground with both hands covering his face and the 3 broken bones; and he still grabbed the ball and tried to throw the runner out at first base.[/QUOTE]
I had to be relieved in the PA booth in the 7th inning so I missed that, but I heard about it. He probably should’ve just held the ball, but the fact that he reacted in that way tells you a lot about him.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;314367]He probably should’ve just held the ball, but the fact that he reacted in that way tells you a lot about him.[/QUOTE] The runner advanced on a bad throw, but I don’t think it made any difference because I’m pretty sure the next batter made it to first. That was the beginning of their 3 run inning.

And yes, the fact he acted like that says a lot. I hope he has a rapid recovery from this injury.

we are slim on pitching. Lots of injuries. Pfirrman had TJ surgery, Moreland who was supposed to get alot of innings is hurting bad, Rosenbaum had a hurt finger for several weeks which made us use other guys for his big innings volume he missed. Its snowballed into a thin situation.

Sam Pierce is very good late but you can’t use him everyday. And now he is hurt.

Also this new schedule is killing pitching. In 08 the same amount of games are being played in 2-3 weeks less of time…in essence it more games per week killing an already thin staff

[QUOTE=metro;314435]we are slim on pitching. Lots of injuries. Pfirrman had TJ surgery, Moreland who was supposed to get alot of innings is hurting bad, Rosenbaum had a hurt finger for several weeks which made us use other guys for his big innings volume he missed. Its snowballed into a thin situation.

Sam Pierce is very good late but you can’t use him everyday. And now he is hurt.

Also this new schedule is killing pitching. In 08 the same amount of games are being played in 2-3 weeks less of time…in essence it more games per week killing an already thin staff[/QUOTE] Do you like our odds for winning the conference again? It sounds like the road may get bumpier.

Do you like our odds for winning the conference again? It sounds like the road may get bumpier.
We need starters to eat up every inning of their starts. They don't have to be stellar, but go 7-8 innings and give up less than 5 runs, because we should score 8-9.

and someone has to nut up from the bullpen and be “the guy”

we will win the A10